Add person...how late??

As long as there is room at muster, I believe you can add up to 48 hours prior. I added my husband three days before sailing once when he could go at the last minute.

Thanks so much! Tough to plan summer vacation w all star baseball lol!

I tried to add my granddaughter about 3 weeks before and they told me I couldn't because the sailing was closed even though I had room in my cabin. I think once they get a certain amount of passengers the coast guard shuts the cruise down.

Edited by mark22mac

You might consider adding now vs waiting. You can always remove. Depending how quickly the cruise is booking, you may not be able to add the person if you wait.

Good idea. Another reason to add now is to fix the price.

You might consider adding now vs waiting. You can always remove. Depending how quickly the cruise is booking, you may not be able to add the person if you wait.

Totally agree with this, call now to see If there's room and add him on. It's easier remove them then add the closer you get

We had to remove a person and was told that the entire reservation had to be cancelled and rebooked to do that, but I think that might have been because they said that the cabin's that could sleep 3+ weren't allowed to be booked by only 2 people. Thankfully the price hadn't changed much (We had a cabin of 3 and a cabin of 2, and the new price dropping our cabin from 3 to 2 was only $20 more than our other cabin of 2) but we lost the connecting staterooms we wanted. Spoke with 4 agents, all said the same thing; can't have only two people in a 3 person cabin.

Not sure if there are different cabins that aren't flagged as 3 person minimum or if it differs depending on the ship.

We had to remove a person and was told that the entire reservation had to be cancelled and rebooked to do that, but I think that might have been because they said that the cabin's that could sleep 3+ weren't allowed to be booked by only 2 people. Thankfully the price hadn't changed much (We had a cabin of 3 and a cabin of 2, and the new price dropping our cabin from 3 to 2 was only $20 more than our other cabin of 2) but we lost the connecting staterooms we wanted. Spoke with 4 agents, all said the same thing; can't have only two people in a 3 person cabin.

Not sure if there are different cabins that aren't flagged as 3 person minimum or if it differs depending on the ship.

In that scenario I would have kept everything the same and just not had the 3rd person show up.

In that scenario I would have kept everything the same and just not had the 3rd person show up.

We considered that, but it would have meant an extra $700 even after the port fees were refunded, and decided that connecting staterooms weren't worth it. We moved both cabins so they were still the same category and adjacent, just not connecting.

We considered that, but it would have meant an extra $700 even after the port fees were refunded, and decided that connecting staterooms weren't worth it. We moved both cabins so they were still the same category and adjacent, just not connecting.

Got ya. I misunderstood what you typed then. I thought it cost you $20 more for 2 people than what 3 was going to run.

Thats a thought, if you add now and they would want to reprice to remove, then leave it as it is and as lordlkon said have the 3rd person as a no show. Myself I have not run into that situation, although I wondered a couple years ago after our daughter moved into her SIL's cabin from ours, what would have happened if the SIL suddendly couldn't make the cruise. It could have been to late to move the daughter back with us and we were paying for our daughters cruise. She might have had to move into an inside which would have cost us much more.

Good idea. Another reason to add now is to fix the price.

Totally agree with this, call now to see If there's room and add him on. It's easier remove them then add the closer you get

I thought about adding now, but the problem is final payment is well before knowing if he would be able to go... this would have be a decision made a few days to a week before.

If I add him and he can't go, won't I lose the amount for him that late in the game? (pun intended)

I thought about adding now, but the problem is final payment is well before knowing if he would be able to go... this would have be a decision made a few days to a week before.

If I add him and he can't go, won't I lose the amount for him that late in the game? (pun intended)

Cancellation penalties are different for 3'rd and 4'th guests. 3'rd and 4'th guests can cancel without any penalty up until the cruise enters the final penalty phase which on a 7 day cruise is 14 days prior to sailing.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I guess it's a matter of figuring out what's the most important thing - him going or not going. If you cancel him you'll get port charges/taxes back and depending on how late you cancel you get a percentage of the fare back.

I'm kind of assuming that if he's not going it'll be becasue of a tournament so you won't need to worry about someone to watch him. But what happens if he can go and you can't get him on, do you need to find someone for him to be with? I'm kind of assuming he's a bit younger and needs someone to be home with him, but if you don't need to worry about him if he can't go, then it's no harm no foul.

Cancellation penalties are different for 3'rd and 4'th guests. 3'rd and 4'th guests can cancel without any penalty up until the cruise enters the final penalty phase which on a 7 day cruise is 14 days prior to sailing.

Thanks for posting the dates, I was just going to look them up

Edited by hansolosmom

I guess it's a matter of figuring out what's the most important thing - him going or not going. If you cancel him you'll get port charges/taxes back and depending on how late you cancel you get a percentage of the fare back.

I'm kind of assuming that if he's not going it'll be becasue of a tournament so you won't need to worry about someone to watch him. But what happens if he can go and you can't get him on, do you need to find someone for him to be with? I'm kind of assuming he's a bit younger and needs someone to be home with him, but if you don't need to worry about him if he can't go, then it's no harm no foul.

Ah you know allstar baseball too! :) It is my nephew so I am not the primary caregiver.

After talking it over with others going.. I think we decided to bite the bullet and just book a second cruise next summer... yea it was a painful decision to go on a cruise in July and then again in August. :D

(and for those that are wondering... can't just go in August b/c my niece has high school soccer so her cruise is in July!)