Stunning Catherine Palace, St. Petersburg

14_zpsbckemqrs.jpg

Catherine Palace Grounds, St. Petersburg

15_zpsolzrxhyv.jpg

Catherine Palace, St. Petersburg

16_zpsr2x99zdc.jpg

First Lunch in St. Petersburg

17_zpsy0sm0xt9.jpg

The metro of St. Petersburg opened in 1955. Staffed by 15,000 people it has five lines, 67 stations, and 1,600 trains. Serving 2.3 million passengers each day it is the 12th busiest metro system in the world. The subway is the deepest in the world - a steep 105 meters below ground. It also has some of the most beautiful stations. Each station is a work of art with wonderful statues, mosaics, and carvings. I knew early on that I wanted to see at least one metro station and confirmed with TJ Travel that we would.

We arrived at the Pushkinskaya Metro Station. The station opened in 1956. We needed tickets to visit the station so our guide bought our tickets (the ticket booths are very elaborate) and we got on the VERY long escalator. This station was "only" 57 meters deep. The first thing you notice is how extremely clean the station is! No trash around at all. The walls are snow-white marble and the floor is made of polished dark-red granite. The vaulted ceilings are decorated with moulded wreaths. At the end of the station is a sculpture of the famous Russian poet Alexander Puskin set against panels depicting a park. After seeing this station I am sure that on a return trip to St. Petersburg, I'd try to see as many more as possible.

Next we boarded a boat for a trip down the Neva River and along the canals. I loved weaving through the islands and under the bridges. It's always fascinating to see a city from the water. We passed many St. Petersburg landmarks from Anichkov Bridge to Peter and Paul Cathedral. One note is that there was no shade and it was very hot but overall it was a great trip! (One thing I'll note here since when sorting through photos of the boat trip I came across one of a guy smoking is that so, SO many people smoke in Europe/Russia - everywhere!. It's strange to think that the U.S. was the same way at one time. If you are sensitive to smoke, you will definitely notice it.)

We finished our boat trip on the Fontanka River near the Faberge Museum which was our next stop. The museum is located in the newly restored Shuvalov Palace on the river. It was recently opened - 2013 - almost a decade after Viktor Vekselberg purchased a one-of-a-kind collection of Faberge works which had been collected by Malcom Forbes. The museum contains the world's largest collection of works by Carl Faberge. Nine of Faberge's famous Imperial Easter Eggs are the highlight of the museum as well as the most valuable pieces in the museum. The eggs were created for the last two Russian emperors - Alexander III and Nicholas II - and each is a masterpiece of jewelery and art. The eggs are stunning and the details are incredible. The museum houses all kinds of objects including works by famous Russian jewelers and silversmiths such as Sazikov, Ovchinnikov, Khlebnikov, Rückert among others. The eggs were obviously my favorites but I really liked the religious works as well. The Faberge Museum is definitely a highlight of any visit to St. Petersburg!

We left the museum and headed down Nevsky Prospekt (a main shopping street), passing by Palace Square, on the way back to the ship. It had been a very long day. We were supposed to be back at the ship by 5 and it was after 6:30. We were happily exhausted! Once we arrived back at the cruise terminal we took a quick peek at the small souvenir shops before heading back through immigration. The lines were almost non-existent and we were back on board the ship within a few minutes. Dinner at the Windjammer and back to our room to relax....and sleep!!

Cruise Compass for Day 4:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn5egoy101nl9pu/Complete%20Day%204.pdf?dl=0

Entrance to Pushkinskaya Metro Station, St. Petersburg

18_zpsb5dvvs3u.jpg

Ticket Window Pushkinskaya Metro Station, St. Petersburg

19_zpsiyqygdac.jpg

Inside Pushkinskaya Metro Station, St. Petersburg

20_zpsuchjzsfb.jpg

Metro at Pushkinskaya Metro Station, St. Petersburg

21_zps9u0jgxao.jpg

Russian McDonalds across from Pushkinskaya Metro Station, St. Petersburg

22_zpso7fz4atv.jpg

St. Petersburg from the water

23_zps3subllal.jpg

St. Petersburg from the water

24_zpsfy7trpri.jpg

Approaching Anichkov Bridge - the oldest and most famous bridge across the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg

24_zpsfy7trpri.jpg

Anichkov Bridge - the oldest and most famous bridge across the Fontanka River in Saint Petersburg

25_zpsffjilvm1.jpg

Smoking....St. Petersburg

26_zpsgsijs2cw.jpg

[quote name=Donna_In_India;50871854Religious Object' date=' Faberge Museum, St. Petersburg

33_zpsx8wfp9nr.jpg

Those are really interestingly different! :D:):D Great and fascinating review and photos! Thanks for sharing your cruise.

Cruise Compass Day 4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn5egoy101nl9pu/Complete%20Day%204.pdf?dl=0

On our second day in St. Petersburg we were through immigration within minutes. Our happy group of 12 was on the bus and ready for another day. Our first stop was at a market. It was not a market in the traditional sense of a foreign market - outdoors with separate stalls. It was indoors and more like a grocery store. There were separate sections - cheese, meat, spices, etc. Then there were a couple of stalls with fruits and vegetables that did look like they were separately owned since they had some of the same things for sale. I was disappointed that I didn't have any rubles to spend there. The didn't take foreign currency or credit card. Our guide had said that the market wasn't much and she was right. I was expecting something a bit different but it was interesting to see none the less.

Next we headed to Peter and Paul Fortress. The fortress is located on Zayachy Island. It was ordered built by Peter the Great in 1703 and is considered to mark the founding of St. Petersburg. Originally built in wood it was later replaced - section by section - in stone which would take 20 years to complete. It has a grisly history - hundreds of forced laborers died while building the fortress. Later the bastions were used to guard and torture political prisoners, including Peter the Great's son, Aleksey.

Although there are several buildings on the island the most famous (and the only one we explored) is the Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul. You can see its tall spire from many places around the city. The cathedral is the oldest church in St. Petersburg and was built in Baroque style which is very different than traditional Orthodox churches. Inside you will find the tombs of all the rulers of Russia since (and including) Peter the Great. Also here are the tombs of both Catherines and Elizabeth. The lids of the tombs are decorated with large bronze cross coated in pure gold. Tombs of the rulers have four bronze emblems of the Russian Empire at each corner. The marbled columns, sparkling chandeliers, colorfully painted decor, and the ornate nave and the pulput are truly beautiful and IMO this is must see when in St. Petersburg. There is much more to see at the fortress and I think you could spend several hours here (there is also a beach). Unfortunately being pressed for time other than the Cathedral we only popped in to see the boathouse (which is now a ticket office and souvenir shop) before leaving for our next stop, Church on Spilled Blood.

All of my life I have seen photos of the Church on Spilled Blood. Before our cruise, if I had only been able to see one thing, this church would have been it. Well....sometimes things don't live up to your expectations. That is by no means to say that this isn't a spectacular church...it is. But there were just SO many amazing sights/places in St Petersburg, that when I left, I couldn't pick a favorite.

Church of Spilled Blood is also known as the Resurrection of Our Saviour. It is located on Griboyedov Canal Embankment and you can get a split second glimpse of the church when you pass by in a boat. The Church was built on the spot where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated as a memorial to him. The exterior of the church is very busy....5 colorful domes, mosaic panels depicting scenes from the New Testament, ceramic tiles, carved marble, and more - but it all works. Inside there are 20+ types of minerals including jasper, rhodonite, serpentine, porphyry, and Italian marble - that are used on the mosaics of the iconostasis (the panel that separates the altar from the central part of the church), icon cases, floor and the canopy which sits over the exact spot where Alexander died. After exploring we went outside to see the church from different sides. Near the water were some buskers, small stalls selling souvenirs and an owl and raccoon available for a photo opp. The sun was shining and looking up at the church was just one of those perfect moments in time!

We had such a full morning and it was time to turn our thoughts to lunch. We went to the Malt House (yes, I did think it was an odd choice). We had potato salad and beef stroganoff, which I normally love. The potato salad was excellent but the stroganoff (served with potatoes instead of noodles) was really not good. Apparently this was a new restaurant choice by TJ. Unfortunately it was not a great one.

Next up - Peterhof...and a not-to-be missed St. Petersburg experience!

Inside the Market, St. Petersburg

101_zpsfqu1xlao.jpg

Inside the Market, St. Petersburg - these were DELICIOUS!!

102_zpss88v271t.jpg

Inside the Market, St. Petersburg- Spices

103_zpsydk6ghkk.jpg

Inside the Market, St. Petersburg - Dried Fruits/Nuts

104_zps5q8cckf1.jpg

Inside the Market, St. Petersburg - Looking like a grocery store

105_zpsrorhviru.jpg

Inside the Market, St. Petersburg - Fruits & Veggies

106_zps4zew2yuj.jpg

Entrance to the Peter and Paul Fortress is through the gates of the Ioannovskiy Ravelin

107%20-%20%20entrance%20to%20the%20Peter%20and%20Paul%20Fortress%20is%20through%20the%20gates%20of%20the%20Ioannovskiy%20Ravelin_zpsqwwa1oav.jpg

The Mint - Peter and Paul Fortress

108%20-%20the%20mint_zpsnhydfry5.jpg

Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul

109_zpsuptwgjsm.jpg

Inside Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul

113_zpsly6lxscz.jpg

Inside Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul - The Nave

111_zpshy8yyn6x.jpg

Inside Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul - Tombs

112_zps59ggj0vk.jpg

Edited by Donna_In_India