Confused AU/US dollars?

Hi everyone, we will be on an 18 night Celebrity repositioning cruise in September 2016, so no freebies like other sailings. You need to be a member of Mensa to try an understand the benefits of pre purchasing a beverage package in AU dollars ($91 pp pn) or waiting till on board in US dollars ($65 pp pn).

I understand that if you wait till you are on board an 18% service fee will be added on top which is all good, that makes it US$76.70 pp pn. But then we have to consider the exchange rate from US to AU, which I understand from Celebrity is around AU 0.71 cents to the US dollar. If I am correct this make the rate when converted to AU$98.94 pp pn.

So if I am right, pre purchasing at AU$91 pp pn is cheaper, but I have read that this price does not include the 18% service charge which is added on check out, is this correct?

Hi everyone, we will be on an 18 night Celebrity repositioning cruise in September 2016, so no freebies like other sailings. You need to be a member of Mensa to try an understand the benefits of pre purchasing a beverage package in AU dollars ($91 pp pn) or waiting till on board in US dollars ($65 pp pn).

I understand that if you wait till you are on board an 18% service fee will be added on top which is all good, that makes it US$76.70 pp pn. But then we have to consider the exchange rate from US to AU, which I understand from Celebrity is around AU 0.71 cents to the US dollar. If I am correct this make the rate when converted to AU$98.94 pp pn.

So if I am right, pre purchasing at AU$91 pp pn is cheaper, but I have read that this price does not include the 18% service charge which is added on check out, is this correct?

Sounds right,my didn't realis it had got so expensive, pre purchase then comes to about $108 Aus when you add the 18%. But if the dollar drops further the onboard price will be more when you do the conversion.

For me Celebrity only looks attractive when the perks are included. When you have to start adding stuff plus 18% grats. It really cuts in.

That's the problem isn't it.

A few ago it was near enough to $5 for a can of Coke by the time I had the dollar at about 50 cents plus 18%

If you purchase the beverage package, 18% gratuities is already included and you do not pay any extra once on board. We upgraded from classic to premium and did not pay any extra monies once we boarded. The classic package also includes coffees including specialities coffees.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just remember that the exchange rate that Celebrity uses to convert the package price to AUD is not advantageous to passengers.

If the AUD stays roughly where it is now you should be able to get it for just under AU $100 if you buy it onboard AND have your onboard account charged to your credit card in USD - the credit card exchange rate will be better than Celebrity's. ;)

The Celebrity rates only apply if you give them Australian cash to buy US. They charge onboard in USD so if you get US dollars elsewhere at a better rate, that is the rate that would apply for converting.

Also, you refer to the Premium package. However, you can go for the cheaper classic package, or just pay by drink, which often works out cheaper.

The Celebrity rates only apply if you give them Australian cash to buy US. They charge onboard in USD so if you get US dollars elsewhere at a better rate, that is the rate that would apply for converting.

Also, you refer to the Premium package. However, you can go for the cheaper classic package, or just pay by drink, which often works out cheaper.

It all depends on how much you like to drink, if you like at least 2 coffees a day @ $5.50 each, sparkling water @ $4-5 each, 2 or 3 martinis @ $13 each, couple of glasses of wine at dinner and add 18% gratuities it adds up pretty quickly.

It all depends on how much you like to drink, if you like at least 2 coffees a day @ $5.50 each, sparkling water @ $4-5 each, 2 or 3 martinis @ $13 each, couple of glasses of wine at dinner and add 18% gratuities it adds up pretty quickly.

I did say "often" not always, so yes it does.

However, even using your example, that works out at ~US$79.06 incl gratuities, so virtually the same. Would you have that much for 18 days in a row? If you don't keep that up, then it works out financially better to pay as you go - or go for the classic package.

Edited by The_Big_M

I did say "often" not always, so yes it does.

However, even using your example, that works out at ~US$79.06 incl gratuities, so virtually the same. Would you have that much for 18 days in a row? If you don't keep that up, then it works out financially better to pay as you go - or go for the classic package.

It also depends on what wines you like to drink. The wines covered by the classic package are very limited. To get a wider range of wines you really need to have the premium package, or pay as you go.

If you get a really good sommelier serving your table you may end up getting some wines that aren't on the MDR wine list. I'm fairly sure we did on our last Solstice cruise. After a couple of days we just told our sommelier what we had chosen to eat and he always came up with the perfect wine matches.

That's it, what and how many you drink.

Me I could get value out of the AIBP and I only drink Diet Coke.

Yep I'm the one they complain about.

They don't make any money out of us. We book with the classic package and then upgrade for about $350 for both of us for a 12 night cruise. Between what I posted before which was only for one of us. Then we drink at least 6 bottles of sparkling water each, at least 3 coffees, at least one glass of wine at lunch and then a limoncello and amaretto after dinner we get our monies worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone for your feedback

I was advised by a consultant today that at the moment the premium package purchased on board is approx US$62 pp pn plus the 18% gratuity. On an 18 night cruise that is US$1316 pp.

It also depends on what wines you like to drink. The wines covered by the classic package are very limited. To get a wider range of wines you really need to have the premium package, or pay as you go.

Agreed, as said this is for financial reasons which appears to be the emphasis of the OP.

Also the OP hadn't referred to wine at all, so the limited range may not be a concern. There are choices of each major variety in Celebrity in the Classic package.

OK it's been almost 18 months since we were on Celebrity Solstice and we had the Classic Bev perk and upgraded to premium. As mentioned previously it definitely does depend on how much you drink. Coffees were $5USD, cocktails $15USD at molecular, beer from $7USD. We like a drink so definitely got value for money. A couple of other things included was fruit smoothies (made at the bar in Oceanview cafe) that we had for breakfast and premium still or sparkling water. The water was especially good on shore days - just grab a bottle or two when heading ashore. They were charging about $5USD for the water. So it's not that hard to get value for the package.

The other thing we did was pre-purchase OBC through the Celebrity website - I paid $200 AUD and got $200 USD credit. That's right, I got $1 USD for $1 AUD. I had heard before hand that you could do it - but I was unable to confirm the credit amount until I got on board and saw it on our account on the TV in our cabin. That was Feb 2015 so not sure if it still happens.

We're very keen on the repositioning cruise from Hawaii to Sydney but the lack of bev package perk means that we would most certainly suffer from bill shock when disembarking.

Enjoy the cruise

The other thing we did was pre-purchase OBC through the Celebrity website - I paid $200 AUD and got $200 USD credit. That's right, I got $1 USD for $1 AUD. I had heard before hand that you could do it - but I was unable to confirm the credit amount until I got on board and saw it on our account on the TV in our cabin. That was Feb 2015 so not sure if it still happens.

Unfortunately not. :(

We are on the same cruise as you. We pre-purchased the premium package online for $78AUD per night. One the 18% was added at checkout, it came to around $1630 for the cruise. Hope this helps.