Will HAL follow Celebrity and install separate suite class dining rooms on its ships

wwinfl91

One of the things I really like about HAL is that once you leave your cabin it doesn't matter anymore. Inside, Ocean-View, and Suits all get the same opportunity for food, service, and public space.

I agree with these sentiments completely and absolutely. Thanks for expressing them. This was one of the main reasons I selected HAL over Cunard originally.

Scott & Karen

I so also agree! Who cares what real estate block you have, we are all on the same ship. And if you need to separate yourself from everyone else, (why???), then more power to you. Hope you all are happy in amongst yourselves, in you little havens. Me I find I meet a lot of interesting, entertaining people in the general population. I wouldn't give it up. And by the way, I sail in verandas and suites only. And have no use whatsoever for the caste system.

I so also agree! Who cares what real estate block you have, we are all on the same ship. And if you need to separate yourself from everyone else, (why???), then more power to you. Hope you all are happy in amongst yourselves, in you little havens. Me I find I meet a lot of interesting, entertaining people in the general population. I wouldn't give it up. And by the way, I sail in verandas and suites only. And have no use whatsoever for the caste system.

It isn't about being separate from other passengers and it isn't an effort to make you feel inferior. It's about offering a different meal for people who paid more. This is most easily done if there's a separate dining room.

I suppose HAL could just hand out a different menu to passengers in Neptune/Pinnacle suites. Perhaps waiters could ask to see key cards before taking orders. How would you feel when the waiter says, "I'm sorry, Madam, you can't order that because you aren't in a suite."

Or all the suites could give up some real estate for a suite one restaurant on the suite-only floor.

How on earth (or perhaps I should say on the ocean) would this be accomplished on existing ships? Move all the walls down a few feet until there's space for a dining room??????????????????

It isn't about being separate from other passengers and it isn't an effort to make you feel inferior. It's about offering a different meal for people who paid more. This is most easily done if there's a separate dining room.

I suppose HAL could just hand out a different menu to passengers in Neptune/Pinnacle suites. Perhaps waiters could ask to see key cards before taking orders. How would you feel when the waiter says, "I'm sorry, Madam, you can't order that because you aren't in a suite."

Then cut the Pinnacle in half since they are eating breakfast and lunch in there anyway, there isn't that many of you, you should all fit. And as far as what menu I eat from??? Who cares, you want to be snobs then be snobs. And frankly I do not sail on Hal for real estate or what I eat, I sail for the itineraries and the ports of call. I do not spend enough time in my cabin to really warrant the money for much more than a veranda or SS. I guess if I was old and just wanted to sit in my "suite" then maybe.

How on earth (or perhaps I should say on the ocean) would this be accomplished on existing ships? Move all the walls down a few feet until there's space for a dining room??????????????????

Just knock out a couple walls on adjoining suites. That's all:)

The cabins are all pre-fab drop-in anyway, at the next dry dock, pop out the old suites and pop in smaller ones. A couple of feet from each suite should do it.

The suite passengers still have the same amount of exclusive-for-suite-passengers square footage and none of the steerage passengers have to give up their all-ready too tiny (in the eyes of some suite passengers) space.

Or they could take out a few of the aft-suites and turn that into a restaurant space.

Edited by ellieanne

I decide how to spend my hard-earned money. I don't live in a mansion, I drive a cheap car, I eat out maybe four times a year. But when I travel, I want a great experience and I am willing to pay for that. I am not sure why people who don't want to pay for a particular experience have to insult me and my choices.

A suites-only dining room is not a personal attack on people who choose not to book suites. But it is a way for cruiselines to provide a different, presumably better, experience for those willing to pay.

I decide how to spend my hard-earned money. I don't live in a mansion, I drive a cheap car, I eat out maybe four times a year. But when I travel, I want a great experience and I am willing to pay for that. I am not sure why people who don't want to pay for a particular experience have to insult me and my choices.

A suites-only dining room is not a personal attack on people who choose not to book suites. But it is a way for cruiselines to provide a different, presumably better, experience for those willing to pay.

It is if it takes space from areas where non-suite passengers have been allowed. It is if it takes away the chance to get the table non-suite passengers want/request in the Dining Room or Lido. It is if it takes the "best" or "better" locations that have been open and available to non-suite passenger away from them.

I don't care if there is a suites only restaurant so long as that restaurant is taken from space already dedicated to suite passengers. But it is completely unfair, and an attack, on the non-suite passengers of the restaurant is carved to of the existing, open to everyone, Dining Room or Lido.

The same way that closing major streets in towns for the exclusive use of people who live in the area is an attack on everyone who doesn't live there but uses the streets.

Edited by ellieanne

Or all the suites could give up some real estate for a suite one restaurant on the suite-only floor.

Really? You expect people to pay top dollar for smaller space? I would predict that many who are willing to pay would not be happy with smaller real estate. It is one of the reasons most people book them, I think.

Then cut the Pinnacle in half since they are eating breakfast and lunch in there anyway, there isn't that many of you, you should all fit. And as far as what menu I eat from??? Who cares, you want to be snobs then be snobs. And frankly I do not sail on Hal for real estate or what I eat, I sail for the itineraries and the ports of call. I do not spend enough time in my cabin to really warrant the money for much more than a veranda or SS. I guess if I was old and just wanted to sit in my "suite" then maybe.

Sorry, you are dead wrong here. The suites do NOT get the Pinnacle for lunch - only for breakfast. And there is NOT enough room in the Pinnacle Grill for all the suites, plus you are now depriving everyone on board no matter what cabin they are in of opportunities to eat in the Pinnacle Grill for dinner and lunch.

It has nothing to do with snobbery at all and that generalisation of people being "old" or "snobs" is offensive IMO. Just because you don't spend time in your cabin or on your balcony, don't assume that because others do things differently they are wrong, snobs or old.

Why on earth would we resent folks who pay more for duties and/or enhanced dining venues etc. We all make decisions about how and what to spend our money on.

Go into any large hotel and see the different levelsof dining..from bar food through to coffee shops and a fine dining room. Same with rooms..standard to suites.

How silly will this get? Should only one type of wine be on offer or should the offerings range from the inexpensive through to the moderate and very expensive? We certainly have no issue with when someone springs for the high end/high price bottle nor are we the least bit resentful.

We are happy in a verandah cabin however we certainly don't begrudge those in suites or those who may have alternate dining privileges. They made the buy decision and paid for it. The option is available to anyone who sees the value and is willing to pay. Not elite, just another option choice. Like buying a car or some new togs.

Choice and having options serves to enhance our travel experiences not detract from them.

Edited by iancal

Why on earth would we resent folks who pay more for duties and/or enhanced dining venues etc. We all make decisions about how and what to spend our money on.

Go into any large hotel and see the different levelsof dining..from bar food through to coffee shops and a fine dining room. Same with rooms..standard to suites.

How silly will this get? Should only one type of wine be on offer or should the offerings range from the inexpensive through to the moderate and very expensive? We certainly have no issue with when someone springs for the high end/high price bottle nor are we the least bit resentful.

We are happy in a verandah cabin however we certainly don't begrudge those in suites or those who may have alternate dining privileges. They made the buy decision and paid for it. The option is available to anyone who sees the value and is willing to pay. Not elite, just another option choice. Like buying a car or some new togs.

Choice and having options serves to enhance our travel experiences not detract from them.

One would think so, but some seem to be distracted from the travel experience by the thought that others improve their experience by paying more.

Coming soon, HAL's newest ship! All OV cabins, identical in every way. All at the same price. No suites, no balconies, but there will be multiple promenade decks with deck chairs, none of which is reserved, so there will be plenty of fresh air available to all. Meals will be in the main dining room or the buffet, and both locations will serve the same menu. Neither dining area will have windows so that no table is "better" than any other. There will be no Pinnacle, Canaletto, or Tamarind. The areas that night have been taken up by these elitist venues will now be added to adjacent public areas, which will have plenty of seats for those who wish to relax. No specialty coffees, but coffee and tea will be available in the buffet 24/7, no extra charge.

A contest is currently underway to name this new ship. Current vote-getters are Egalitarianisdam, Nosnobisdam, and Communisdam.

It is if it takes space from areas where non-suite passengers have been allowed. It is if it takes away the chance to get the table non-suite passengers want/request in the Dining Room or Lido. It is if it takes the "best" or "better" locations that have been open and available to non-suite passenger away from them.

I don't care if there is a suites only restaurant so long as that restaurant is taken from space already dedicated to suite passengers. But it is completely unfair, and an attack, on the non-suite passengers of the restaurant is carved to of the existing, open to everyone, Dining Room or Lido.

The same way that closing major streets in towns for the exclusive use of people who live in the area is an attack on everyone who doesn't live there but uses the streets.

Real estate on a cruise ship is like all real estate elsewhere. Holland owns that real estate, passengers only rent it. Passengers who want the "best" or "better" locations, pay more. Passengers who want a bigger apartment, pay more. Passengers who want a better experience should have the opportunity to pay more for that experience.

If Holland does implement suites dining, and, I think they will, to enhance their competitiveness and increase revenue, then the only option for those who prefer a "classless experience" will be Carnival. The major competitors (Royal, Princess, Celebrity) have already done so.

Instead of arguing about the principles of this issue, let's look at some real numbers and see how they compare.

HAL has the Eurodam leaving Dec 3rd for a 7-day Western Caribbean run. Mid-ship Neptune Suite is currently priced at $3,118 (all prices are CAD).

X has the Reflection leaving Dec 3rd for a 7-day Western Caribbean also. It's Celebrity Suite at 394 sq.ft is currently priced at $9,078. For the square footage of a comparable Neptune Suite, you would have to select the Royal Suite at 590 sq.ft. The Royal Suite offers more amenities than a Neptune on HAL, but it is currently priced at $12,178.

I do not believe that most of those sailing in HAL's Neptune Suites would be more than willing to pay 3 or 4 times their current ticket price in order to dine in their own private restaurant. And, I am willing to bet that HAL recognized it also - otherwise, it would have happened.

I don't begrudge people who are willing to pay more in order to eat better. But that's not what many here are talking about - they don't want to pay more than they're paying now, but that want a "much better" dining experience!

I wouldn't at all mind if HAL instituted a more upscale DR, with an add-on cost for those wishing to use it rather than the MDR.

It is difficult to compare prices between cruise lines and specific cruises because they are based on so called list fares and very much on their respective vacancy rates.

More than once we have paid half of what a another similar cruise line was offering for the same cabin type/identical itinerary and date. Did not mean that one was better or had more benefits included.

It was more a case of one of the ship's having too many unsold cabins and the logarithms dictated that priced be lowered in order to realize and maximize revenue. It comes down to bums in seats..no different than airlines or hotels.

Edited by iancal

Instead of arguing about the principles of this issue, let's look at some real numbers and see how they compare.

HAL has the Eurodam leaving Dec 3rd for a 7-day Western Caribbean run. Mid-ship Neptune Suite is currently priced at $3,118 (all prices are CAD).

X has the Reflection leaving Dec 3rd for a 7-day Western Caribbean also. It's Celebrity Suite at 394 sq.ft is currently priced at $9,078. For the square footage of a comparable Neptune Suite, you would have to select the Royal Suite at 590 sq.ft. The Royal Suite offers more amenities than a Neptune on HAL, but it is currently priced at $12,178.

I do not believe that most of those sailing in HAL's Neptune Suites would be more than willing to pay 3 or 4 times their current ticket price in order to dine in their own private restaurant. And, I am willing to bet that HAL recognized it also - otherwise, it would have happened.

You could be right about what people are willing to pay. I don't have numbers to quote, but I do know that the corner aft NS on a HAL Vista would be a Queens Grill suite on a Cunard Vista--for a lot more than the cost of the HAL NS. That's why I book the Suite on HAL but not on Cunard.

Not a reasonable comparison. For example, A Royal Suite on Celebrity includes: (I've deleted those items that are fairly common to X and HAL).

*Personal butler service 24/7 for assistance with unpacking, in-suite lunch and dinner, espresso and cappuccino

*Dedicated private restaurant, Luminae, reserved exclusively for all Suite Class guests

*Unlimited dining in all specialty restaurants including lunch, dinner, and one Champagne High Tea

*Complimentary Premium Beverage Package for all guests in suite. Minors will automatically receive a Premium-Non-Alcoholic Beverage Package

*Complimentary unlimited Internet access

*Stateroom setup of one bottle of vodka and one bottle of scotch or gin with mixers, a choice of spirits and wine)

*Reserved theatre seating on Evening Chic nights

*Private veranda with whirlpool and lounge seating

*Complimentary laundry service twice per cruise

*Daily Delectables rotation of savory and sweet snacks

* Champagne High Tea available on select ships and itineraries.

Probably a better comparison would be to add half the cost of a Pinnacle Grill dinner each night of the cruise, say ~$20 PP. For a seven day cruise, add $150 PP.

I say half the cost since the room could be used for other functions except during dinner. Also, the menu probably wouldn't be equivalent to the Pinnacle Grill either.

It's hard for me to believe that people are still discussing this topic. Each side has made their point(s) many times over and said it many different ways.

This is a topic each side should agree to disagree, and move on.

HAL has not created a suite only dining room, and the only chatter I hear about it is on this 'what if.... hypothetical thread.'

The thing we enjoy most on cruises and traveling is meeting and talking with people from different age groups, backgrounds, countries, cultures, and religions. Anything that excludes our ability to do that will be very sad and diminish our enjoyment of traveling.

Coming soon, HAL's newest ship! All OV cabins, identical in every way. All at the same price. No suites, no balconies, but there will be multiple promenade decks with deck chairs, none of which is reserved, so there will be plenty of fresh air available to all. Meals will be in the main dining room or the buffet, and both locations will serve the same menu. Neither dining area will have windows so that no table is "better" than any other. There will be no Pinnacle, Canaletto, or Tamarind. The areas that night have been taken up by these elitist venues will now be added to adjacent public areas, which will have plenty of seats for those who wish to relax. No specialty coffees, but coffee and tea will be available in the buffet 24/7, no extra charge.

A contest is currently underway to name this new ship. Current vote-getters are Egalitarianisdam, Nosnobisdam, and Communisdam.

In the interest of fairness and to ensure all passengers enjoy the same experiences, Holland will implementing new amenities:

* "Egalitarian Access". Access to deck chairs, pool loungers, and other public areas will be strictly controlled and passengers will be assigned times to use these items. Assignments will rotate on an hourly basis to ensure all passengers have equal access. "Muster Procedures" will be utilized to ensure that all passengers are in their assigned locations at their assigned times.

* "Egalitarian Dining". Passengers will find their dining time and tables assignments for the next day in their cabins each evening. Since some table assignments maybe considered to be better than others, passengers will be expected to change tables after each course.

Holland will be cancelling the Mariner's Program since it promotes a perception that some passengers are valued more than others.