Noordam Alaska Room Question

CanuckinSMA

First time cruiser, first time user of this Board, first time question!!! I hope to glean tons of information from this site over the next year. We have booked our Alaskan cruise for next August to celebrate a BIG birthday! Two of us going - like to think of us as "spry seniors"!

My first question...we have booked room VA6089 on the Noordam. It's a Veranda suite but right next door to a Signature Suite. I'm hoping there's no Bad reason there's only 4 of the Verandah suites there..it looks like they could have made two Verandah suites out of one Signature Suite? It looks like it might still have a larger balcony than other Veranda Suites..am I missing something, like an obstruction etc. ?? Thanks so much!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

No obstructions, and a super location IMO, near but not right next to the central glass elevators. Your cabin and balcony will be 9 ft wide, and I believe 7 ft deep, which is 1 ft more than the "standard" side balcony and 2.5 ft more than the VAs just below you on deck 5. Were you just very lucky, or did someone with much HAL experience advise you to pick that cabin? :D

BTW the SS/SY/SZ cabins are 13.5 ft wide, and the SA/SB/SC are 18 ft.

Edited by jtl513

Good choice! Not many cruisers are aware of these cabins. Midship and not very high, they ride very well at a good price-point. The Deck 8 equivalents are good for "sunnier" cruises do to the extra cover of the Lido overhang. Hopefully you are on a Northbound cruise with views the whole trip.

We have VA6089 on the Zuiderdam next year for a Fjords and Highlands cruise. It should be handy for early AM cruising in the fjords.

Thank you! We are indeed going northbound. Our travel agent was very surprised these rooms were still available so I'm happy. I have never cruised and am somewhat afraid of being sick so wanted mid ship..a little higher than I thought I should be but I think that cabin will be great. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to cruise critic fellow ontarioan! The HAL board has lots of knowledgable people on it. And, your first Alaska cruise will likely not be your last. We have done three and I am ready to do another. Enjoy your planning and ask away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... somewhat afraid of being sick so wanted mid ship ...
You can get free Sea-Calm (Meclizine) at the front desk or infirmary to keep on hand in case the Captain warns of rough seas ahead, but I doubt you will need it in AK. Enjoy the Great Land!

Edited by jtl513

Thank you! We are indeed going northbound. Our travel agent was very surprised these rooms were still available so I'm happy. I have never cruised and am somewhat afraid of being sick so wanted mid ship..a little higher than I thought I should be but I think that cabin will be great. Thanks for the input.

Deck 6 is perfect in my opinion on a Vista-class and Signature-class in case of a rolling sea. It is not too high and has better views over the lifeboats/tenders. These particular VA cabins are just forward of the sea stabilizers' hinge point so the ship will have a tendency to "pivot" there, similar to flying on an airplane over the wing. My DW uses ginger by the way.

But - HAL will sometimes offer upsells to a higher category at reduced cost anywhere from four weeks to just before sailing. Depending on cabins offered you may care to take advantage of this. On our cruise in May to Alaska, I had a Signature Suite on Deck 6 (I practice what I preach :)) but was offered a Neptune Suite on Deck 7. I jumped at it due to the extra amenities!