Secret Sands Excursion - St Thomas

RCLFan

I know there is a Board specific to Ports of Call, but I'm afraid may question may get little attention over there. Also, I figure someone has sailed either Oasis or Allure and can address this Post.

We will be sailing Oasis on Oct 1st, and stopping in St. Thomas; my wife wants to shop 1st, and I'd like to also include some Beach time.

If we book the "Secret Sands" Excursion, departing at 10:45 a.m, what time can we expect to be back in Charlotte Amalie to allow time for Shopping?

Our itinerary indicates we are in St. Thomas from 10 - 7.

Or, are we better off Shopping 1st, and securing a Taxi to Smith Bay Park on our own and just returning to the Ship via Taxi? Can we secure a Taxi for our Return?

I know a lot of questions, I just hope someone has either done this excursion or has had similar experience.

Thanks in Advance for the help! :)

RCLFan, when you booked your excursion,there was an info regarding length of the excursion. Beach excursions usually take between 2-4 hrs,with maybe some exceptions. I,personally,would go on the beach excursion first,and shopping after. All shopping is close to the port,and you can stay there almost till the boarding time; Smith Bay Park is on the very East side of St.Thomas, and later afternoon there is a huge traffic on the roads. I would not risk returning from the beach closer to the time of boarding the ship.

I hope it helps a bit; check the length of your excursion first and decide accordingly!

We have done the Secret Sands excursion twice.

Each time, there were two excursions. A morning and afternoon time.

We took the morning each time.

The bus bringing the afternoon group picked up the morning group.

So, you should have plenty of time to shop if you are on the early excursion (assuming they are doing it the same way)

We didn't see any taxis when we were there. Part of what makes the excursion special is that there is a limit to the number of people. One time we did see one small group of locals picnicking in the park, but, they were located away from where we were.