Dominica Question #2

puzzums

I'm a non-swimmer and get nervous when I hear the words "maneuver through the challenges of bubbling rapids". Just how challenging and scary are the Layou River rapids? If I understand correctly, the water is pretty shallow the whole way? How deep are the pools at the end?

They say it's possible to drown in a couple of inches of water and if there's a way to do it, I'm sure I'll find it, lol!

Thanks.

It really isn't hard to navigate and goes quite slow with the exception of a few 'faster' parts, but there are people who help you all down the river...the end is a bit deeper but has a flat bottom and stone 'steps' to get you out.

The water was less than thigh high on the guys who work there. We had a great time!

Depending on how far away your cruise is, I would suggest taking some adult swim lessons. Not being able to swim leaves you extremely vulnerable in so many situations, and it also keeps you from experiencing a whole lot of really fun activities (floating in the ocean, snorkeling, jet skiing, wakeboarding, going to a water park. To a lesser degree, it makes doing those things with a life jacket a lot more scary and less fun than it needs to be.

I recently discovered there are lots of options for adult swim lessons when a friend turned down an invitation to spend the day on my wakeboard boat because he can't swim and is afraid of water. I had no idea that there was such a thing as an adult who never learned, but found out it's actually extremely common when I asked an acquaintance to give him private swim instruction. She shared that this is very common and she has an ongoing class geared specifically towards adult non-swimmers.

I would seek out something like this, it will make you feel a lot more confident and less apprehensive about water and boating activities. I can't imagine the fear I would have if I knew I had to rely on a floatation device to keep me alive in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't like getting my face wet...and I CAN swim. I won't do activities that require me to immerse my head in water. Just saying.

I don't think the OP particularly cares if she gets her face wet..she doesn't want to drown. Your reply I am sure was most helpful to her. :rolleyes:

If you can't swim don't go . My wife fell out of the tube more than once and nearly drowned. The river was running very heavy and I told her not to go but?? They should have cancelled. So beware if it's a rainy day the river will be running brown mud. Definitely don't go!

I recently discovered there are lots of options for adult swim lessons when a friend turned down an invitation to spend the day on my wakeboard boat because he can't swim and is afraid of water. I had no idea that there was such a thing as an adult who never learned, but found out it's actually extremely common when I asked an acquaintance to give him private swim instruction. She shared that this is very common and she has an ongoing class geared specifically towards adult non-swimmers.

Most YMCAs offer these types of classes!

If you can't swim don't go . My wife fell out of the tube more than once and nearly drowned. The river was running very heavy and I told her not to go but?? They should have cancelled. So beware if it's a rainy day the river will be running brown mud. Definitely don't go!

Thanks for sharing this experience, I can imagine that the depth and flow rate would vary considerably by time of year and rainfall. My (non-swimming) husband LOVES river rafting/tubing but I get scared for him because what happens if the tube tips? I can swim but wouldn't be able to rescue him and we'd probably both end up drowning because I would try to. I plan to use your post to convince him this excursion isn't a good idea.

Agree with the posting on swim lessons for adults, I learned to swim at age 33 to compete in triathlons. But husband's issue is a near-drowning as a child that left him scared of not having his feet on terra firma. We tried one-on-one swim lessons for him and even then he couldn't make himself go into deep water. So why does he love river rafting and want to go on these tubing excursions? Somehow he feels safe in the tube/raft and thinks rivers aren't as dangerous as the ocean (where his near-drowning occurred). And also he likes watching my hair turn grey with each adventure.

Thanks for the responses. I took adult swimming lessons years ago but was never able to conquer going in the deep pool without a flotation device, or putting my head under the water. I have done several snorkeling tours over the years and did so succesfully due to a guide staying with me the whole time. Then I had two very bad experiences and have sworn off ever snorkeling again. But, since posting my question I have watched a few youtube videos and these river rapids don't seem that extreme, with workers stationed everywhere. Years ago I got talked into white water rafting on the Kicking Horse river in BC (google it!). I will NEVER do anything that extreme again, but I figure if I could survive that, I can survive these little rapids. It does look like fun. Here's hoping it doesn't rain and the river will be low and mild mannered!

Yes please heed my advice. If you can't swim don't go. I was to far down to aid my wife , luckily her brother was near and got here in and they went down together . We did not see any guides from the tour to help. Think there were to many folks having trouble. Also if the river is running brown stay out!!