Stateroom question with toddler

Robbiesox15

In between mom and dad. :)

There was no hint of that, she said 3 in cabin and 2 were children. I was curious why the 4 y.o. couldn't sleep in the other bed. I guess she felt the 4 y.o. might fall off the bed. Can't she put extra pillows next to the bed?

I understand there are no bed rails available for toddlers. Any suggestions on how to set up a bed so toddler doesn't fall out? Thanks!

Sorry ... I don't have any great ideas for you; however, at 4 I would think that he/she would be able to sleep in the bed without bed rails. Give it a try at home first.

You might try the Family Cruising form for ideas.

Edited by Schoifmom

I understand there are no bed rails available for toddlers. Any suggestions on how to set up a bed so toddler doesn't fall out? Thanks!

She just turned 4. Total of 3 in cabin. My 7 year old will sleep in pullman.

The couch can be made up as a bed. The back pillows (bolsters?) come off. How about putting those on the floor directly in front of the couch? Or ask your cabin steward for extra comforters to use as a cushion on the floor.

She just turned 4. Total of 3 in cabin. My 7 year old will sleep in pullman.

A couple of thoughts:

1. Bring a bed rail from home. Our home ones fold flat so it went into the luggage. Had the bed made up to King, co-slept w Dad on one side and the bed rail on the other. (If you are driving just pack your bed rail even if it won't fold up.)

2. I've heard the pool noodle suggestion several times, give it a try at home

3. Sleep on the floor. My DD loves to sleep on the floor, she thinks it's a great treat! Fold up a duvet, get an extra blanket for a cover and set your little up on the floor.

4. If you have some time, try training her without the bed rail at home for a while ahead of the cruise and see if she's ready for that.

Good luck and have a great time!

rolled up towels under the fitted sheet on the bed work well. Ask your room steward for extra towels for this purpose.

My now 6 yr old has been cruising since he was 18 months and our last 2 family cruises (taken annually), he has slept on a pullman by himself. Planning to do that again on our Sept cruise

Edited by DobberDog

I have a toddler myself that will be sailing in January when he will be 2.5

I am going to try the 'roll the towels' up thing, but someone on another board suggested the Inflatable Shrunks. I have NOT tried these myself, but after experimenting with the towel at home, if they don't work, I will most likely get them.

https://www.amazon.com/Toddler-Shrunks-Inflatable-Safety-Toddlers/dp/B00J0YTT72/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470859339&sr=8-1&keywords=inflatable+bed+rail

On the couch bed, we stack the back cushions up against the open side.

Maybe put a mattress in the floor? Or, make a "nest" using cushions, towels and blankets.

We've also pulled a chair around to block the edge. That worked well until we tried it with a wiggler...

Consider stacking up empty suitcases to use as a barrier.

At home, our 3-year old sleeps in his converted crib (low to the ground), and daddy puts down pillows just in case he tumbles out.

It's a challenge! If you can maneuver the bed against a wall, you'll only have one side to worry about.

Jennifer

Since when is a 4year old a "toddler"???

That's for when they are learning to walk and they "toddle" around.

I was using "toddler" for purposes of simplifying my question. I am aware that a four year old is not technically a toddler. Thank you for your helpful contribution to my question.

My younger DS would roll over the pool noodle/towel bolster/extra pillow, even his big brother - that child would always find a way to roll out of bed! For our first cruise, when he was 5, we dragged the cabin's chair up against the open edge of the bed, and for whatever reason, that worked like a charm. Ymmv :D

I used an inflatable bed rail from One Step Ahead when traveling with my young child! Awesome product and packs flat into a small bag. My child slept fine on one of the Carnival couches at 4 years old with no rail (and he is an active sleeper). Maybe see how they do with no rail before the cruise?