Does Anyone Remember the Midnight Feast ?

Winchester Ranger

One of Maureen Ryan's stories featured Cunard's signature "Midnight Feast" and I never did ask her to expand on the details.

Has anyone ever experienced it on one of the older ships - was it really at midnight, how long did it last, what food did they serve etc etc.

It piqued my curiosity.

Sounds like a posh name for the midnight buffet that used to be offered on many cruise lines.

A search on Google books revealed some results, in the 60's there is mention of a midnight buffet on Cunard, served in the restaurants from midnight to 1 am and in the self service from midnight to 2 am!

There was probably one on our cruise on QE2 in 1991, certainly can't remember, and I have mislaid my daily events sheet as well, it old age!

We had many cruises on P&O and we certainly went to several midnight buffets in the 90's, a wonderful show, but who wants to eat at midnight, when you have had a 5 course meal a few hours earlier! There must have been an awful waste of food, and a lot of effort from the staff.

... but who wants to eat at midnight, when you have had a 5 course meal a few hours earlier! There must have been an awful waste of food, and a lot of effort from the staff.
Hi Adammara,

From previous posts here and on FB, many of those who went regularly to the midnight buffet (not just on Cunard) in the distant past seem to have fond memories of them.

Not sure if it is a change of lifestyles, cost-cutting by cruise lines, healthier eating, food waste, staffing issues or whatever, that has largely stopped them.

I can well imagine that huge effort went into cooking and presentation... only for passengers to take a few nibbles, and discard the rest.

However I have to agree with your comment; I certainly wouldn't want to eat a meal after midnight on land or sea, esp having eaten very well earlier in the evening.

(The one cruise I did have a meal around midnight was on the QM2. I was part of a large group, we'd all had an early meal in Lotus and then spent the entire evening on deck enjoying a special sailaway party and fireworks in Hamburg (we had invited VIPs on board for the evening). By time we were well beyond the city someone suggested it and so we all descended on the Kings Court very late. I didn't feel well all night; stuffed with food and bloated (although I had only a small amount to eat). Never again).

Best wishes to you.

Edited by pepperrn

Well, I found my QE2 'Daily Programme' for Friday 8th November 1991, a Midnight Buffet was served in the Colombia Restaurant from 12 am to 1 am, with a a wine and Beverage service. 'You are kindly asked to refrain from pipe and cigar smoking in the restaurant'! Cocktail of the day was £1.60!

I also have the 'Welcome' dinner menu for the 8th, and lunch and dinner on the 9th, I will try to scan these and post a link later. I was 52 at the time, but wasn't allowed to carry my tray to the table in the buffet, a waiter did it, those were the days!

There was certainly a midnight buffet on the QE2 as late as 1999, that was my last trip on her I think. My memory is a bit dodgy these days but I do remember it was a splendid display and I think included ice sculptures and some very fancy artwork with carved veg and fruit and also butter sculptures. My digestion was a lot more forgiving in those days and I attended on several occasions. Nowadays it's Horlicks at 9.30. Ah Well!

MM

I remember it on QE2 in the early 1990s. As mentioned in the Columbia Restaurant. There really was what seemed wall to wall food, one evening was a "gala" event where in addition to the normal spread there were chefs in their whites ready to flambé prawns, crepes and other delicious things on request. I recall too the ice statues, fancy flower arrangements, carved fruit and historic silverware. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but l remember it as very civilised and don't recall seeing greed and wastefulness like you see nowadays in a few instances in Kings Court.

Back then l was young so after the buffet it was off to Club Lido for a drink and dancing. Bed was for later.

I never travelled on the original Queens so can't comment on the midnight buffet on them.

M-AR

One of Maureen Ryan's stories featured Cunard's signature "Midnight Feast" and I never did ask her to expand on the details.

Has anyone ever experienced it on one of the older ships - was it really at midnight, how long did it last, what food did they serve etc etc.

It piqued my curiosity.

The Athena when she was owned by Cruise international, used to have a midnight buffet. And yes it was at midnight. I would post some photos but don't know how. She is now the Astoria. K

I remember it on QE2 in the early 1990s. As mentioned in the Columbia Restaurant. There really was what seemed wall to wall food, one evening was a "gala" event where in addition to the normal spread there were chefs in their whites ready to flambé prawns, crepes and other delicious things on request. I recall too the ice statues, fancy flower arrangements, carved fruit and historic silverware. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but l remember it as very civilised and don't recall seeing greed and wastefulness like you see nowadays in a few instances in Kings Court.

Back then l was young so after the buffet it was off to Club Lido for a drink and dancing. Bed was for later.

I never travelled on the original Queens so can't comment on the midnight buffet on them.

M-AR

Nice post and just as I remember it, though my first experience of QE2 was a few years later. Cruising does seem a bit less colourful now than then, but I too was younger then.

David.

Hi,

Most cruise lines had midnight buffets but gradually phased them out (my first cruise was in 1967). They were spectacular and featured a tremendous variety of food and ice carvings. This was the opportunity for the galley staff members to display their food artistry (vegetable carvings, very fancy desserts, etc.). I remember the buffet opening a little early for people to take photographs before being open to people who intended to eat. I'm sure that these buffets were very expensive and a large amount of food was wasted.

In later years (about 15 years ago), the QE2 had its midnight buffet in the Lido Restaurant. I remember the attractive blue lighting scheme in the Lido Restaurant at night.

Chuck

It was a magnificent feast on QE2 all through the '90s. Held in Columbia/Coronia and later the Lido Cafe but piled high on elaborate ice sculptures were seafood, savories, and sweets of all types. Many on board managed to stay awake till midnight just to come take a picture then toddle off to bed having eaten nothing. Others might use it to fuel up for the "Party till Dawn" push. Admittedly, in earlier years I was in the latter camp. Graduated to the former later on. On one particularly friendly crossing, the party till dawn group was particularly festive on the last night. Yes, I made it till dawn fueled partly by the Midnight Feast. My reward? I got to face disembarkation, Immigration, Customs, and a 4 hour drive in the left lane on a massive hangover. :eek: To this date it was my last "Midnight Feast". Let's just call it a learning experience.:D:D

I remember midnight buffets on all of our early cruises on HAL, NCL, QE2. I took lots of pictures of the displays over the years. I remember midnight chocoholic buffet on NCL, and the "grand buffet" on formal nights on QE2. On one of our QE2 cruises , they had a dessert extravaganza one night. Yum!!

I would have a piece of cake or some cookies and a glass of milk as a bedtime snack. I remember seeing people with plates piled high with food--roast beef, shrimp, all kinds of things. I used to wonder who could eat all that at such a late hour--we did get dinner, after all. Then one night, I think we were on our 5th or 6th cruise, not sure which line, we went in a bit late to grab a small something, and I looked around at the tables loaded with plates full of abandoned food. The waste was appalling. "I paid for it, so I'm going to take all I can" mentality at work! I think the change to a "late snack" is less wasteful and healthier.

QM2 used to do specialty buffets at lunch rather than late night. They would set it up in KC in the area behind the elevators. I've seen crepe stations, seafood, chocolate displays, a "cheesecake factory," and other specials. Not sure where they could do that in the new setup.

It piqued my curiosity.

Because Cunard and many other cruise lines offer 24/7 dining, the old mid night buffet has become obsolete. However, I cruise with a smaller cruise company who use much smaller ships and are therefore unable to offer 24/7 dining, but do offer late night buffet which normally starts around 11pm. I am usually too stuffed from dinner to attend but do look forward to the last evening buffet display and see what the chefs can do with food.

Hi WR,

Your questions brings back memories of a cruise on the Furness "Queen of Bermuda" in 1966.

IIRC there was early bkfst, bkfst, late bkfst, elevenses, lunch, late lunch, tea, late afternoon snack, dinner, after-dinner snack and midnight buffet.

My recollection of the midnight buffet is of two very long tables loaded with fruits, fish, fowl, meats, pastries and breads.

I have a strong memory of smoked ox tongue.

Being somewhat younger then, I didn't think that it was too much food.

Ira

Hi Kunnocat,

> I would post some photos but don't know how.

1. click "go advanced"

2. Click "manage attachments"

3. at "upload from computer" click "browse"

You will be taken to "windows explorer" or equivalent

4. choose your photo

5. Click "upload"

6. Your picture will appear as a thumbnail

Ira

Oosterdam.jpg.68a9c301a1b659f1a34f1a949aca2472.jpg

Edited by I_r_a
additional material

I did the boston to bemuda cruise on norwegian many years back. i think around 20 years ago. They did the midnight buffet. It was mostly light snacks and desserts fruits etc. It was a great treat after the early dinner (which I believe was at 5).