TS/Hurricane Earl

crewsweeper

Reports coming out of Belize are saying there's a lot of water/flood damage in Belize City. Evidently they were on the "dirty side" of the storm and got a ton of rain. One storm tracker said it's the worst he's ever seen in Belize, which hasn't been hit since 2012. Ambergris Caye's weather station supposedly got blow out of commission.

No ships there until Tuesday and Wednesday so it'll be interesting to hear what those folks have to report.

Not sure what happened further south at Harvest Caye, but I would assume wind and rain as well.

Here's the latest, I think.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/

Lots of flooding and some blackouts. I emailed 3 excursion providers (Nacho, Reggie of Reggie Tours and David from cavetubingrus) Have yet to hear back from any, but internet could be down or power still out. If any of them come back, I 'll report.

Thank you for that info. I am betting we will miss that port next week, sadly. I have been through 80mph storms and it is very scary. It literally tore our roofing off in Galveston so I am sure it was terrible in Belize. Thanks again for the update.

Hello everyone. I live on in San Pedro Belize, work for a local airline. The storm has now passed and the clean up begins.

The island was with out power and water, tv and internet for 24 hrs. All is back on.

San pedro and Caye caulker lost most of their docks and Bars on the docks.

I have not heard of any losss of life on the islands.

Air travel and boat travel was stopped until Thursday late afternoon. No way in or off the island. Now back to normal.

Waiting for more reports from the main land.

some info here....http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/516605/re-hurricane-earl.html#Post516605

Thank you Wade! I am glad everyone is safe. I spoke with Carnival a few minutes ago and she said "they got an email from Belize and we will be stopping there next week and tendering in." We shall see! Stay safe!

So guess since they are saying tender means Coxen Hole rather than where Carnival docks in Mahogany Bay. ????:confused:

So guess since they are saying tender means Coxen Hole rather than where Carnival docks in Mahogany Bay. ????:confused:

You have your ports confused. CH and MB are on Roatan. We always tender in Belize.

Here is some good info...http://i1.wp.com/www.sanpedroscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/lazy-lizard.jpg?resize=625%2C469

http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2016/08/hurricane-earl-belize-nightmare-ambergris-caye-caulker.html

The Split Lazy Lizzard, Caye Caulker

lazy-lizard.jpg?resize=625%2C469

OMG!:eek:

Heard from one vendor and they say very body is up and rebuilding. Hope those in Belize the next couple of weeks are able to enjoy.

I hope Belize cruise excursions are up and running soon.... but that is because I love the people and want them to be able to make a living. Most of them depend on the cruise ship passengers to make their living and if the roads are out, or cruises don't make port, then they have no income. Belize doesn't usually get hit straight on by a storm, this one nailed it. So sad.

My hat is off to these people. When something bad happens they band together and go to work to fix it. The same happened to Cozumel and Costa Maya several years ago. A category 5 sat on Cozumel for three days. Completely demolished the piers. We were there a year later and they had two of the piers rebuilt and were working on the third. Prayers and praise goes out for them today.

Does anyone have any new updates on Caye Caulker?

Reading that they have been cleaning up with LOTS of assistance from tourists and locals alike. The Lazy Lizard at the split took a beating but repairs have already started and they state on their FB page that THEY ARE OPEN.

We just got back. We were in Belize on Wednesday 8/10. Belize City didn't look like it was hit as hard as I thought it would be and we were able to do our Carnival Cave Tubing excursion as planned. Based on the gathering of folks for the early tenders it looked like most of the excursions were still on. I know that the son of someone in our group was doing the shark/ray excursion.

Was at Belize on 8/10 and had Goff's Cay booked but it was a no go as the Cay was destroyed per the tour operator. Don't think there were any snorkeling tours to be had with the exception of the shark/Ray tours. We ended up doing a city tour with a visit to the howler monkeys.

We have a tour scheduled for here on Sept 21st thru Island Marketing. Sent an email questioning if the tour would still be in operation. The reply I got was that the damage was to the boat dock and the central hut which are being repaired. That's about all there seems to be there in the first place! The tour is to be in operation by next week she said. If anyone is going there in these next few weeks please update. Wondering how little sand there will now be and what the current snorkeling is like