What's the use of a muster drill if it takes place in a restaurant?

Thank you for that detailed information! So if I understand correctly, there is little or no training or verification of how passenger muster drills are performed or what instruction is given to passengers -- it is the ship's equipment and the crew's training and performance that are examined.

Sort of a gray area open to interpretation but still subject to inspection. If I remember correctly, there are SOLAS requirements regarding the timing (w/i 24 hrs of embarkation), location (at or otherwise identifying assembly point), and content (minimally, use of PFD) of muster drills for passengers on cruise ships.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Next time you muster in a dining room, look at the tables,

Are they set or unset?

United States Public Health Service ( USPH ) has advised cruise lines that any dining areas used for muster drills must have all dining tables unset before the drill, and then reset after the drill. Some cruise lines comply - and some don't. In some ports, there simply is not time to get this done.

It seems that several Norovirus outbreaks on ships were traced to sick / infected passengers handling cutlery, napkins, and glassware during the drill. The diners who later used those contaminated items had no idea they had been handled ( and contaminated ) previously.

Even if the tables are correctly unset and then reset, the table cloths are generally not changed. NLV sufferers / carriers can contaminate the cloths during the muster drill; those same cloths that you later use during dinner.

I have many times witnessed bored children, mustered in a dining room, putting their lips on wine glasses and pretending to eat with the cutlery. Did the wait staff re-clean all those items after the drill?

What do you think?

Edited by BruceMuzz

Next time you muster in a dining room, look at the tables,

Are they set or unset?

United States Public Health Service ( USPH ) has advised cruise lines that any dining areas used for muster drills must have all dining tables unset before the drill, and then reset after the drill. Some cruise lines comply - and some don't. In some ports, there simply is not time to get this done.

It seems that several Norovirus outbreaks on ships were traced to sick / infected passengers handling cutlery, napkins, and glassware during the drill. The diners who later used those contaminated items had no idea they had been handled ( and contaminated ) previously.

Even if the tables are correctly unset and then reset, the table cloths are generally not changed. NLV sufferers / carriers can contaminate the cloths during the muster drill; those same cloths that you later use during dinner.

I have many times witnessed bored children, mustered in a dining room, putting their lips on wine glasses and pretending to eat with the cutlery. Did the wait staff re-clean all those items after the drill?

What do you think?

Looks like DCL were ignoring the rules by placing tablecloths over the set tables in 2010 by this google picture.

S7300569.jpg

ex techie

Good to know! Thanks Chief!

ex techie

Yes, it is acceptable USPH inspectors.

But it doesn't prevent bored children and passengers from playing with the eating utensils you will be using in a few hours.

It's a great way to spread Norwalk Virus.

Yes, it is acceptable USPH inspectors.

But it doesn't prevent bored children and passengers from playing with the eating utensils you will be using in a few hours.

It's a great way to spread Norwalk Virus.

I'm not sure what would be the solution?

The serving crew for Animator's Palate on the Magic class would be part of the emergency drill at 4pm, and after the drill they would need to shower and change into their serving uniform/costume, also eat their evening meal, then set out the condiments do final checks on the table utensils/plates/glassware and with main dining starting at 5:45.....

Maybe they only put out the plates and glassware? Maybe they check the glassware again when finally positioning it in place?

Is it any worse that silverware or plates being picked up by people in the buffet?

Not sure.

ex techie

I'm not sure what would be the solution?

The serving crew for Animator's Palate on the Magic class would be part of the emergency drill at 4pm, and after the drill they would need to shower and change into their serving uniform/costume, also eat their evening meal, then set out the condiments do final checks on the table utensils/plates/glassware and with main dining starting at 5:45.....

Maybe they only put out the plates and glassware? Maybe they check the glassware again when finally positioning it in place?

Is it any worse that silverware or plates being picked up by people in the buffet?

Not sure.

ex techie

I have no idea, but I would suspect that not all the servers are involved in the passenger muster, and some could be used either as monitors during the drill, or to reset after.

Really, the dinnerware should be inverted and the flatware wrapped in the napkin in cases like this.

I have no idea, but I would suspect that not all the servers are involved in the passenger muster, and some could be used either as monitors during the drill, or to reset after.

Really, the dinnerware should be inverted and the flatware wrapped in the napkin in cases like this.

It may well be under the table cloth.

ex techie

They could move the muster drill to a location other than a dining room.

Problem solved......

Not really. Deck 4 lifeboat loading deck, where all muster stations are, is an occupied deck already. The main theater is already used as another muster station.

The proximity of Animators Palate and easy access to the assigned lifeboats would also be a factor wouldn't it?

Moving the muster station to a different deck (restaurant below, no venue with capacity over 278 people above) and would require recertification as well wouldn't?

ex techie

We've only had our muster in a dining room once, in Sabatini's on the Solstice. All tabletops had been completely cleared. We have, however, had other gatherings in dining rooms (such as waiting areas for disembarkment groups and even passport/immigration checks) where at least tablecloths were in place on the table. It does seem like this would increase the risk of contamination if the tablecloths are not changed prior to the next meal service.