Penthouse vs Concierge on Explorer

For those of you who have already experienced the Explorer, we were wondering if you could comment on the difference between the penthouse and the concierge suites. We booked a Penthouse, but we don't particularly like the layout-- as best we can determine from photos, etc.. It looks like one 'side' of the wall is pretty narrow. We are thinking of changing to a concierge because it looks/feels more open and the bed faces out to the ocean. [emoji38] Any thought? Thanks.

We prefer the concierge suite to the PH (we stayed in concierge but toured the PH). In addition to the layout, the closet space in the PH is very small and the bed faces the wall instead of the sea. As you probably know, there is a large shower but no bathtub in the PH but there is both in the concierge suite.

Particularly for those like us who must have a bath tub, the more interesting question would be the Superior Suite vs. the Concierge Suite...(we know what our answer is; save the additional money!)

I was in both the Concierge (deck9) and PH (deck12) and preferred the Concierge suite. It had a deeper balcony, a larger closet, and for me better laid out storage. I hardly used my Butler although he was very nice. I always prefer to be on a lower deck and in the middle of the ship.

Peggy

OK grasshoppers, been following this thread and another related thread with interest...we are in an F1 Guarantee, on the 11/16 Explorer Rome/MIA TA. Like TravelCat we like/prefer the F1 for the reasons discussed. Don't like the layout of the PH. What do you all think of an UPGRADE to a PH?? Would you decline? We are NOT interested in an UPSELL, unless other than a PH and attractively priced....such problems....

OK grasshoppers, been following this thread and another related thread with interest...we are in an F1 Guarantee, on the 11/16 Explorer Rome/MIA TA. Like TravelCat we like/prefer the F1 for the reasons discussed. Don't like the layout of the PH. What do you all think of an UPGRADE to a PH?? Would you decline? We are NOT interested in an UPSELL, unless other than a PH and attractively priced....such problems....

Unless Regent's website is incorrect, everything is waitlisted from E on up at this point - and you are only three months out. If true, we don't think you should hold your breath about any upgrades. It doesn't look like they have need to do that.

... the more interesting question would be the Superior Suite vs. the Concierge Suite...(we know what our answer is; save the additional money!)

Don't forget that with an E concierge suite, you can take a credit for the pre-cruise hotel. On some itineraries, that makes up for most of the difference in fare between an E and an F1.

And then with the E, you get the double-wide balcony, and the other Concierge amenities - which sometimes make a difference, for example if you don't already have priority with Seven Seas Society. And maybe the discount for fine wines and premium excursions, the Concierge suite becomes a winning proposition.

Yes - we would definitely decline. On the other hand, if we could get an upsell to a Seven Seas Suite, we would accept in a nano-second (definitely an amazing suite).

Wendy, I do not consider anything on the Explorer a "flaw" but rather a preference. While PH suites would be a challenge on long itineraries due to the small closet, the suite is still quite nice. We would normally not book a concierge suite but ended up preferring the concierge suite to the PH. Just a preference.

Edited by Travelcat2

We just got off the Azure Awakenings cruise on the Explorer where we were in a Penthouse suite. I agree the space between the bed and wall and sofa and wall *looks* tight in the pictures and I was worried before we got on board. In reality there's plenty of space for two people to walk around and not bump into furniture or get in each other's way. It did not seem tight at all when we were actually living in the room. I think it looks much more cramped in photos than it really is.

We loved the ability to close the bedroom doors in the morning when our butler brought in breakfast and one of us was dressing. Also the closed doors were great (and soundproof) at night when my husband watched tv while I slept. There's a nice sized dining table where we had canapes every evening and a great table and chairs on the deck where we had dinner several nights- perfect! Another big plus is the shower jets and rain shower head in the ceiling. True there's no bathtub but this is a very luxurious shower. I absolutely enjoyed it. Also there's so much storage I can't imagine beginning to fill all the cupboards. We can't recommend the Penthouse suite enough and we'd definitely pick one again.

Edited by Countess Rosamunde

As indicated we are in a Superior F1 Guarantee, and based on all that we have heard and seen we will be quite content with that choice. Very good to hear at least some positive points regarding actually living in, as opposed to viewing the PH layout, should that option come to pass...Still hoping for that call for the Upgrade to the Seven Seas Suite....::p