Does Princess automatically add a tip for room service?

SueCruz

Then why the automatic tip for your room steward? Making the bed & changing towels doesn't equal $10 per person per day, does it?

$10 per day per person covers the Room Steward, your Waiter and your Asssistant Waiter. I believe it is $3.50 for RS / $3.50 for W / $3.00 for AW. Room Service might have the automatic 15% added if you charge something. We have had Room Service breakfast and there is no extra charge for it.

I believe the $10 per person per day is for room steward AND dining room staff.

Room service is not delivered by your room steward.

You can always adjust the automatic tip at the purser's desk if you so desire, but we have always felt the staff has gone above and beyond and tipped accordingly!

On our Diamond cruise in April there was a gratuity line on the slip you sign for receipt of your order. This seemed like a good idea to me since in the past I usually kept a bunch of $1 bills around for this purpose. Will be on the Sun next month. Will be interesting to see if it is done the same way on that ship.

On our Diamond cruise in April there was a gratuity line on the slip you sign for receipt of your order. This seemed like a good idea to me since in the past I usually kept a bunch of $1 bills around for this purpose. Will be on the Sun next month. Will be interesting to see if it is done the same way on that ship.

On all of our cruises, when you sign the receipt (say for drinks) be advised there is an automatic 15% added to the cost. You can add more if you want on the gratuity line. On our first cruise, I didn't realize this and added 15% and ended up tippiping a total of 30%.

We also met a guy on one cruise that got a bundle of new $1 bills and had them bound into a tablet (like a note pad). It was fun watching him tear off a couple of bills everytime he gave a tip.

Just got off Caribbean Princess: and there was a line to add a gratuity to the room service order. On the Dawn Princess in February there was no line so I had to make sure I left a couple dollars on the counter before I went to bed (it was our wake up call to get breakfast delivered every day).

Last month on the Grand, and other ships in the past, there is a slip to sign showing the delivery of the order. There is a spot to add a tip on there, and that is added to your bill, but it is up to your discression. That money is added into a pool for all room service staff, as per one of my delivery persons. They like cash better (obviously!).

At XMas time last year, my local Savings and Loan had books of $25 or $50 in new, seqential ones, intended for Gifts/children I would assume. I stocked up and use a book each time I cruise for tips. It is a great way for me to not fritter all of my ones away as the cruise goes on, I tend to spend them very easily on shore! I also like to collect $2.00 bills throughout the year to take on a cruise. Alot of cultures consider them good luck, since they are pretty rare. I always like the look of delight I get when I give them!!!

Casey

I might have to agree with the automatic tip NOT being charged. When we were on CB in September, we ordered room service once or twice and noticed a $3.95 charge. I assumed this was the auto tip - and didn't question it as it was only charged once or twice.

We have cruised once a year for the last 6 years on Princess. We use room service every day, usually in the AM. The only time we have to sign a slip is when we order some item that their is an additional charge, such as fresh squeezed OJ, a bloddy mary, or some other for charge item. If it is alcohol, the 15% tip is added. We always tip a couple of bucks for simple items like coffee and rolls, more if the order is more extensive.

Room service on all our trips has always been fast and right on time if pre-ordered.

The $10 per person per day auto tip goes to your room steward, the wait staff in the dining room and most other wait staff such as in the buffet, and other "non-visable" service staff, such as laundry, kitchen help, etc.

All bar orders have a 15% added to the bill for tips. The person who delivers your room service order does NOT receive any of the auto tip.

Fair winds

Dave

There will be no tipped added for room service to your shipboard account. I have noticed this has come up before in posts and it is either a mistake or the OP ordered something that is not a free item from room service, like soda, or specialty coffee or something.

But you will not see a charge on your account for ordering room service. IF you do and you didn't order anything not free, then dispute it with the pursers desk when you see it.

I might have to agree with the automatic tip NOT being charged. When we were on CB in September, we ordered room service once or twice and noticed a $3.95 charge. I assumed this was the auto tip - and didn't question it as it was only charged once or twice.

Did you by chance drink the large bottled water that was in the room? If you do - it shows up as a Room Service charge on your bill and the amount is $3.95.

I have heard a lot of people ask this at the Purser's Desk and that is the answer they gave (and we have drank it and been charged also). They should code it differently.

Did you by chance drink the large bottled water that was in the room? If you do - it shows up as a Room Service charge on your bill and the amount is $3.95.

I have heard a lot of people ask this at the Purser's Desk and that is the answer they gave (and we have drank it and been charged also). They should code it differently.

You know - that is exactly what it was - now that I think about it ~! Thank you for clearing that up for me...I was quite confused.

Archived