Laundry soap on RC

read52

Someone asked what soap RC uses to wash the sheets and towels. We found out after my husband broke out in hives. It is Tide which he is allergic to.

They gave us sheets out of the package to solve the problem.

Good to know... I am allergic to so much but Tide is one thing I have either built up a tolerance for or not allergic to :)

Altho I do make sure all my clothes, towels, sheets etc go through a dbl rinse cycle at home...

I would have thought the cruise lines would use a generic commercial detergent, not a name brand like Tide (if that is what they use). I have been fine on cruise ships and in hotels, but my face reacted to the pillow cases and sheets in the hospital last time I was there. Hmm. :(

EDITED TO ADD: OP - what about the towels? I'm sure they use the same soap on all the laundry.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

RCI uses commerical-grade Ecolab products in their laundry machines, not Tide. However, this commercial-grade detergent may contain some of the similar cleansing agents as household detergents. The detergent might not be the only allergen factor, as various other bleaching agents and destainers are used in the laundry machines as well.

I would have thought the cruise lines would use a generic commercial detergent, not a name brand like Tide (if that is what they use). I have been fine on cruise ships and in hotels, but my face reacted to the pillow cases and sheets in the hospital last time I was there. Hmm. :(

EDITED TO ADD: OP - what about the towels? I'm sure they use the same soap on all the laundry.

Me, too! :)

RCI uses commerical-grade Ecolab products in their laundry machines, not Tide. However, this commercial-grade detergent may contain some of the similar cleansing agents as household detergents. The detergent might not be the only allergen factor, as various other bleaching agents and destainers are used in the laundry machines as well.

Fascinating answer. Did you learn this on the All-Access Tour?

This was our 12th cruise with RC. This is the first time my husband had hives. They were on his neck and stomach area. He went down to Customer service and asked what they used. They told him that it was Tide. We are just going to ask that they give us new sheets or bring our own.

Fascinating answer. Did you learn this on the All-Access Tour?

As far as I know, all the major lines use Eco-Lab products. The machines have programmable dosing pumps that meter in various agents depending on the cycle chosen. This can be detergent, bleach, softeners, disinfectants, alkalis, even acid, since the majority of laundry water is reclaimed A/C condensate water, and will have a high copper content from the A/C coils, which will turn whites green if washed at high temperature. The acid counteracts the copper.

Some times the metering pumps get out of calibration, causing problems with skin irritation, etc. Typically, Eco-Lab comes on the ship monthly to check the operation of their equipment.

Guest services, along with 90% of the crew onboard are uninformed about ship's operations. Additionally, Tide is what may be provided for crew laundromats, hence the guest service person thinking that was shipwide.