Hurricane What If...

saltshell

One thing to be aware of is that if a hurricane is in the area, the airports are the first to be closed. Keep that in mind.;)

So true! Also, sometimes impossible driving conditions.

You certainly don't want to be trying to drive to a place that's being

evacuated. :eek:

We've cruised many times during hurricane season, we always leave home with a "we're gonna have fun" attitude. As long as they don't run out of tequila I'm good. We've had itineraries changed from Eastern Caribbean to Western Caribbean, Western changed to Eastern, ports cancelled, ports changed, port days changed, and a 7 day cruise turned into a 9 day thanks to Hurricane Francis closing the port of Tampa (we got an extra day in Cozumel and an extra day at sea). I am always amazed at the people on board who are irate and going to sue Carnival (or whatever cruise line) because we're not going where we thought we were going.

They will definitely go around it like they did on my last cruise, it was TS Isaac -in Late August, not a hurricane. Just make sure you have some motion sickness meds (that didn't help me though and I felt like I was on Starship 2000 at the fair, all night). Almost my entire ship was sick for about a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sheeniwoo

I just booked a cruise to the islands next Sept. I called and talked to Carnival about it because with the itinerary if one island is effected by a hurricane they all will be. They said it really on a case by case basis. Here are some graphs to make you August/September cruisers feel better:D.

peakofseason_sm.gif

september.gif

Oh wow! That would have been a huge disappointment for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as huge a disappointment as going to Bermuda in a Hurricane.

So many see changed itineraries due to weather as a negative for cruising. I see it as a positive. On a land based vacation, if a Hurricane hits your resort, you're SOL. If it hits before or while you're in transit, you're still on a nice comfy cruise ship instead of stuck on an airplane or an airport.

I do dislike that all cruise lines seem to opting more for days at sea Vs making the effort they used to in order to provide the same number of days in port.

Cruised with family members on the Carnival Dream in August 2012. The ship was scheduled to do a Western Caribbean trip which included Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Roatan, Honduras. Due to Hurricane Ernesto which was traveling on a western track towards Belize we only made it to Cozumel on the second day of our seven day cruise. We left Cozumel a few hours early because the seas got very rough and we cruised northbound to Progresso, Mexico. After Progresso we traveled eastbound and spent one day in Freeport, Bahamas and one day in Nassau, Bahamas. There was no way that the captain of the Carnival Deam would have allowed the ship to sail directly towards the hurricane. I thought that we would bypass the whole Western Carribbean route and traveled to the Eastern Caribbean. I also cruised one time on the Carnival Triumph when it was based out of Miami. The ship was doing a Western Carribbean trip that was affected by a tropical storm and a hurricane at the same time. We cruised behind the hurricane and the tropical storm was ahead of us. The schedule was changed but we made all of our scheduled ports of call. My family had a great time. I personally don't worry about hurricanes when it involves cruising with my family.

Booked for the Bahamas in Sept. What will Carnival do if there's a threat of hurricane?

Back in 2008 we were set to go on a Carnival cruise then Hurricane Ike hit. Carnival actually called me or sent me an email (I forget which) a couple days before the sail date to let us know that the cruise had been cancelled due to the Hurricane and refunded the full amount back to my checking account. We decided to go to New Orleans for a weekend getaway and ended up conceiving our beautiful daughter :D

Booked for the Bahamas in Sept. What will Carnival do if there's a threat of hurricane?

Oops, sorry not Hurricane Ike. I think it was Hurricane Paloma. Back in 2005 we came home with Hurricane Katrina. We arrived in Galveston the day before it hit New Orleans. Very choppy seas. The ship was swaying back and forth. For about a week after I kept feeling like my house was moving from side to side.

This makes me scared, we never thought about it while booking our cruise...

While June 1 - November 30 is considered hurricane season, they can happen any time conditions are right. First named storm happened in January this year, which is highly unusual, but underscores the fact that it's always possible. So don't overthink it, just be prepared for possible changes.

They will definitely go around it like they did on my last cruise, it was TS Isaac -in Late August, not a hurricane. Just make sure you have some motion sickness meds (that didn't help me though and I felt like I was on Starship 2000 at the fair, all night). Almost my entire ship was sick for about a day.

I was on the Imagination during Isaac. You described the experience well.

In out case, we left Nassau at like 6-7pm instead of Midnight to get ahead. Debarkation was at 7pm instead if in the morning due to POM closing. We got the much better end of the deal. I feel terrible for the people on the next sailing who basically lost their first day.

It's possible. Hurricanes Andrew & Katrina hit in August.

Indeed. Andrew hit Homestead south of Miami and Katrina demolished New Orleans. That's pretty far from where the Southern Itinerary cruises that the poster was questioning. If you look at the paths that these storms took, both were north and west of San Juan by hundreds of miles.

I'm not saying that the Southern Itinerary can't be hit with a storm in August, but it might have been better to give an example that impacted the islands in question rather than using Andrew and Katrina.

As a "general" rule, the further south you go, the less chances of a hurricane. Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao have fewer storms than Barbados and Grenada, which have fewer storms than St Maarten and St Lucia and St Thomas.

Wow, interesting thread, I am scheduled to sail on Monday August 22 JAX>Half Moon Cay>Nassua...is there anywhere I can check on the weather with accurate predictions.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Though "accurate predictions" are not guaranteed. They can look at all the information and make a best guess, but nothing would be guaranteed.

Here's the forecast for Nassau too

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Nassau+The+Bahamas+BFXX0005:1:BF

Wow, interesting thread, I am scheduled to sail on Monday August 22 JAX>Half Moon Cay>Nassua...is there anywhere I can check on the weather with accurate predictions.

Windguru is one of our favorites and we are sailors, don't worry, be happy. Their job is to make you happy and keep you safe.