Can anyone recommend a safe area/hotel to stay near Miami airport?

kvickers

We are flying into MIA one night pre-cruise (family of 6 with young children). Safety is our top priority. We are flying in late at night and it would be convenient just to stay near the airport and use an airport shuttle if we can find a safe hotel/area close by. I have been reading that it is generally not recommended to stay near the airport though, which is concerning.

Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Place Miami Airport East or the Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral and would be willing to comment on their experience? I believe they are newer hotels and can accommodate us in a suite. I would really appreciate some advice on choosing the hotel.

Thank you.

We stayed at Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon in February for 2 nights. We had a separate bedroom with 2 beds plus a roll away and sofa bed in the livingroom. The hotel is across the highway from the airport. We had a car but I remember seeing a shuttle. I always check TripAdvisor before booking a hotel and it got very good reviews.

Blue Lagoon or Doral would be my choice. You say you are flying in late, so all you need is the hotel for the night. Any well known chain hotel or your favorite would be fine as long as you dont plan on leaving the hotel for anything that night. If you need to eat, order delivery. Use the hotel shuttle, and the next morning grab a cab to the port.

Hyatt Place East calls itself a "new" property but I can't picture any recent new construction in that area; I'm pretty sure it is a repurposed old hotel that Hyatt acquired. It would be fine if you are arriving so late that you will just bolt the door and immediately head to bed after arrival--it is not in an area to be walking at night, and the few nearby restaurants are Cockroach Central.

And if you are arriving that late a hotel in Doral may be a bit of a ride especially with tired young children. It is on the west side of the airport in the opposite direction of the port. There is another Residence Inn in a pod of Marriott family hotels just outside the main entrance to the airport at LeJune Rd and NW 12 St (which is a world away from the LeJune Rd./NW 36 St interchange where the Hyatt Place is located)

And it would be helpful if you told us what time "late at night" you are arriving. Some people consider 7:30 late--while by Miami standards 11:00 is only mid-evening.

Edited by fishywood