Advice On Car Rentals In Cozumel

SmokyMtnMan6593

I have a question, regarding car rentals in Cozumel. Any helpful information from someone who has actually done this, will be appreciated.

Last time we were there (2013), we rented a car in order to drive to the east side of the island. This was done near the downtown port (the northernmost pier). For an extremely small car, we paid over $90.00. I felt this was very steep, but we did enjoy the experience.

Well, we are going to be in Cozumel again, on April 27th, 2017, on the Carnival Paradise. This time, we will be docking at Puerta Maya, which is the southernmost pier.

I have been looking at car rentals right there at Puerta Maya, and have found what seemed to be excellent deals...basically, a mid-sized car, for about half of what we paid last time, through a well-known and reputable name in the car rental industry.

I was just about ready to go ahead and reserve it, but then I read a "Beware" article, about renting cars in Cozumel, even through name-brand companies that we are familiar with here in the USA. It said that the price you are given online, will often not be honored when you actually arrive there, and that they will demand more money.

So now, I don't know what to do. Can anyone advise? Someone who has actually rented from Puerta Maya?

My husband and I are looking at renting a car for our December cruise with a locally owned agency that got high marks on Trip Advisor and elsewhere. It's called Rentadora and if you google it you can find the website. It's downtown by the Plaza, not at the pier but the prices are very good.

My husband and I are looking at renting a car for our December cruise with a locally owned agency that got high marks on Trip Advisor and elsewhere. It's called Rentadora and if you google it you can find the website. It's downtown by the Plaza, not at the pier but the prices are very good.

Have you rented from them in the past, or know anyone who has? The reviews on TripAdvisor are mostly positive, with one or two exceptions. I had been reading some other people say they rented a car from a company called ISIS...(had to do a double-take, when I read that one). I think this Rentadora might actually be the same company, as the web site is rentadoraisis.com.

I will keep them in mind. However, I also still want to hear from anyone who has rented from one of the places at the Puerta Maya pier. They are a bit higher, however, and I am not sure how far Rentadora is from where we will be docking.

I've rented from Isis before and they are very honest. I've never rented at the pier.

You might consider getting a taxi at the pier and having them drive you around. Driving on the island can be tricky and hiring a taxi for a few hours isn't much different than the price of a car rental.

After speaking with Marguerita at Rentadora I found out that her CDW (collision damage) has a $500 deductible. That means you would be liable for $500 in cash if involved in an accident. I asked about buying up to better insurance with zero deductible and it's not available through her. The chain car rentals like Avis, Dollar/Thrifty offer zero deductible but buy the time you buy it all it comes up to over $100 for the day. We have now decided to grab a taxi or hire a driver for about the same price to drive us around. My husband is an insurance agent and he just won't rent in a foreign company if there could be a deductible involved.

I booked a car for $7 + $18 insurance from Alamo for my cruise next month. Anyone have any experience booking through them online? The email confirmation says its $31.32. Will I pay more than that?

I went on the Alamo website and it does say that price. I don't think it is right so you need to come back here and let us know what happens.

Several years ago we rented with them or Hertz, don't remember which, for a week, had a car reserved at the airport. When we arrived, the clerk told us that they don't have that type of car and we had to pay more for another model. It was odd, we had a confirmation for a specific type of car, just to find out they don't carry it. It is a foreign country, we were hot and tired and wanted to get to our hotel... so we took what they had. When we were in the parking lot, we noticed they only had ONE type of car, all the same. Just an FYI...

Also.... be sure when you get the car, you walk around it and note every scratch and dent. These cars are always dinged up, and you will be stuck paying for the dent if it isn't on the original paperwork at pickup.

We used to go to Cozumel for week-long vacations all the time, rented a car for the week. This is just how it is there...

Also, gas is expensive and you pay someone to pump it for you at ALL stations. Be SURE they reset the pump before they start pumping yours. Stand outside the car and watch as they pump it... act like you are watching them. We have never had anyone scam us on gas, but have heard it happen to more than one person.

Most people in Cozumel are wonderful honest people... gas station and car rental employees seem to be shady to me. Just MY opinion.

I went on the Alamo website and it does say that price. I don't think it is right so you need to come back here and let us know what happens.

Several years ago we rented with them or Hertz, don't remember which, for a week, had a car reserved at the airport. When we arrived, the clerk told us that they don't have that type of car and we had to pay more for another model. It was odd, we had a confirmation for a specific type of car, just to find out they don't carry it. It is a foreign country, we were hot and tired and wanted to get to our hotel... so we took what they had. When we were in the parking lot, we noticed they only had ONE type of car, all the same. Just an FYI...

Also.... be sure when you get the car, you walk around it and note every scratch and dent. These cars are always dinged up, and you will be stuck paying for the dent if it isn't on the original paperwork at pickup.

We used to go to Cozumel for week-long vacations all the time, rented a car for the week. This is just how it is there...

Also, gas is expensive and you pay someone to pump it for you at ALL stations. Be SURE they reset the pump before they start pumping yours. Stand outside the car and watch as they pump it... act like you are watching them. We have never had anyone scam us on gas, but have heard it happen to more than one person.

Most people in Cozumel are wonderful honest people... gas station and car rental employees seem to be shady to me. Just MY opinion.

Thanks for the advice. If they ask for more money, I'll just catch a taxi around the island.

I booked a car for $7 + $18 insurance from Alamo for my cruise next month. Anyone have any experience booking through them online? The email confirmation says its $31.32. Will I pay more than that?

Please post here after your trip and let us know what happened. My trip isn't until December so I could change my husband's mind, maybe.

Yes, I would definitely appreciate it if you would come back to this thread, and give us your experience with Alamo.

One other question...Is Alamo at the Puerta Maya pier? Honestly, I am okay with paying a few dollars more, just for the convenience of being able to get off the ship, and into the car, as opposed to going somewhere that is several miles away. However, I do not want to go ahead and reserve a car through them, and then have a hassle when I get there. Seems to me that, if you had already reserved and paid for the rental online, they would have to put you into a car, even if it meant giving you a bigger one.

Also, many have suggested a taxi. We considered that, but as I said in my original post, we rented a car last time in Cozumel, and really enjoyed the experience. We liked being able to drive, stop and see something, get out and walk at El Mirador, stop at Paradise Beach for a couple of hours, etc.

And as far as accidents, it would be tough to get into an accident outside the city of San Miguel. Once you leave town, you hardly see another car the entire time. At least, that's how it was the day we rented. I don't think we saw 10 other cars on the highway, outside of town.

• 4 months later...
Alamo is at Puerta Maya. When you go to their website, the location box should pop up with carnival cruise terminal.

You don't have to pay for it to make the reservation.

But I will def let all you know how it goes next month..

@blainesterr could you post your experience with ALamo?

I just reserved a car at alamo puerta maya for $11 (compact) + car seat + the whole $40 insurance and i'm happy with the price (because I need car seats) ... how was your rental experience? How fast was it to pick up/ drop off the car when you got there? did they upcharge you?

thank you!

LMAO...Please do come back here and let us know how this turns out. I prefer the deductable with Rentadora Isis because I KNOW that she is honest and will only charge actual costs of repairs. I lost keys one time and she charged me $2 to replace them. She is also one of very few who will come to the police station and argue with them. Beware, there have been cases where people had insurance, or at least paid for it, but when they got hurt in an accident there was no insurance because the rental office pocketed the money.

We rent from ISIS on both Coz and in Playa as well as a few other reputable outfits in Playa and they are very good and very honest. Avant, America, and GoCarrito are a few others we trust. They include all insurance and taxes in their quote, no surprises when you arrive. We usually pay ~ $35 - 45/day with the insurance for a smaller car depending on the time of year. There is usually a hold ($8000 peso I believe) applied to your card that is removed when you return the vehicle.

Just be aware that some operators add the insurance and taxes in when you arrive.

We would also not recommend relying on your credit card for insurance. If you are involved in an accident and on the island for one day - or simply pulled over - you want to show insurance coverage through the rental agency.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 months later...
Alamo is at Puerta Maya. When you go to their website, the location box should pop up with carnival cruise terminal.

You don't have to pay for it to make the reservation.

But I will def let all you know how it goes next month..

Please tell us about your experience. We are leaving in just over 3 weeks, and really want to know what to expect.

@blainesterr could you post your experience with ALamo?

I just reserved a car at alamo puerta maya for $11 (compact) + car seat + the whole $40 insurance and i'm happy with the price (because I need car seats) ... how was your rental experience? How fast was it to pick up/ drop off the car when you got there? did they upcharge you?

thank you!

Will reiterate, many of the agencies - including those with names you recognize - definitely do add the insurance, taxes, and fees to your bill when you pay so the price will probably be substantially higher that what you were quoted. That is a regular practice for Alamo and other outfits at the Cancun airport. The price sounds amazing until you get there to pick up the car.

ISIS is an outfit that is highly-regarded by regular visitors, we use them on Coz and in Playa and they are excellent. The price they quote will be the final price, $35 for a manual compact with no AC to $50 for a nicer vehicle with auto and AC. And that price includes all insurance, taxes, and fees. ;)