Security Concerns on Carnival

It may not have been clear to him as he wasn't in the bathroom. All he knew is someone was running the water in the shower. What better time to inquire if it's fixed or not? Doesn't sound like he was standing there next to her, but cautiously opened the door to ask a question."Water good?" "Yep". OK on to the next call and probably didn't think twice about it.

It might be a little awkward to some people, sure. But unless he pulled back the shower curtain (again it could have just as easily been a big, burly man in there) or attempted something more, then I see it simply as a person doing their job and moving on to take care of what other issues there are onboard.

The bathroom doors also lock BTW.

If the shower is running, there's likely someone showering. To each his/ her own, but I personally would have been taken aback to a stranger entering the bathroom when I was in it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by soccersharon

If the shower is running, there's likely someone showering. To each his/ her own, but I personally would have been taken aback to a stranger entering the bathroom when I was in it.

No doubt I would have been a little surprised, but I don't think I would be overly concerned or freaked out. But then again I'm not the kind of person that gets easily offended or feels like a victim of the world. I am in no way saying you or anyone else here is. I mean that I am a confident, smart, secure woman that number one wouldn't put myself in certain situations to begin with. But should I be faced with what others consider to be a horrible thing, I would simply choose not to let it get to me and carry on with life learning what I can do differently so it doesn't happen again. That's all.

What's that saying? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I agree 100%. When he entered the room, he could hear the shower running, at which point he should have immediately turned around and headed right back out the door. No question.

I've had room stewards come in the room while I was in the restroom, and once they saw I was in the room, they apologized and said they'd be back later.

FWIW as long as the service person wasn't coming at me w a hammer to bash my brains in, I couldn't care less if they saw me naked.

We all have the same parts and we shouldn't be ashamed of our bodies.

Now if the service person was was a HONEY DELUXE, I'd call the front desk and thank 'em! :D

Edited by Viesczy

First off, I've never heard of security having to open a door for maintenance, on any line, and certainly not with mandatory passenger presence, unless the passenger demands it. Carnival even states in their ticket contract that the cabin can be searched at any time, with or without your presence or knowledge.

The engineering staff that repair cabin infrastructure (plumbers, electricians, and A/C techs) actually have more access to cabins than the cabin stewards do. Stewards' keys will only open a block of cabins they are assigned to, while maintenance keys will open any cabin, passenger or crew. However, the engineering staff are credentialed merchant mariners, who have had at least rudimentary background checks, and who can lose their credential and their ability to sail on any ship, if found guilty of acts against a passenger, like theft or whatever, which is far more than I can say for the cabin stewards.

Now, while I agree with the OP that this was a disconcerting experience, and that the maintenance person should have backed out and called the cabin when he heard water running, this was not an unauthorized entry. It is not a security issue, it is in fact a training issue.

Key card swipes are recorded in the door lock mechanism, usually about 3-4 months worth, and it records whose card it is. Anytime there is a complaint from a passenger about theft or unwarranted entry, the first thing security does is go download the key swipes. They then check the date/time stamp against the cabin steward or the room service crew's work schedule, and they will also verify that there was a maintenance work order issued for that cabin, and the crew was also on his normal work schedule.

First off, I've never heard of security having to open a door for maintenance, on any line, and certainly not with mandatory passenger presence, unless the passenger demands it. Carnival even states in their ticket contract that the cabin can be searched at any time, with or without your presence or knowledge.

The engineering staff that repair cabin infrastructure (plumbers, electricians, and A/C techs) actually have more access to cabins than the cabin stewards do. Stewards' keys will only open a block of cabins they are assigned to, while maintenance keys will open any cabin, passenger or crew. However, the engineering staff are credentialed merchant mariners, who have had at least rudimentary background checks, and who can lose their credential and their ability to sail on any ship, if found guilty of acts against a passenger, like theft or whatever, which is far more than I can say for the cabin stewards.

Now, while I agree with the OP that this was a disconcerting experience, and that the maintenance person should have backed out and called the cabin when he heard water running, this was not an unauthorized entry. It is not a security issue, it is in fact a training issue.

Key card swipes are recorded in the door lock mechanism, usually about 3-4 months worth, and it records whose card it is. Anytime there is a complaint from a passenger about theft or unwarranted entry, the first thing security does is go download the key swipes. They then check the date/time stamp against the cabin steward or the room service crew's work schedule, and they will also verify that there was a maintenance work order issued for that cabin, and the crew was also on his normal work schedule.

Once again, the voice of reason and knowledge sets the record straight, as usual. I honestly appreciate your contribution here!

I now lock the cabin and my husband has to wait until I open the door if I am showering, napping, or I am in the balcony.
I feel bad for your husband . Crew member was not well trained but I believe this thread is an overreaction .

Lock the door and put out the do not disturb sign .

My past experience - I once had a shower with no hot water - and of course contacted guest services - then off to dinner and show and around the ship - I come back to my cabin late at night - to see the door WIDE OPEN - I gingerly go inside and see 2 repair men and a carnival staff member.

I was puzzled as to what was going on - I was informed that they were trying to fix the water issue and it seems the crew member (looked liked a guest service staff person) was in there 'supervising/watching' the work - indicating to me that they do NOT LEAVE repair men alone in the cabins? I was surprised and impressed - but now that I was here she could leave...and off she went...

I was exhausted and wanted to clean up, change into my jammies and go to bed (it was around 1 am) - but couldn't until they finally left!

They actually did not fix it and it was several times and different repair men that appeared and disappeared until it was finally corrected. However they were now working on some panel on the outside of the cabin - so no strange intrusions.

Wonder if the policy has changed and if it is normal to have a crew member 'watching' the workers while they are in your cabin?

...and yes I travel solo and ALWAYS DEADBOLT the door when I enter the cabin!

Edited by Froufie

If it was true, just because the water was running, unless maintenance hears you singing your shower song they dom't know if someone is in there. An incredible amount of thoughtless guests leave the shower running to steam their clothes to remove wrinkles.

We had loss of water for the better part of a day. When it was fixed no one apologized or even acknowledged that it had been off. It was as if nothing had happened. I certainly hope the horrifying event that you had is taken more seriously and gets someone's attention. My point....yes, not only is better training needed but also better customer service.

Horrifying? Really? If this is horrifying than I hate to see how someone reacts when something truly bad happens.

Would I have been startled and annoyed? Yes. But I would not have been afraid. As others stated if you filed a maintenance report and they knocked and no one answered of course they are just going to walk in. Once he heard the shower running he probably should have called out to see if someone was in fact showering or left and called. He should not have opened the door to the bathroom.

Froufie, I was beginning to think it was just me!

Granted, two of my service calls were for non-operating safes (dead batteries), so maybe when it's something like that, you are required to remain present so you can't claim afterward that they stole your stuff.

The other was the door to the cabin itself wouldn't open. That was when I had to stand in the hallway, wait for security who waited with me until the maintenance guy showed up. I was told I had to stay in the cabin with him. Thought it was dead battery in the door but the entire apparatus had to be replaced, which meant I had to sit and wait for him to return with the parts and replace it all. Since the door was non-operational, it had to be left open until he returned (or else he couldn't get back in) which also meant I couldn't leave the cabin unattended. Given how overworked the cabin stewards are, I wouldn't even think of asking him/her to stand there and wait for maintenance to return! They aren't my servants.

So maybe it depends on the type of maintenance needed.

Yes, if there's a plumbing leak, I would think they'd want to get someone in there as quickly as possible.

Granted, two of my service calls were for non-operating safes (dead batteries), so maybe when it's something like that, you are required to remain present so you can't claim afterward that they stole your stuff.

The other was the door to the cabin itself wouldn't open. That was when I had to stand in the hallway, wait for security who waited with me until the maintenance guy showed up. I was told I had to stay in the cabin with him. Thought it was dead battery in the door but the entire apparatus had to be replaced, which meant I had to sit and wait for him to return with the parts and replace it all. Since the door was non-operational, it had to be left open until he returned (or else he couldn't get back in) which also meant I couldn't leave the cabin unattended. Given how overworked the cabin stewards are, I wouldn't even think of asking him/her to stand there and wait for maintenance to return! They aren't my servants.

Yes, if there's a plumbing leak, I would think they'd want to get someone in there as quickly as possible.

Yes I have had safe issues a few times and the only way they will come is if you are there because of the contents. I'm thinking it may have been the same because it was the door and they didn't want to be held responsible if someone came in and took your things since your cabin couldn't be secured.

My past experience - I once had a shower with no hot water - and of course contacted guest services - then off to dinner and show and around the ship - I come back to my cabin late at night - to see the door WIDE OPEN - I gingerly go inside and see 2 repair men and a carnival staff member.

I was puzzled as to what was going on - I was informed that they were trying to fix the water issue and it seems the crew member (looked liked a guest service staff person) was in there 'supervising/watching' the work - indicating to me that they do NOT LEAVE repair men alone in the cabins? I was surprised and impressed - but now that I was here she could leave...and off she went...

I was exhausted and wanted to clean up, change into my jammies and go to bed (it was around 1 am) - but couldn't until they finally left!

They actually did not fix it and it was several times and different repair men that appeared and disappeared until it was finally corrected. However they were now working on some panel on the outside of the cabin - so no strange intrusions.

Wonder if the policy has changed and if it is normal to have a crew member 'watching' the workers while they are in your cabin?

My thoughts exactly along these lines too. Some folks who travel together and especially cruising become more comfortable and get reminded..I had a weird reminder to be careful careful cruising or traveling alone dream last night.

I don't link to someone's past behavior or comments much here......this is just a "learning all the time" thread that can be good for all of us..thanks Froufie and OP...I hate the waiting when waiting for jammies and pooped traveling but thank God for these folks.

The last time I called Maintenance was on arrival to one week to be spent in Vegas, last Sept...it was a great just off the drag very nice budget hotel with free shuttle to Ceasers..so there were maybe slightly more problems but fast help. It was a weird farm animal smell..never had smelled it before..and it turned out to be someone smoking pot...LMAO...never had I smelled it like that...I did go to school in seventies and 80's..I guess now know it has a huge variety of smells...LOL..the security were so cute to me..ma'am all should be no problem now...me "what was it..it smelled just like a skunk that sprayed the horse or the house or truck next to you..or in the barn" ; laughingly and politely..."Ma'am we think it was marijuana" ..."OHHHHH...LOL..never even thought of it with that smell"...glad I stayed dressed because I has inadvertently made a situation where they would have to check my room too......lol..after the LONG LATE like half day late one way flight. Solo travel issues....include fatigue and waiting if you call for help!!

Edited by sjn911

Agreed...all along same lines as many see it...once I was able to fix a flooding toilet..and I am not a great fixer...the hotel manager cut my bill in Half...that was so fun..in San Fran in my early 30's...lol...

Edited by sjn911

Knock on the door. But in the shower. DO not hear knock on the door. Engineer comes in. Hears shower. Does NOT barge into the bathroom. Opens door, inquires. Find out someone is there. Ask question. Get answer and leaves.

If the intent of the post to spread a nasty attitude towards Carnival?

Knock on the door. But in the shower. DO not hear knock on the door. Engineer comes in. Hears shower. Does NOT barge into the bathroom. Opens door, inquires. Find out someone is there. Ask question. Get answer and leaves.

If the intent of the post to spread a nasty attitude towards Carnival?

And I had the thought he heard the shower running, but that really didn't verify someone was in it. He might have been verifying if the water running was secondary to a leak. The poster said the door opened and she saw an arm only. If the person wanted to attack, seems like he'd walk right in.