drink prices

nunuc2000

So... I have heard recent conflicting reports. It use to be you would simply pay the difference for any drink, but technically super premiums and espresso drinks (yes I know it is alcoholic) are excluded from the ubp. I have heard some posts saying they paid the difference some people said they were charged the whole amount. Is there anyone that has a definitive answer that has recently sailed? Also still no word if they will make a dark and stormy with myers dark. Technically it is no longer a dark and stormy since the recipe requires goslins, but I would assume the would make a myers and ginger beer.

The new Terms and Conditions indicate a $15 discount for Super Premium drinks. So, $1.95 plus 18% gratuity with UBP. But then my question is: is the gratuity calculated before or after the discount? Who wants to guess it's after? That way you get to pay 18% for the package and an additional 18% for the whole drink. NCL wins all the way around.

The new Terms and Conditions indicate a $15 discount for Super Premium drinks. So, $1.95 plus 18% gratuity with UBP. But then my question is: is the gratuity calculated before or after the discount? Who wants to guess it's after? That way you get to pay 18% for the package and an additional 18% for the whole drink. NCL wins all the way around.

I bought 2 glasses of icewine at the Mondavi bar that was over the limit by like 1.50-2.00 a glass. the 15% was on the overage, not the full 17.50 a glass or whatever it was.

I don't know if that is the consistent way the do it fleetwide, but that is my limited experience with purchasing drinks over the 15.00

Does anyone have the menu with champagne prices. Interested in bottles and glass. I know we had Cliquot by the glass in Le Bistro for up charge.

Thanks

http://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Cellars-2.jpg

http://eatsleepcruise.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Cellars-3.jpg Cliquot will cost you 8.75 plus 18%

Edited by SNJCruisers

The champagne menu isn't there. I've seen it somewhere, can't find it now.:)
The menus that SNJCruisers posters posted are only available on the Escape. For the rest of the fleet, the champagne choices in the wine list are:

• Moët & Chandon Impérial ($89)
  • Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label ($95)
  • Dom Pérignon ($199)

They also have two Proseccos ($36 and $44), Pere Ventura Cava ($41), Casa Valduga Rosé from Brazil ($43), and Chandon Brut from California ($46).

The only one available by the glass under the UBP is the $44 Prosecco ($10.95 a glass). Veuve Clicquot is offered in small tasting glasses at Le Bistro ($9), but it is excluded from the UBP. Again, things are apparently different on the Escape.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

The menus that SNJCruisers posters posted are only available on the Escape. For the rest of the fleet, the champagne choices in the wine list are:

• Moët & Chandon Impérial ($89)
  • Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label ($95)
  • Dom Pérignon ($199)

They also have two Proseccos ($36 and $44), Pere Ventura Cava ($41), Casa Valduga Rosé from Brazil ($43), and Chandon Brut from California ($46).

The only one available by the glass under the UBP is the $44 Prosecco ($10.95 a glass). Veuve Clicquot is offered in small tasting glasses at Le Bistro ($9), but it is excluded from the UBP. Again, things are apparently different on the Escape.

Thank so much.:):)

And I'm contemplating a Christmas cruise, and the Escape is more than Oasis and Allure over Christmas week! Which I just find CRAZY!

Thanks for all the info - def looks like a good deal on the Oasis.

I face a similar predicament when it comes to drink packages - as my gf only consumes 5 or 6 drinks over the course of a week-long cruise. If NCL ever drops the UBP promo, and still requires all adults in a room to purchase it, I'll likely go elsewhere unless I can get creative with room assignments when traveling in a group.

I face a similar predicament when it comes to drink packages - as my gf only consumes 5 or 6 drinks over the course of a week-long cruise. If NCL ever drops the UBP promo, and still requires all adults in a room to purchase it, I'll likely go elsewhere unless I can get creative with room assignments when traveling in a group.

You sir have your priorities straight! "Alcohol". I will definately ask the bartenders if they can make me a Chocolate Martini under the 15.00 limit.

After I slip them some quiet money!

Hopefully as the saying goes money talks, BS walks!

You sir have your priorities straight! "Alcohol".

Top priority is a fun, care-free vacation, making me a big fan of UBP/SDP (even when purchased). By the time I arrive to the ship, I have all of my expenses covered, and can simply enjoy the ride.

Do you have a link to the new terms? I still see the same ones as before.

I have to assume that super premium brands that were covered before are still covered now but subject to the $1.95 upcharge. There is no way NCL thinks people are stupid enough to have the UBP and pay $16.95 for a drink...or do they? lol

and at 80.00 per day plus gratuity for NCL package, it's a crime they don't include absolutely everything. 44.00 plus gratuity per day for the Royal one and it includes bottled water and most of the super premium brands out of reach for NCL UBP limit ! :eek:

Edited by aubreyc1988

and at 80.00 per day plus gratuity for NCL package, it's a crime they don't include absolutely everything. 44.00 plus gratuity per day for the Royal one and it includes bottled water and most of the super premium brands out of reach for NCL UBP limit ! :eek:

I can't disagree. I had purchased a premium drink package on Celebrity a few years back, and was able to purchase it individually. It was definitely a plus to order up specialty coffees and grab water bottles when leaving the ship.

What's interesting - that trip reaffirmed our preference for NCL. We often felt homesick when seeing the NCL ships in port.

One thing many people do after a night of heavy imbibing is drink water and/or coffee.

NCL's gonna get you on one side of it or the other. ;)

I've also experienced the freebie drinks package (Classic) from Celebrity. They did include coffee, but the line for a coffee in the morning was unbearably long -- at least a 20 minute wait (did I mention I hate lines -- kind of my Achilles heel). I got waiter service for two drinks the entire 7 day cruise, and had to go to the bar every other time. Plus many drinks were not included in my cheapo package, and we all had many a conversation about what was and wasn't covered everytime any one of us ordered a drink.

The clincher was the first drink we ordered from a waiter, and he told us that to get a pina colada, we'd have to pay extra and upgrade to the Premium Package, and all we could get with the Classic Package was Bud light or a gin and tonic. I knew that was wrong, and wondered whether he was new and misinformed or made a commission from upselling the Premium Package.

New changes notwithstanding, I liked the NCL package better (at least on the cruise I did -- didn't like the service charges, which Celebrity didn't charge), but the limitations, complete lack of waiter presence (for us anyway) and line ups for free lattes tipped the scales toward the NCL offering. I'll gladlypay $4 not to stand in a 20 minute line.

Please try and let us know how it works out. But the way the menu reads now, it's the same price no matter which vodka you ask for. :(

I will ask/try to see how it works out.

1) Hopefully they will make one with "cheaper vodka"

2) pay the difference

3) if either of above doesn't work it will be "1 and done"!

Washington Apple Martini's would be next. Never hurts to have a backup plan.

I will ask/try to see how it works out.

1) Hopefully they will make one with "cheaper vodka"

2) pay the difference

3) if either of above doesn't work it will be "1 and done"!

Washington Apple Martini's would be next. Never hurts to have a backup plan.

OMG, I don't drink Martinis, but with all the talk about the Chocolate Martini, I'm going to have to try it on my next cruise.

Do you have a link to the new terms? I still see the same ones as before.

I have to assume that super premium brands that were covered before are still covered now but subject to the $1.95 upcharge. There is no way NCL thinks people are stupid enough to have the UBP and pay $16.95 for a drink...or do they? lol

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

End of the second paragraph: "Any items over $15 USD will receive an $15 USD discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account."

My question remains: how much is the difference? $1.95*.18=$2.30 or ($16.95*.18)-15=$5.00. Knowing the new NCL, I'm guessing it's going to be the latter. "That's the way the computer does it; can't do anything about it." ;)

https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

End of the second paragraph: "Any items over $15 USD will receive an $15 USD discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account."

My question remains: how much is the difference? $1.95*.18=$2.30 or ($16.95*.18)-15=$5.00. Knowing the new NCL, I'm guessing it's going to be the latter. "That's the way the computer does it; can't do anything about it." ;)

I would think that techincally they really should only be able to charge the 18% on the amount you arent getting covered by your UBP, but you know what they say about assuming.

I would think that techincally they really should only be able to charge the 18% on the amount you arent getting covered by your UBP, but you know what they say about assuming.

As an aside, when I did the calculations for my post, I discovered that a "Super Premium" drink at $16.95 with an 18% "Auto-Gratuity" costs exactly $20.00. :eek: Absolutely preposterous. Count me as a less-than-super-premium kind of guy.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

As an aside, when I did the calculations for my post, I discovered that a "Super Premium" drink at $16.95 with an 18% "Auto-Gratuity" costs exactly $20.00. :eek: Absolutely preposterous. Count me as a less-than-super-premium kind of guy.

Yea, its why I'm leaning towards them including those drinks on the UBP but charging the additional $1.95.

Most people on board have the UBP and those that don't are probably not big drinkers and chose to take a different promo, so they aren't spending $20 on a drink.

And anyone dumb enough to have the UBP and pay $20 for a shot or drink with a grey goose flavor or patron for example, deserves what they get. haha

OMG, I don't drink Martinis, but with all the talk about the Chocolate Martini, I'm going to have to try it on my next cruise.

I tried one on my last CCL cruise. Way to strong for this girl. I only took a few sips before having DD finish it for me. But then I am not a big drinker and find many drinks too strong for my tastes :o.

Yea, its why I'm leaning towards them including those drinks on the UBP but charging the additional $1.95.

Most people on board have the UBP and those that don't are probably not big drinkers and chose to take a different promo, so they aren't spending $20 on a drink.

And anyone dumb enough to have the UBP and pay $20 for a shot or drink with a grey goose flavor or patron for example, deserves what they get. haha

Don't forget solo cruisers. We're rarely offered a promo. Two of my upcoming cruises are in balcony cabins so I have UBP on those, and I booked one in a studio when they were actually offering a promo for studio bookings. :)

I tried one on my last CCL cruise. Way to strong for this girl. I only took a few sips before having DD finish it for me. But then I am not a big drinker and find many drinks too strong for my tastes :o.
Not a huge drinker anymore, use to be able to down 6 or 7 tequila shots in my heyday, so I'll probably, like you, only have a few sips.

I'm booked on the Epic in Feb with the UBP as one of the perks.

Who else in this booking time frame has the sinking feeling (no pun intended) that by the time we board, EVERYTHING except beer and cheap wine will be over $15.00?

Of course this may have the unforeseen consequence of folks without the UBP not buying ANY mixed drinks at those prices. :eek: