HAL vs NCL vs RCCL

smariner

I'm looking at taking my family & my in-laws on their first-ever cruise (to Alaska). I'd like to make a good-impression on my parents-in-law (and my wife+younger kids). Some help in choosing between HAL, Royal Caribbean and NCL cruise lines would be greatly appreciated. Here are the things that matter to us.

1. The general décor of the ship should be upscale & gorgeous
  2. Late night chocolate buffet/decoration (not sure if they still have these)
  3. Activities/amenities for younger kids (5-7 yrs old)
  4. Some food-options for diabetics
  5. Lack of a super-formal dress code would be nice

The specific ships we are considering are HAL Amsterdam & NCL Pearl.

IMHO you have the cart in front of the horse. Alaska is far more about the ports/activities and stuff external to the ship than it is about the ship itself. First criteria should be itinerary and going where you want to go, next criteria is amount of time in each of those ports. Do you prefer Hubbard glacier or Glacier bay? Do you want to see/do stuff in Sitka or would Skagway and the stuff there be preferable? IMHO the actual ship is near the bottom of the decision-tree.

I was on HAL Noordam to Alaska two months ago and on NCL Star in the Caribbean last fall. I've not sailed RCCL, although my wife has. So between those, and from what I understand from my wife's sailings...

#1 - doesn't really matter, they're all done up nicely, as above I've not been on the specific ships mentioned.

#2 - haven't seen that on any of them in years

#3 - I know they have them, but I have no direct experience. There were a number of children that age aboard the Noordam and they seemed to be having fun from what I could see.

#4 - AFAIK all ships have this

#5 - Nothing to worry about there on either HAL or NCL, unless khakis and a polo counts as super formal. "Smart Casual" tends to be the new norm. Even on Gala Nights they say "jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required" which doesn't seem onorous. Of course you can also go to the lido buffet if you don't feel like changing.

A couple other notes...

HAL retains the policy of allowing you to bring your own non-alcoholic beverages aboard at embarkation. Generally they'd also let you bring more aboard in port, but we didn't need to. You can also bring one 750ml bottle of wine per person and you only pay a corkage fee if you wish to have it served to you in the dining room. They also allow you to order a bottle of liquor for your stateroom in advance at (relatively) reasonable prices.

NCL recently banned passengers from bringing any beverages aboard, with the exception of one bottle of wine per person. I think they're charging a $18 corkage fee per bottle regardless, even if you'll be drinking it in your cabin. I don't know about any ability to order bar setups for your stateroom, whether it's possible or pricing if it is.

Edited by gpb11

You didn't mention what RCI ship you were looking at.

Of the 2 choices you listed, Pearl would meet the most of your needs. The only thing lacking, in my opinion, would be the ship's beauty. NCL's older ships tend to be decorated in tropical colors and to me, they look like kids playrooms.

In addition to being the "classiest" of the 3 IMO, HAL is also the only one that has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. So if spiritual renewal is an important component of your vacation experience, HAL (Amsterdam) would be a very good choice. Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the cruise and impress your family!

Smooth sailing ...

You didn't mention what RCI ship you were looking at.

Of the 2 choices you listed, Pearl would meet the most of your needs. The only thing lacking, in my opinion, would be the ship's beauty. NCL's older ships tend to be decorated in tropical colors and to me, they look like kids playrooms.

Agreed about the decor of older NCL ships, neon tacky is an apt description and in no way is it meant to be negative as that was the thing when she first sailed.

Now to tick off my opinion...

1) The general décor of the ship should be upscale & gorgeous

--HAL is old school classy, I'd say that RCI is modern gorgy and see above for older NCL. For just WOW factor, RCI typically hits that HARD. IMO of course.

2) Late night chocolate buffet/decoration (not sure if they still have these)

--If by late night you mean left overs @ 11, I'm not sure I'd pick HAL over the other choices.

3) Activities/amenities for younger kids (5-7 yrs old)

--I'd say RCI wins by a mile, then NCL. HAL offers programs.

4) Some food-options for diabetics

--All 3 will meet the requirements.

5) Lack of a super-formal dress code would be nice.

--You can get away with relaxed dress on all 3.

Honestly, I'd say RCI would be my first choice of the 3 you listed for your wants/needs/desires.

if the ship is what matters to you (more than the itinerary apparently), you REALLY are putting the cart before the horse, as somebody else has pointed out. The wife and I are platinum on NCL, and 3 star on HAL, so lots of time at sea on the 2 lines. They both give a fine product, but are very different in the execution.

Personally, I feel that Alaska is a destination that is more about the itinerary than it is about the ship. If you want a "ship focused" sailing, book a Bahamas cruise on a megaship.

If not, look for a sailing on Holland America Noordam, Eurodam, or Nieuw Amsterdam. Those ships are a little more glitzy and glamorous (especially Noordam) than the older HAL ships. Not that anything is wrong with the older vessels though...

I'm looking at taking my family & my in-laws on their first-ever cruise (to Alaska). I'd like to make a good-impression on my parents-in-law (and my wife+younger kids). Some help in choosing between HAL, Royal Caribbean and NCL cruise lines would be greatly appreciated. Here are the things that matter to us.

The Amsterdam is old world elegance not upscale décor, has no late night buffets, many people still 'dress up' for gala nights, there is Club HAL for the children and many dining options for diabetics. Based on the order of your list - you may be better suited to a different ship or cruise line.

I agree with UPNYGuy. Perhaps an Alaskan cruise is not really the best idea if your number 1 thing is the ship. Alaska is about the ports. With small children who need lots of activities plus your desire for a gorgeous ship, your best bet would be Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships that go to the Caribbean. Many people schedule family groups aboard these ships and they don't disappoint. The ship is a destination unto itself.

RCCL does have a freedom class or voyager class ship that does AK sailings, but a 150,000 GRT ship (1100 feet long and 130 feet wide roughly) simply cannot reach the same depth of itinerary as an 80,000 GRT ship (950 feet long and 105 feet wide) due to the size limitations of most Alaskan ports. Plus, a large vessel doesn't have that "up close and personal" feel when sailing on a nature / scenery driven cruise.

I am of the other point of view. I nearly always pick ship before itinerary. The ship has to have what we want and then we will worry about the rest. We have been on most major lines except for HAL which we are going on next spring. NCL Jewel in Alaska in 2016. The ship was really nice, not as elegant as Celebrity or RCL. The freedom class ships are nice on RCL even the Voyager class. Remember just because the ship is supposed to go to a certain port or glacier, doesn't mean it will. Our 2016 Alaska cruise ended up not going to the listed glacier, due to being packed with ice and ended going to a different glacier.

If you are looking for super elegance Celebrity is great, then RCL and then NCL. Though I would rate NCL Jewel right up there, it was one of our favorite cruises ever. The whole experience was fantastic, from excellent staff to the dining (7 night dining package), so enjoy yourself.

If you are looking for super elegance Celebrity is great, then RCL and then NCL. Though I would rate NCL Jewel right up there, it was one of our favorite cruises ever. The whole experience was fantastic, from excellent staff to the dining (7 night dining package), so enjoy yourself.

Hi Neighbor,

I agree 100% -- If you get NCL's UDP (ultimate dining package) for all 7 evenings, the food quality is up there with Celebrity. We did the Jewel and the Jade using this strategy and it was great. We skip the buffet and eat breakfast and lunch in the MDR. Space ratio on those ships is pretty good as well.

We have four cruises coming up, with one HAL, two NCL, and one with Celebrity. NCL is now our #1 "back-up" cruise line!

I disagree about Jewel. I thought the decor was horrible and tacky... That is the one NCL ship I feel that way about. Hot pink chairs, with striped backers and clashing carpet. DW and I have sailed on every NCL ship except Epic, Escape, and Spirit, and the Jewel stands out to us as having very garish decor. To each his or her own. b0d37a0be413ca1d60ffccd60e11ac22.jpg

Edited by UPNYGuy

Will need to make this decision today. So, any input is highly appreciated.

Since the decision had to be made by August 2d, I'll just add another Albuquerque two cents:

HAL Vista-class aft corner stateroom for 210-degree views, HAL Kids Club, and sadly, no more chocolate nights on HAL ships.

The specific ships we are considering are HAL Amsterdam & NCL Pearl.[/QUOTE]

Between the two ....

HAL Amsterdam for sure!

The kids program on HAL is way-way better than most realize.

HAL deals well for those on special diets.

I disagree about Jewel. I thought the decor was horrible and tacky... That is the one NCL ship I feel that way about. Hot pink chairs, with striped backers and clashing carpet. DW and I have sailed on every NCL ship except Epic, Escape, and Spirit, and the Jewel stands out to us as having very garish decor. To each his or her own. b0d37a0be413ca1d60ffccd60e11ac22.jpg

Just off the NCL Jewel in May and that is not a recent photo. While NCL isn't as sedate in decor as Celebrity, is sure isn't Carnival either.

Just off the NCL Jewel in May and that is not a recent photo. While NCL isn't as sedate in decor as Celebrity, is sure isn't Carnival either.

I was just on Jewel in May as well (first AK sailing of the season, think it was May 7) and it is very close to how it currently looks. The color brightness in the photos is turned up for promo shots ;)

Edited by UPNYGuy