Help! Flight home from Port Canaveral

LAST UPDATE: So we took above advice and purchase 2nd flight to smaller airport 45 min away from us that leaves the day after cruise and we insured it, so if we dont need it we have a yr to use the tickets..Thanks everyone for advice. Will def update in Oct on if we make the flight home or not lol. Im calling this our 350 dollar lesson learned :(

And what's wrong with that. If people are going to travel they should understand these things and be prepared to do what they have to do. Sooner or later if you travel enough you will understand. Using a car service to get to a city because your flight is not running that day, who would have thought of that. You do what you have to do if it meets your needs, but you know that.

Yes, it involves money, if you are going to travel, then you have to be prepared and able to afford to take care of the hiccups travel throws at you

I agree with you, we always have a plan A, B and C. The OP is a first time cruiser and a first time flyer. Unfortunately, this has been a huge learning experience.

I hope that by some slim chance they can make this original flight and will book with a different airline in the future. I haven't flown with Allegiant, but my Mom has because it is cheap. My siblings and I have now taken to giving airline gift certificates as gifts so she will fly what we refer to is a "real airline".

I agree with you, we always have a plan A, B and C. The OP is a first time cruiser and a first time flyer. Unfortunately, this has been a huge learning experience.

I hope that by some slim chance they can make this original flight and will book with a different airline in the future. I haven't flown with Allegiant, but my Mom has because it is cheap. My siblings and I have now taken to giving airline gift certificates as gifts so she will fly what we refer to is a "real airline".

This airline flies out of a small airport near us. I checked them out about a year ago because of the prices and it just did not suit because they only did the flights we wanted a couple days a week, but the prices were great. Then I googled them and pretty much they were being hung out to dry

Have to say I have tried this and it can be done but it has done major risk. In Oct 2014 my wife took a new job after we booked the cruise. She had to be back early and the only flight out of Orlando was at 10Am on Delta. We researched and planned it and hired a private shuttle to pick us up at 7:45 after we walked off and get to MCO about 8:45. The Freedom was in general letting walk offs off by 7 so we knew we had a chance.

The problem was the Freedom had a azopod dying and it was slow as hell getting back and late. Walk off s did not start until 815.

And it 845 before we were off. Our private van was ready and drive like hell to airport but we arrived at 9:30. To late to clear security. Good news is we got put on standby for 11am flight and made it because there was a dozen no shows. I always felt those no shows were folks on same cruise put behind by late ship arrival

Ok with that said we took the Freedom again in Oct and my sister walked off by 7:15.

Because you are going to Sanford security should be quicker. I would suggest scrap the rental car. That takes to much time to pick up and return . Hire a private shuttle van . We used Coco Beach Shuttle and were very happy with service.

Edited by volk904

I am almost 100% positive that Allegiant closes the ticket and baggage check an hour before the flight. If you don't have your bags checked by then, they aren't getting on the plane. So while security at Sanford might be fairly quick, not being there at least 75 minutes before your flight could lead to big problems--unless you have only carry on bags.

If you are talking about what witchypoo said, I read it as she thinks you can buy insurance for the flights you already have. I am not sure you will be able to do that as I thought you have to buy insurance at the point you buy the flight. Any third party insurance you buy now will likely not cover a missed flight because you booked it too early. Make sure you read everything before you buy since insurances can be very specific with their list of covered reasons.

If you want to make this flight, you really need to give up on the idea that you can rent a car and book private transportation, whether it be a limo or a private shuttle. You should also carry off you luggage and make sure you are in contact with your transportation prior to leaving the ship. If you are staying in a suite, the concierge could help you get off the ship close to first. If you are not in a suite, you need to be in line as early as you can so you can hit the road quickly.

Edit to add:

Here is a link to the flight tool that tells you what the recommended time is for flights.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=2724

Hey it's "WitchyPoo"! Lol! I guess it's hard to spell a username correctly.

Anyway... I don't think I said you could buy insurance on a flight that had already been purchased. I by no means want to insinuate I know everything and have the best idea for everyone. My intent is to offer suggestions I myself have been given by my friends in the travel industry or experienced myself. Just thought I would clear that up. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be hesitant to try it but here is another option. You could purchase insurance from Allegiant for your return flight and have a hotel room and rental car booked as a backup plan in case you miss your flight. With the insurance, you have 365 days from the time you booked the flight to use your ticket. In theory, you could catch a flight the next day from Orlando Sanford or even drive to another airport that has a flight that will work better for you. When we left out of Port Canaveral, we hired Apollo's Chariots to shuttle us. That way we didn't have to worry about navigating the airport, cruise terminal, etc. Good luck and have fun!

Hey it's "WitchyPoo"! Lol! I guess it's hard to spell a username correctly.

Anyway... I don't think I said you could buy insurance on a flight that had already been purchased. I by no means want to insinuate I know everything and have the best idea for everyone. My intent is to offer suggestions I myself have been given by my friends in the travel industry or experienced myself. Just thought I would clear that up. [emoji6]

I have bolded the statement you made referring to the return flight. If you were referring to insuring a different flight, I didn't read it that way, thus my post. As far as flying the next day, since Allegiant doesn't fly to the OP home airport on Monday's, that really isn't an option. The OP has now booked an additional flight to a different airport and insured it. Hopefully, the insurance covers no shows if they make the original flight. I did not suggest insurance on a new flight as I do not know anything about Allegiant's insurance policies.

LAST UPDATE: So we took above advice and purchase 2nd flight to smaller airport 45 min away from us that leaves the day after cruise and we insured it, so if we dont need it we have a yr to use the tickets..Thanks everyone for advice. Will def update in Oct on if we make the flight home or not lol. Im calling this our 350 dollar lesson learned :(

Glad you made the changes. There is nothing worse than worrying the entire last day of your cruise about whether or not you will make the flight. It could remove all the pleasure of your cruise with the unnecessary worry. My husband and I tend to drive.... from Atlanta. We stay with a friend a day or two in Orlando on either side of the cruise, but this allows us to depart the ship at a later time. It is so much more pleasant than wondering if you can get off early and carry all your bags.... you will be much much happier with the change you made.

I have bolded the statement you made referring to the return flight. If you were referring to insuring a different flight, I didn't read it that way, thus my post. As far as flying the next day, since Allegiant doesn't fly to the OP home airport on Monday's, that really isn't an option. The OP has now booked an additional flight to a different airport and insured it. Hopefully, the insurance covers no shows if they make the original flight. I did not suggest insurance on a new flight as I do not know anything about Allegiant's insurance policies.

It doesnt cover no shows, but you can cancel up to an hour before flight, so if we can make original flight home we can cancel about 24 hrs in advance and insurance will cover. Im glad this option was brought up, we hadnt thought about insuring new flight until I saw it here. So either we have safe flight home (or 45 min. from home) on Monday or we make original flight home Sunday and have an excuse to come back to Florida within the next year ;)

It doesnt cover no shows, but you can cancel up to an hour before flight, so if we can make original flight home we can cancel about 24 hrs in advance and insurance will cover. Im glad this option was brought up, we hadnt thought about insuring new flight until I saw it here. So either we have safe flight home (or 45 min. from home) on Monday or we make original flight home Sunday and have an excuse to come back to Florida within the next year ;)

That sounds like a great plan. Hopefully, you make the early flight and can cancel the other flights, hotel, etc and make it home relaxed after a wonderful vacation.:)

We have booked flights home. Flight leaves Sanford airport at 9:55am. We have never been on a Royal cruise before, nor have we flown. We typically drive home. We have a rental car and are hoping if we are in port at 6am as they state we should be, and get off boat within the first hour, drive is 55min from port and airport states to arrive an hour early, in theory we should be fine. But I continue to see posts about people being nervous about making 11, noon, 1pm flights..Should I cancel this flight? Is this ridiculous to think we would make it there in time? Is there any way to talk with Royal and assure we get off boat quicker?

It is HIGHLY unlikely you will make that flight..I would rebook NOW, so you don't have that stress and worry with you the entire cruise...

It is HIGHLY unlikely you will make that flight..I would rebook NOW, so you don't have that stress and worry with you the entire cruise...

I have booked a 2nd flight and insured it just in case..the airline wanted to charge crazy prices to change the flight (75 dollars per person each way) so this was safer and half the price.

I'm glad you have a backup plan and can relax a little. I'm a big planner and am usually stressed too until I get everything situated. I didn't know about the insurance option until my friend who works for a travel agency told me about it. We have purchased the insurance on our upcoming return flight and I have reserved rental cars just in case as well. I like to have a plan b. [emoji4]