Mystery $500 credit from Celebrity on our credit card

cruisingtheword

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but our credit card statement this month reflected a $500 credit from Celebrity. After calling Celebrity, who referred me to our travel agent, who then referred me to Choice Air, who referred me back to the travel agent, the only explanation I got was from the travel agent who says our account reflects a $250 credit for both my husband and me in relation to our airfare but he has no idea why. I checked the airline website and our reservation seems to be intact with the same seat assignments I chose over 1 month ago. However, it shows as being ticketed on August 10 (the credit was applied on August 8th), but as I said the tickets were reserved and paid for in late June/early July. As long as we still have tickets on this flights, I'm not going to complain too loudly, but it's really a mystery why we got this $500 credit. Has anyone had a similar occurrence, and if so, do you know why?

Maybe that is it. Our cruise is from Tokyo to Hong Kong. I never heard about that special, but as I said, I'm not complaining, just curious. Also, we are just in an OV, so no suite perks for us. Anyway, I'll certainly enjoy the credit until someone tells me I'm not entitled to it! Now if they would just upgrade our airline tickets from coach to business class!

Edited by cruisingtheword

I received a credit of just under £500 on my credit card about a week before I departed on my recent Eclipse cruise. I had noticed that my account had suddenly appeared as in credit a few weeks previously. When I rang Celebrity to query my account the rep was mystified as to how the credit had appeared and after lengthy conversations with a supervisor they suggested that the cruise had been wrongly priced initially but nobody was totally sure.

I did not push any further, I was just thrilled to get the refund.

Nice that this happened, good for you for investigating immediately.

A few years back I got a notification that X had posted a $500 refund to my card (you can set up your notifications as you like on most credit card accounts).

It had been overnight, and I emailed my TA immediately, joking "what did they do, cancel me?".

She called them, and sure enough, they had canceled me - some sort of unexplainable glitch. No one would admit to the error.

Res got re-instated, but in that short time I had lost my corner hump extended balcony, which I had reserved almost the day the itinerary came out.

I left Celebrity for a few years over the incident, even tho the cruise was otherwise lovely. It does pay to look that gift horse in the mouth, just to be safe.

nice that this happened, good for you for investigating immediately.

A few years back i got a notification that x had posted a $500 refund to my card (you can set up your notifications as you like on most credit card accounts).

It had been overnight, and i emailed my ta immediately, joking "what did they do, cancel me?".

She called them, and sure enough, they had canceled me - some sort of unexplainable glitch. No one would admit to the error.

Res got re-instated, but in that short time i had lost my corner hump extended balcony, which i had reserved almost the day the itinerary came out.

I left celebrity for a few years over the incident, even tho the cruise was otherwise lovely. It does pay to look that gift horse in the mouth, just to be safe.

ouch!

Celebrity inexplicably cancelled one of my cruises too. I only found out about it when in my daily monitoring of my credit card I saw a deposit from Celebrity. Turns out it was for a 14 night cruise that I'd booked onboard with a reduced deposit. However, somewhere in the vast deserts of X's IT department....something flagged my booking as not having a large enough deposit...the deposit would have been $900 had I not booked on board. So they just cancelled my booking as they deemed my deposit insufficient and refunded the money. Luckily, in my case, my original cabin was still available.

Edited by helen haywood

Same story here. I received a mystery credit from X on my credit card & just happened to tell the story to a TA with whom I had a booking & he checked & sure enough they had cancelled the booking I happened to have with him. No one had any idea why. Check your bookings.

Thanks for the suggestion to check my booking - I did and everything seems fine. Same cabin, all shore excursions and drink package still showing as paid and airline reservation (through ChoiceAir) is fine with same seat allocations. Apparently Celebrity just determined we should get a better deal (and I already thought it was pretty good!) ;)

I so appreciate all the replies and possible reasons - helped me to verify that all reservations are intact and then to learn that apparently it is a promotional gift from Choice Air. My TA could tell that it was linked to our airfare but couldn't explain why. Now I can sleep soundly so I can wake refreshed with all kinds of marvelous ideas of how to spend our newly found $500 credit!:cool:

I so appreciate all the replies and possible reasons - helped me to verify that all reservations are intact and then to learn that apparently it is a promotional gift from Choice Air. My TA could tell that it was linked to our airfare but couldn't explain why. Now I can sleep soundly so I can wake refreshed with all kinds of marvelous ideas of how to spend our newly found $500 credit!:cool:

Put it towards another cruise, of course! :D