Best beaches in Europe by ship?

cruiseruth49

I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't know where to search so sorry if this has been asked before.

We aren't really into sightseeing, me and my 9 year old daughter, what we want is a nice beach to laze on in the summer so what I am asking is, which ports in Europe have nice beaches that are near to the ports. If you can comment can you let me know if they are within walking distance, bus ride, taxi ride, tram ride etc.

Many thanks

I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't know where to search so sorry if this has been asked before.

We aren't really into sightseeing, me and my 9 year old daughter, what we want is a nice beach to laze on in the summer so what I am asking is, which ports in Europe have nice beaches that are near to the ports. If you can comment can you let me know if they are within walking distance, bus ride, taxi ride, tram ride etc.

Many thanks

The beaches around Vigo in Galicia are spectacular and those of the Costa de la Luz around Cadiz and Huelva in Andalucía or Barcelona in Catalunya are good; all easily accessible by a fair walk or short taxi ride. The Balearic Islands also have easy access by bus to good beaches - Illetas is only a short bus or taxi hop from Palma de Mallorca and is one of our favourites. Back in Andalucía, Malaga has a good beach about 20 minutes walk from the port terminal building or a very frequent bus goes from the port entrance to the vast beaches of Torremolinos, Benalmadena or Fuengirola.

Obviously all these options are in Spain but I am sure you will get many good suggestions for elsewhere in Europe from other posters; one option would be to cruise around Greece and Croatia that also have great beaches.

Edited by campolady

It would help if you could post an idea of some itineraries you're looking at so people could give more specific advice. There are lots of nice beaches within reach of lots of ports in Europe.

Many thanks

Great for nearby beaches:

Palma (Mallorca)

Cannes

Valencia

Barcelona

Ajaccio

Cagliari

and as long as there is not a a strong easterly wind, the sandy beaches in Gibraltar are a short taxi or bus ride away.

If you walk back to the ship from the Civitavecchia train station you can have a swim, you might need rubber shoes so that you can get over the rocks. My husband did this on two of our cruises. Whilst he swam I just took the opportunity to eat more gelato.

La Coruña and Gijón in North Spain. Both have huge municipal beaches.

Was in LaCoruna port in July.

It is a lovely town and the beach is easy walking distance from the cruise pier.

I loved Norhtern Spain and would love to come back for a land vacation.

I live in La Coruña and previously lived in the lovely coastal town of Pontevedra for 23 years so I'm totally familiar with the area and its gastronomy, wines etc. For a number of years I wrote for a British travel magazine called Living Spain. If you need any advice with that land trip, do get in touch. :-)

A

• 8 months later...
I am proud of my Galician beaches but I wouldn't recommend to anyone wanting to enjoy warm waters. Perhaps using a diving rubber suit :-)

Keltic, are you saying that water temperature near the Vigo beach is not "swimmable" ? if yes - sad to hear that :(

Well it's the Atlantic Ocean but current wise it lies outside the Gulf Stream so that means it's quite bracing at times. Having said that I've had fantastic days at the beach in Summer, in and out of the water. Generally if there's a south-westerly wind, you might have a nice dip. If there's a north wind, forget it.

Thanks MacMaghnusa for your reply. What can be possible water temperature at the end of September ? I'm living in San Francsico, California, just 100 feet from water, but nobody can swim all year round as water temperature never goes above 16C. So, hope, this is not a case in Vigo ;p