RCCL Reduced my OBC by $50

Newatt

I booked my cruise 12 months in advance and recently discovered that the price has gone down by over $1,000. I had my travel agent get me the reduced price. RCCL gave me the new price but reduced my OBC from $200 to $150. When the TA questioned it, they said it was because of the price reduction. She argued that she should have been told that up front (and wasn't) so they gave the $50 OBC back as a "one time courtesy".

Has anyone ever heard of this before? It's 140 days until my cruise. I'm going on a 12 day cruise in a balcony cabin. According to the paperwork, that gets me $200 OBC - no matter what i pay for the cruise.:mad:

Unless I'm mistaken, sounds like they took your $50 and gave it back. Good for you. :)

When you got the price reduction, you get the prevailing rates as well as the prevailing promos (in this case OBC).

When I've taken advantage of price reductions in the past, I had a very similar experience -- that is RCCL's (and any other cruise line's) policy. It is essentially rebooking the cruise at the later date which means you get want anyone else would have gotten. In this case $50 OBC more as a courtesy.

IMO, nothing to get upset about -- you saved a lot of money.

I booked my cruise 12 months in advance and recently discovered that the price has gone down by over $1,000. I had my travel agent get me the reduced price. RCCL gave me the new price but reduced my OBC from $200 to $150. When the TA questioned it, they said it was because of the price reduction. She argued that she should have been told that up front (and wasn't) so they gave the $50 OBC back as a "one time courtesy".

Has anyone ever heard of this before? It's 140 days until my cruise. I'm going on a 12 day cruise in a balcony cabin. According to the paperwork, that gets me $200 OBC - no matter what i pay for the cruise.:mad:

Any price reductions usually result in reduction of OBC from the TA. And yes, its happens, and is perfectly legitimate.

My problem TickledBlue is that when the price goes down again (it has for the last two months), RCCL will penalize me by reducing my OBC. The current offer IS $200 for 12 days in a balcony cabin.

If the current offer is $200 OBC, then they shouldn't have penalized you (and say it was a courtesy giving it back to you). I suspect someone at RCCL was a little clueless.

Next time (if there is one) you'll have better luck.

My problem TickledBlue is that when the price goes down again (it has for the last two months), RCCL will penalize me by reducing my OBC. The current offer IS $200 for 12 days in a balcony cabin.

If you are out of cancellation period, totally cancel and rebook if that works better for you.

What OBC are you referring to. The current offer is 30% off first and second guest, there is no OBC offered, at least not by Royal.

If the current offer is $200 OBC, then they shouldn't have penalized you (and say it was a courtesy giving it back to you). I suspect someone at RCCL was a little clueless.

Next time (if there is one) you'll have better luck.

My TA said the same thing. She said the rep is making things up! She'll fight for it, if they try to do this again. She's a tiger.

What OBC are you referring to. The current offer is 30% off first and second guest, there is no OBC offered, at least not by Royal.

The paperwork I received with the new lower price outlines the rules for my OBC. It's under "Important information regarding your onboard booking Terms and Conditions".

I'm getting OBC because I booked onboard during my last cruise.

The paperwork I received with the new lower price outlines the rules for my OBC. It's under "Important information regarding your onboard booking Terms and Conditions".

I'm getting OBC because I booked onboard during my last cruise.

Thanks. It is important to know what kind of OBC that you had as some kinds can change when you reprice a cruise. As yours was one that you booked on board your OBC should not have been affected.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

If was booked during a cruise now, what would the OBC be? It should be the same.

Booking a specific cruise

-------------------------

•5-7 night cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $50

Balcony/Junior Suite: $100

Grand Suite and above: $200

•8-10 night cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $100

Balcony/Junior Suite: $150

Grand Suite and above: $300

•11-14 night cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $150

Balcony/Junior Suite: $200

Grand Suite and above: $400

•15 nights or longer cruises

Interior/Oceanview: $200

Balcony/Junior Suite: $250

Grand Suite and above: $500

It may be because they re-priced your booking and your new booking is less than 6 months out? Just a thought.

It IS because your cruise is now less than six months away, but the loss of OBC should have been $25, not $50.

I have lost OBC for changes to my reservations several times, and no matter how I pleaded or whom I asked, it was never restored.

Consider yourself lucky, stop complaining, move on.............

and JOIN THE ROLL CALL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217174

I always get a reduction in OBC from booking onboard, if I make any changes within 6 months of the cruise. I also get a reduction in my OBC from the TA if the price drops. His OBC is a percentage of the price of the cruise, without taxes and fees.

If you don't mind me tacking on a question - just where online can one check how much OBC is currently owing for an upcoming cruise? It doesn't seem to be present anywhere in the bookings page.

There aren't any OBC promotions going on right now.

It IS because your cruise is now less than six months away, but the loss of OBC should have been $25, not $50.

I have lost OBC for changes to my reservations several times, and no matter how I pleaded or whom I asked, it was never restored.

Consider yourself lucky, stop complaining, move on.............

and JOIN THE ROLL CALL: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217174

I have never had my OBC from a Decide Now booking reduced no matter when I found a price drop. The balcony discount may go down by $25 or even disappear if a particular promotion isn't combinable with it, but the OBC has always remained intact. The system is set up to wipe out the OBC from those bookings, but it's always been reinstated, either on the spot by a good agent, or after I get the confirmation and notice that it's gone.

If you don't mind me tacking on a question - just where online can one check how much OBC is currently owing for an upcoming cruise? It doesn't seem to be present anywhere in the bookings page.

I've not been able to see OBC on my booking online. However, I do see it on Royal's Guest Copy of the booking confirmation. You can request this from whoever booked your cruise.

I have never had my OBC from a Decide Now booking reduced no matter when I found a price drop. The balcony discount may go down by $25 or even disappear if a particular promotion isn't combinable with it, but the OBC has always remained intact. The system is set up to wipe out the OBC from those bookings, but it's always been reinstated, either on the spot by a good agent, or after I get the confirmation and notice that it's gone.

Thanks for the info Critterchick! I will let my TA know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You are right, Jean. My senior brain farted.

It's the balcony discount that gets nicked within 6 months.

I am glad that you were able to find someone to "fix" your lost OBC, but I have not had success there. :(

The OBC that is provided by making a booking while on a cruise should never be lost, regardless of a price adjustment. We even switched a 7 day to a 9 day, which had a cheaper price and got the increase in the credit because it is the standard terms of the benefits of booking a cruise while on a cruise. We also got the increase when switching one from the 7 to a 17 day too.

Edited by mom2tcdx2