Any ideas for Suva and Lautoka?

We will be in Suva and Lautoka in November. The friends we are travelling with don't want to do any activities that involve going to islands or sailing around. Does anyone have contacts or ideas for local tours or similar? :confused::confused:

When in Lautoka we did the Garden of the Sleeping Giant, a lovely orchid garden, really enjoyed it. On the dock there were lots of tour operators, including reputable ones, offering a great range of tours. We just walked around Suva, wouldn't recommend that as it is not a interesting place, did not take a tour there so can't make any recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For your day in Suva I recommend a visit to the Pacific Harbour Arts Village. It is rather like a theme park but without modern glitz. They put on a great show with dancing, singing and firewalking. Usually the ships offer a tour but they are only there for the show and do not tour through the village. That is really worth doing. We have been a few times over the years and can really recommend it as a way to learn about the Fijian culture in an entertaining way. Take your camera because you can get some great photos. It is 45 minutes drive out of Suva. There are plenty of taxis available on the wharf. Negotiate your price. We have found that taxis cost around AUD$25 per hour, so if you allow some extra money for the taxi to return to Suva, you should not pay more than $35-$40 for a one way trip. The driver might even do it for less because he could stay around the resort area of Pacific Harbour and get other jobs. When you are nearly ready to leave the village, go to their office and ask them to phone for a taxi. They have take-away places where you can get food, but I do not recommend the traditional meal that the village offers. :)

One tent was run by the official tourism organization, so we went through them. Very professional. But you can tell pretty well by looking at their set up, staff and condition of their buses. Some people took local taxis with many of them looking quite dodgy, so if you go that way look at the condition of their vehicle as a start. The people on the whole are really friendly, especially the local Fijians.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Research them and read the reviews, especially the reviews that are not on their own website, try Trip Advisor as a start.:D

The problem I see is that you would not know the name of the tour operator until you arrived on the dock. :) In Suva there are usually a few set up with their tents. Some of them are there each time we go to Suva so they are probably reputable. :)

The problem I see is that you would not know the name of the tour operator until you arrived on the dock. :) In Suva there are usually a few set up with their tents. Some of them are there each time we go to Suva so they are probably reputable. :)

Trip advisor will have a list of registered companies with reviews. If they are not listed there then who knows how good they may be but Google will provide some answers as well.

We went to The Pearl resort in Suva, 45 min drive out of town about $60 for the 3 of us from one of the tour operators on the dock.

Great place to relax, have a swim in the pool or beach and grab a bite to eat as well.

We visited the Pacific Harbour Arts Village on a ship tour recently. I'd give it 3 stars.

There is a lot more to the Arts Village than people on the ship's tour see. I think they see the song/dance show and firewalking and have some free time to walk around the main part of the village. When we have been, we have also gone on the tour of the village on a traditional boat propelled by a "warrior". The boat stops several times and passengers are told about an aspect of traditional life and see a demo. The tour ends at the temple where there is a kava ceremony. We were part of an extended family group and the general feeling was that the boat-trip part of our visit was probably more interesting than the show - and that was good. :)

There is a lot more to the Arts Village than people on the ship's tour see. I think they see the song/dance show and firewalking and have some free time to walk around the main part of the village. When we have been, we have also gone on the tour of the village on a traditional boat propelled by a "warrior". The boat stops several times and passengers are told about an aspect of traditional life and see a demo. The tour ends at the temple where there is a kava ceremony. We were part of an extended family group and the general feeling was that the boat-trip part of our visit was probably more interesting than the show - and that was good. :)

That does sound more interesting. Did you get the numb tongue?

That does sound more interesting. Did you get the numb tongue?

On that occasion I passed.:D Once was enough for kava. We visited Dravuni island on an overnight stay on the Fairstar in the late 1980s. Kava bowls were passed around very freely. I had my bowl, but then someone in my family said they didn't manage to get the photo, so would I have another bowl? The second bowl resulted in numb tongue, mouth etc. etc. Our young teenage sons really had fun. :) Now I look at the kava ceremony and wonder how many germs are on that bowl.

On that occasion I passed.:D Once was enough for kava. We visited Dravuni island on an overnight stay on the Fairstar in the late 1980s. Kava bowls were passed around very freely. I had my bowl, but then someone in my family said they didn't manage to get the photo, so would I have another bowl? The second bowl resulted in numb tongue, mouth etc. etc. Our young teenage sons really had fun. :) Now I look at the kava ceremony and wonder how many germs are on that bowl.

Yeah, I know what you mean, :eek:

Hi everyone,

I've think I've got some useful info for you all but gotta get to work right now. I'll try and report this arvo or tomorrow, in the meantime, go onto Facebook and look up "Discover My Fiji" DON'T leave out the "My" .

This is a family run operation that we used in Suva in March, Lovely people you can trust.

Hi everyone,

I've think I've got some useful info for you all but gotta get to work right now. I'll try and report this arvo or tomorrow, in the meantime, go onto Facebook and look up "Discover My Fiji" DON'T leave out the "My" .

This is a family run operation that we used in Suva in March, Lovely people you can trust.

Thanks for that. can you let me know what you did, how long and how much you paid? :)

Thanks for that. can you let me know what you did, how long and how much you paid? :)

Ok, first of all I'm 50ish and wife mid 40s and daughter 11, so certain things we enjoy may not be fun for honeymooners or retirees.

I contacted Discover my Fiji via facebook and booked our tour b4 setting sail...no money changed hands at all.

We chose a tour from Suva out to Colo-I-Suva forest park, it was called the 'Rainforest Tour'.

They wait for you on the dock and hold signs identifying themselves ( they all do that so remember who you booked with).

Only then is when you pay, for 2 & half of us we paid $85 AUS (they ask for aussie $)

We were put in air conditioned vans (nowhere near new but nothing wrong with them) and driven to the rainforest with commentary on the way. At the rainforest one of the ladies (they are all family) lead the way. Afterwards back to Suva where they recommended some shops.

This doesn't sound very exciting but in reality it was a really enjoyable half day tour, much much cheaper than what the boat would charge.

I can tell you more but it's probably more useful for you to ask anything that you'd like to know about.

Ok, first of all I'm 50ish and wife mid 40s and daughter 11, so certain things we enjoy may not be fun for honeymooners or retirees.

I contacted Discover my Fiji via facebook and booked our tour b4 setting sail...no money changed hands at all.

We chose a tour from Suva out to Colo-I-Suva forest park, it was called the 'Rainforest Tour'.

They wait for you on the dock and hold signs identifying themselves ( they all do that so remember who you booked with).

Only then is when you pay, for 2 & half of us we paid $85 AUS (they ask for aussie $)

We were put in air conditioned vans (nowhere near new but nothing wrong with them) and driven to the rainforest with commentary on the way. At the rainforest one of the ladies (they are all family) lead the way. Afterwards back to Suva where they recommended some shops.

This doesn't sound very exciting but in reality it was a really enjoyable half day tour, much much cheaper than what the boat would charge.

I can tell you more but it's probably more useful for you to ask anything that you'd like to know about.

Terrificly helpful. Thank you. :)

Was the walking very arduous for a person in their 50s with somewhat suspect knees and was it mainly a look and learn activity? How long was the shopping stop and did they drop you back at the ship?

Have you done any other Fiji tours?

the walk down involved lots of steps and narrowish paths however rarely steep. We were there in March and I was sweating like a pig but the pace was easy. Once you reach the bottom where there is a large natural pool, the climb back up to the car park is a long climb, however, you will be able to catch your breath whenever you want....nothing is hurried in Fiji. I'm no doctor, but I think most people without a walking stick can manage it quite easily. After the tour back in Suva, they offered to drive us all back to the ship after shopping, but, the ship is right there, 150m away! ( you can't miss it) and we said we'll make our own way back, so really you can shop for hours.

WE did another tour out of Pt Denarau but I have to tell you about that tomorrow as we have to go out now.

Don't be shy to ask questions, that's how I've learn,t heaps.

the walk down involved lots of steps and narrowish paths however rarely steep. We were there in March and I was sweating like a pig but the pace was easy. Once you reach the bottom where there is a large natural pool, the climb back up to the car park is a long climb, however, you will be able to catch your breath whenever you want....nothing is hurried in Fiji. I'm no doctor, but I think most people without a walking stick can manage it quite easily. After the tour back in Suva, they offered to drive us all back to the ship after shopping, but, the ship is right there, 150m away! ( you can't miss it) and we said we'll make our own way back, so really you can shop for hours.

WE did another tour out of Pt Denarau but I have to tell you about that tomorrow as we have to go out now.

Don't be shy to ask questions, that's how I've learn,t heaps.

Thank you for the information. Sounds like we could manage this one if it's not rushed.

Looking forward to the next installment :)