Early Boarding/FTTF

KatiHNelson

It's been several years since I have cruised with Carnival and I can't remember what we decided to do? We are registered for the earliest boarding time currently.

Once you board the ship, the bars and buffet is open correct? And you can go ahead and get in the pool even if you can't get into your stateroom correct?

And what's everyone's opinion on FTTF? Is it worth it? It's my boyfriend and I and we are pretty laid back so I don't want to waste $50 if its not worth it?

We did FTTF once from NOLA and for us it wasn't worth it. We got onboard about 10 minutes before Zone 1 was called. There were no tender ports where we would have had priority boarding. It was nice being able to drop off our carry on bags in our room but other than that, no.

There are many many previous threads on this topic!

Everyone has a different size wallet and different needs!

It is now $60 and we won't cruise without it!

We like having the cabin ready when we board.

We like getting on early and getting off early.

We like the special line at guest services.

IF none of these things are important to you then don't buy it. None of us can decide if it is "worth it " for you.

Only you can decide that!

It's been several years since I have cruised with Carnival and I can't remember what we decided to do? We are registered for the earliest boarding time currently.

Once you board the ship, the bars and buffet is open correct? And you can go ahead and get in the pool even if you can't get into your stateroom correct?

And what's everyone's opinion on FTTF? Is it worth it? It's my boyfriend and I and we are pretty laid back so I don't want to waste $50 if its not worth it?

Yes, the pool bars will be open, and most if not all inside bars will be operational....pool is open and so is buffet....how big of a deal is it for you to be on as close to first on board as possible? If you get there early, even without FTTF, you will probably board 5 or 10 mins after the FTTF. If that is worth the $60 to you, have at it

Edited by First and Ten

IF none of these things are important to you then don't buy it. None of us can decide if it is "worth it " for you.

I agree with everything said here! We usually book far enough in advance so that we are able to get it. Well worth the $60.00 to us.:)

Yes, the pool bars will be open, and most if not all inside bars will be operational....pool is open and so is buffet....how big of a deal is it for you to be on as close to first on board as possible? If you get there early, even without FTTF, you will probably board 5 or 10 mins after the FTTF. If that is worth the $60 to you, have at it

While it's true group 1 will board right after FTTF, what isn't denoted is when you have to arrive at port to get in group 1. At Long Beach it's 9:00 on average to get group 1.

On our last cruise some friends arrived at 9:00 and only got group 2. They boarded at 12:10. Time in port prior to boarding ... 3:10.

We had FTTF and arrived at 10:55. Parked, dropped bags with porter, walked to terminal and were checked in by 11:20. We then boarded at 11:30. Total time in port prior to boarding ... 0:35.

While it's true group 1 will board right after FTTF, what isn't denoted is when you have to arrive at port to get in group 1. At Long Beach it's 9:00 on average to get group 1.

On our last cruise some friends arrived at 9:00 and only got group 2. They boarded at 12:10. Time in port prior to boarding ... 3:10.

We had FTTF and arrived at 10:55. Parked, dropped bags with porter, walked to terminal and were checked in by 11:20. We then boarded at 11:30. Total time in port prior to boarding ... 0:35.

OK, I will take your word on Long Beach....I was just answering the posters question. If they get there early and IF they get Group 1 or even Group 2, you will board right in back of the FTTF group....5-15 mins later. I also said if you want to spend the $60 for FTTF (and it is available), have at it

Edited by First and Ten

What if its not possible for me to get to the port early and its gonna be 12 or 1 before I get there?

If you get to the terminal at 1 - 1:30, there will be a good chance you will have more security personal in the terminal than boarding passengers....the herd would have long cleared out at that point and you will stroll on board in about 10-15 mins

Edited by First and Ten

OK, I will take your word on Long Beach....I was just answering the posters question. If they get there early and IF they get Group 1 or even Group 2, you will board right in back of the FTTF group....5-15 mins later. I also said if you want to spend the $60 for FTTF (and it is available), have at it

I understood your point I was just trying to add some clarity on what "get there early" might actually mean. For some they may interpret that statement as 15 mins.

Of course my example was only 1 port. With the staggered check in process they are rolling out, things should be totally different. In those cases FTTF wouldn't be as big a benefit ... even I might skip FTTF.

Yes I know you are shocked! 😜😎

Edited by DnD_Cruisin

This pretty much sums it up for us as well.

We have a child with Asperger's Syndrome (so anxiety is a big issue for him), being ahead of the crowds and exploring the ship before it's packed, as well as having access to the cabin right away are priceless for us!!

It really comes down to what's worth it for you personally. For us it's well worth it to avoid a possible anxiety attack/melt down.

I understood your point I was just trying to add some clarity on what "get there early" might actually mean. For some they may interpret that statement as 15 mins.

Of course my example was only 1 port. With the staggered check in process they are rolling out, things should be totally different. In those cases FTTF wouldn't be as big a benefit ... even I might skip FTTF.

Yes I know you are shocked!

Shocked???? Not at all....I have cruised with FTTF and without it. I usually will try for it if I know I will be at the terminal early with the rest of the herd. If I don't get it, no big deal. I do marvel at what I call the "FTTF crazies"....these are the people who post whacked out crap like "I WILL NOT CRUISE WITHOUT IT" and come on the boards, completely maniacal saying "THIS IS HORRIBLE, I CRUISE IN A MONTH AND FTTF IS STILL SOLD OUT, WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT IT"....or the ones that stay up between midnight and 6 am, refreshing the carnival page every 10 seconds for 6 hrs to see if it magically becomes available. Those psychos scare me :D

Edited by First and Ten

It's my boyfriend and I and we are pretty laid back so I don't want to waste $50 if its not worth it?

This statement makes me think it would not be worth it to you. It really is just getting on the boat a few minutes faster and dropping your luggage for us type A non laid back people.

Shocked???? Not at all....I have cruised with FTTF and without it. I usually will try for it if I know I will be at the terminal early with the rest of the herd. If I don't get it, no big deal. I do marvel at what I call the "FTTF crazies"....these are the people who post whacked out crap like "I WILL NOT CRUISE WITHOUT IT" and come on the boards, completely maniacal saying "THIS IS HORRIBLE, I CRUISE IN A MONTH AND FTTF IS STILL SOLD OUT, WHAT WILL WE DO WITHOUT IT"....or the ones that stay up between midnight and 6 am, refreshing the carnival page every 10 seconds for 6 hrs to see if it magically becomes available. Those psychos scare me :D

LOL! For us it's the convenience of less lines/waiting etc. If I have to work that hard to get it (if sold out when booked) it kind of defeats the purpose for me. If it isn't available I try for it the morning after final payment. If I get it..I get it. If not..I'm still cruising just with less perks. For sure my vacation isn't ruined as a result lol

FTTF is perhaps the best marketing gimmick that Carnival ever came up with....Think about it, it doesn't really cost them anything (basically they have to have the room stewards work a bit out of order getting the rooms ready. Other than that, they aren't doing anything different)....I would like to know what the "crazies" would pay for it. Most of the FTTFers think $60 is a slam dunk no brainer deal....what would be the cutoff? $100? $200? $500? I personally would probably go up to $100. Higher than that, probably not

Edited by First and Ten

This statement makes me think it would not be worth it to you. It really is just getting on the boat a few minutes faster and dropping your luggage for us type A non laid back people.

You "Type A" people make for some seriously good entertainment in the terminal when you don't have FTTF....seems you always get stuck in the scanning line behind the person with about 14 carryons who moves really really really really slow. You are tapping your carryon bag, craning your neck to see if you can switch lines and yapping at your poor spouse about "can you believe how much crap people bring on board"....thank you for making my embarkation process much more bearable :D

Edited by First and Ten

Its worth it to me because I prefer to be able to go right to my room and get settled in. I like not having to wait in a looooong guest services line if I need something.. I like the priority tendering. Plus I cannot go through metal detectors and having FTTF during my last cruise seemed to make embarking smoother(i.e. I didn't hold up the regular longer line for others).

Its just a personal preference.. I'm as laid back as can be but the little perks make the cruise a little better. Plus $50-60 bucks is nothing to me.

M

What if its not possible for me to get to the port early and its gonna be 12 or 1 before I get there?

My husband and I purchased FTTF in June out of Miami. We got there way later than expected due to a missed flight. When we arrived at 1 it must have been a ton of people outside waiting and more in side lined up in the terminal area. We walked passed both lines right up to counter and onto ship after getting checked in. Took us all of about 15mins. My personal opinion is that it is totally worth it.

Really? Do you really mean that you won't cruise without it, or are you just using hyperbole. If Carnival dropped the program (which I seriously doubt, and do not wish) would you stop cruising carnival? Where would you go?

Just curious because I hear a lot of people say that, and I was curious if they really mean it.

People just need to be sure not to confuse boarding and check-in. Check in and boarding are different. You pick a time to check in when you do your check in steps online. If you have a check in time of 11am and arrive at 9am you will not be allowed in the building. If you have FTTF, you can arrive at whatever time you wish and be checked in. You will then have to wait for the ship to be cleared for boarding, before you actually board. With FTTF, yes, you will board before the others who have been assigned zones, however you will board after Plat, Dia, Suites, Weddings and handicaps.

FTTF does give you other benefits other then flexibility in check in, so be sure to look at all the benefits.