Anchor Points for Pacific Island Ports

Just a question for those who frequent the Pacific Islands namely Mystery Island, Vila and Champagne Bay. I am planning a Princess cruise next year namely Emerald Princess and am wondering if any past passenger to these destinations can give Google Earth coordinates or describe in the best way possible the location where the ship is most likely to anchor off these ports.

I am looking into doing my own beach activities at these ports and will not be venturing far from the ship. I just want some good beaches to kick back and relax on and get in some good quality snorkeling.

Just a question for those who frequent the Pacific Islands namely Mystery Island, Vila and Champagne Bay. I am planning a Princess cruise next year namely Emerald Princess and am wondering if any past passenger to these destinations can give Google Earth coordinates or describe in the best way possible the location where the ship is most likely to anchor off these ports.

I am looking into doing my own beach activities at these ports and will not be venturing far from the ship. I just want some good beaches to kick back and relax on and get in some good quality snorkeling.

For Mystery Island, the ship anchored somewhere around the -20.242828, 169.774079 coordinates. The island is quite small and can be walked around in less than an hour.:D

For Port Vlia it may be docked, we have in the past however I am not sure if the Emerald may be too large. The cruise ship terminal is at -17.754929, 168.303976.

Mic can you narrow it down to where the captain is situated,these co-ordinates can be a bit vague mate.

Naw its ok what you have provided is cool.

Heres my co-ordinates,

see that island yep that's the one,5/10 min boat ride.

Where do you get this stuff.;);)

For Mystery Island, the ship anchored somewhere around the -20.242828, 169.774079 coordinates. The island is quite small and can be walked around in less than an hour.:D

Thanks I take it you are referring to that smaller island with what appears to be a airstrip the entire length of it on google earth satellite view?

If so then that is perfectly fine for me to enjoy the beach life on that island.

Yes regarding Vila the Emerald Princess itinerary says that will be a tender port. Perhaps Emerald is too large to dock.

So far it looks like it is easy to do my own thing on Mystery Island and Champagne Bay. Vila will need some research.

The other ports are Lifou and Noumea which I have been to. I am happy to take the excursion in Noumea to Amadee Island and Lifou just happy to go to Jinek Bay.

We are on the Emerald Princess in November, our itinerary isn't showing Port Vila as a tender:confused:........just wondering where you are seeing this?

doing a search for your cruise on the Princess website, it isn't showing as a tender port.

I am sure Solstice/Carnival/Voyager/ Explorer all dock there, perhaps there is another ship in port with you?

Thanks I take it you are referring to that smaller island with what appears to be a airstrip the entire length of it on google earth satellite view?

If so then that is perfectly fine for me to enjoy the beach life on that island.

Yes regarding Vila the Emerald Princess itinerary says that will be a tender port. Perhaps Emerald is too large to dock.

So far it looks like it is easy to do my own thing on Mystery Island and Champagne Bay. Vila will need some research.

The other ports are Lifou and Noumea which I have been to. I am happy to take the excursion in Noumea to Amadee Island and Lifou just happy to go to Jinek Bay.

Yes it is, they have some market type stalls set up and such but not much else to do but swim, or snorkel. The far side of the island is best for the beach and coral but it would really depend on the weather on the day .:D

Mic can you narrow it down to where the captain is situated,these co-ordinates can be a bit vague mate.

Naw its ok what you have provided is cool.

Heres my co-ordinates,

see that island yep that's the one,5/10 min boat ride.

Where do you get this stuff.;);)

LOL, yeah captains on the bridge eating some pavlova with ice cream.

Google map lat/long coordinates.:D

We are on the Emerald Princess in November, our itinerary isn't showing Port Vila as a tender:confused:........just wondering where you are seeing this?

doing a search for your cruise on the Princess website, it isn't showing as a tender port.

I am sure Solstice/Carnival/Voyager/ Explorer all dock there, perhaps there is another ship in port with you?

Just double checked and I misread tender for Mystery Island which was directly under Vila. I am going in January 2017.

I remember on a tour that I did round Port Vila being told by our guide that the beaches are all privately owned. You need to have permission from the owners who could be the local village or go to a resort that owns a beach.

I don't know if this is fact, only what a local told our group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just double checked and I misread tender for Mystery Island which was directly under Vila. I am going in January 2017.

Oh are you going early January or back end of January? I'll be on Emerald at the end.

Edited by makawe

Oh are you going early January or back end of January? I'll be on Emerald at the end.

I am going at the end. I work with school children so I will just fit it in bar a few days which works well for me. I am hoping that there will be less children on towards the end of January because the last time I went to the Pacific Islands on Radiance of the Seas was early December and there were too many.

Hideaway Island Resort in Vila might be a good option.

I will keep that in mind and do all the research of costs to use beaches if any. I am just happy to swim and snorkel and enjoy the beach life.

We have just had a week at Santo where Champagne Bay is. It was so lovely just sharing the beach with only a couple of others and not a whole cruise ship full.

I do suggest you get one of the local taxi drivers to take you to either Port Orly, Turtle Bay or Oyster Island which all have restaurants and good snorkelling away from the crowds. The Blue Holes too are worth a visit.

There will be market stalls set up at Champagne Bay and they also sell fresh lobsters, fish and chips and Tusker the local beer, wine and even champagne.

We have just had a week at Santo where Champagne Bay is. It was so lovely just sharing the beach with only a couple of others and not a whole cruise ship full.

I do suggest you get one of the local taxi drivers to take you to either Port Orly, Turtle Bay or Oyster Island which all have restaurants and good snorkelling away from the crowds.

I'm guessing you weren't there on a cruise ship day, but do you happen to know if anyone has kayaks for hire there on those days ?

Of those 3 resorts, which one would you pick for a kayak, especially along the foreshore and perhaps up a river to a blue hole ?

thanks

I do suggest you get one of the local taxi drivers to take you to either Port Orly, Turtle Bay or Oyster Island which all have restaurants and good snorkelling away from the crowds. The Blue Holes too are worth a visit.

There will be market stalls set up at Champagne Bay and they also sell fresh lobsters, fish and chips and Tusker the local beer, wine and even champagne.

Sounds wonderful, mm, could go for some of that right now.

So could I MicCanberra.

We came home and it was that cold I booked to go back at Christmas.

Oyster Island has kayaks for hire we went there on a Sunday for their BBQ Lunch. One of the girls with us said it took about 45 mins to paddle to the Matevula Blue Hole.

I have done a Trip Report on TripAdvisor if you are interested in having a read.

So could I MicCanberra.

We came home and it was that cold I booked to go back at Christmas.

Oyster Island has kayaks for hire we went there on a Sunday for their BBQ Lunch. One of the girls with us said it took about 45 mins to paddle to the Matevula Blue Hole.

I have done a Trip Report on TripAdvisor if you are interested in having a read.

Can you post the link here? It is a sister site, so would assume it would not be deleted.

:confused::confused::confused:

Where the ship anchors is totally irrelevant. You can't snorkel directly off the ship.

The important fact is where the ship docks, or where the tenders dock if it is a tender port.