Price reductions

Fishkillbill

How do the price reductions work?

We booked on May 31, 2016 for the six day repositioning cruise on the Summit. Leaving New Jersey on October 16th. The base price we paid was $799.

I see the price now is $599. This is our first cruise. Should we have waited?

If it's before final payment, your TA should be able to lock in the discount. If it's after final payment you probably won't get the discount but it never hurts to ask for an OBC or refund. Alternatively, look to see if a higher category class is comparable or just a hair more expensive... you can often upgrade for just the price difference after final payment (so you at least get some better value, even if you don't get $ back).

Added in Edit - and move FAST, price drops can be very brief, once it's gone it may be gone for good!

Edited by jb008

What if you made final payment but its not past final payment date and price drops. How does that work as far as refund? Will Celebrity give you any?

What if you get nowhere with Celebrity cruise rep can you go to a supervisor?

we just received a price adjustment in that situation- made final payment a week before deadline and price dropped a few days later. Spoke with Captain's club rep and credit for the price drop was applied.

Sorry so one more. If you are looking for an extra perk if you have brought other cruisers to Celebrity are you better off dealing with Captains Club rep?

Hi again, not sure about that...

As far as price drops, I watch regularly before final payment date (and typically don't look again after final payment)and have just called the Captain's club number and spoken with the rep who answers. I do see on the boards that some deal with a specific Celebrity vacation planner but I have not done so.

You are entitled to the price adjustment anytime prior to the final payment date even if you have paid in full. You should be able to receive credit on the same credit card that you used for payment. This happened to us on a Med Cruise and the refund for two of us was over $900. Which was credited to the credit card.

Having said this, if you booked w/ a travel agent, your travel agent must be the one to pursue this and ultimately process this for you.

I called Celebrity. I guess I'm going to be the most expensive traveler on that boat, in the class we are in!

It's our first time cruise, So I'm new at this. Another learning experience, ( just what I need at 73 years old).

I booked on May 31st, for a October 16th cruise. I see this was a big mistake.

Facts:

- dealt directly with Celebrity, not an agent

- it's a repositioning cruise, so no Cash On Board credits

- It's after the pay in full date

- I'm paying $200 per person more that I would pay today

I got a free upgrade from Concierge to Aqua something. I don't see a big difference. The first thing is we can't got to that lunch after boarding for Concierge class people.

Goodtime Cruzin,

What about trying to negotiate a perk or simply just an upgrade from classic to premium package for additional,crusiers you recrutted? Captains Club? Or regular Celebrity cruise rep? Everything booked thru celebrity not a TA.

With regards to negoiating, the only time I've heard that an item is negotiable is after the final due date. Occasionally the price will drop on specific cabins. For example, if one has an inside cabin and paid more for it than a veranda cabin (after a price drop has occurred). While you can't get a refund of the difference, you can request an upgrade to the veranda. In regards to the perks you've mentioned, I've never heard of it happening. Perhaps others have, but I don't believe so.

I called Celebrity. I guess I'm going to be the most expensive traveler on that boat, in the class we are in!

It's our first time cruise, So I'm new at this. Another learning experience, ( just what I need at 73 years old).

Facts:

I got a free upgrade from Concierge to Aqua something. I don't see a big difference. The first thing is we can't got to that lunch after boarding for Concierge class people.

It's AFTER the final due date. You can only get an upgrade which it appears that you have. I suggest that you research the Aqua Class as it does offer a few extra perks. Mainly... dining in Blu . I'm sure a few more of the veteran cruisers of Celebrity can assist you with this.

Note: If you reprice the cruise due to a price drop and you have perks on your original reservation, make sure that you are keeping your perks (or getting better ones) with the price drop. X reserves the right to reprice your trip at the current rate and perks if you request a price drop !!

Steve

IMHO an upgrade from Concierge to Aqua is great! The Concierge lunch (which was also extended to Elite+ on our cruise) was definitely forgettable. On the other hand, you'll get to eat in Blu for the entire trip, which is definitely a plus. Bon voyage!

Betsy

Facts:

Aqua is a big upgrade! Congrats! Don't worry about the CC lunch, not that big of a deal. Have a wonderful first cruise?

OP most expensive cruiser on your sailing? I doubt it, it may seem so to you, but not true, not true! The lesson learned here, if there is one, is how to just go ahead book a cruise at a price at which you are happy to book. If a better deal come along either you or your TA may call to find out about either a reduction or OBC or ??? Each situation is different and based on timing and value and etc..

Maybe a read of X's website and differences in cabin levels is in order to understand or accept if you received value or not in your new cabin assignment. You can always do a guaranteed cabin next time, if offered on your chosen sailing.

If you have purchased your airline tickets, if needed, to determine if that pricing has gone down? If so, what is the plan on getting the better price, if non-refundable?

Enjoy your cruise and X.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I loved this last price drop on the summit. I went from inside cabin to a veranda at no additional charge! We booked this 12 months out when we felt prices were low. Happened to catch when it was reduced. 3 hours later pricing was back up

We booked on May 31, 2016 for the six day repositioning cruise on the Summit. Leaving New Jersey on October 16th. The base price we paid was $799.

Somewhere on Celebrity's website I read that you are allowed one price reduction or re-faring before your final-payment due date if booked with them. I would assume the same courtesy would be extended to a TA.

I know it's different for UK cruisers but I never quite get this price drop thing. If you bought a plane ticket for example and the price dropped, you wouldn't expect to pay less? Or would you?

I think if you are happy with your price and cabin at the time of booking then you should be happy full stop. You got an upgrade for no extra $ which I think is great.

Sounds like a great price anyway IMO.

Enjoy your cruise.

I know it's different for UK cruisers but I never quite get this price drop thing. If you bought a plane ticket for example and the price dropped, you wouldn't expect to pay less? Or would you?

I think if you are happy with your price and cabin at the time of booking then you should be happy full stop. You got an upgrade for no extra $ which I think is great.

Enjoy your cruise.

It's different for UK cruisers who book in the UK.

It's not different for UK cruisers who book oin the US. ;) :)

Enjoy your cruise.

You are right...but as the cost of a cruise can be significant, the price drops can be large making it a bit different from the £150 drop we might see on a package holiday to Benidorm. :)

If I'd waited a month my 10 day cruise would have been £600 cheaper... :(

but then a month ago it would have been £300 more expensive.......

It just all seems a bit of a lottery

You are right...but as the cost of a cruise can be significant, the price drops can be large making it a bit different from the £150 drop we might see on a package holiday to Benidorm. :)

If I'd waited a month my 10 day cruise would have been £600 cheaper... :(

but then a month ago it would have been £300 more expensive.......

It just all seems a bit of a lottery

First of all understand that every cruise should be treated on it's own merits. Ignore those who make sweeping statements. But...

If you use a US TA that allows you to rebook under the new pricing before final payment day you can take advantage of these price drops. Just pay in full at the time to mitigate any exchange rate differences. Not that the pund can fall much lower against the dollar, I hope!

You will in all likelihood get better perks too.

We'll do this until UK travel agents modernise.

*** Occasionally better deals can be had with UK agents. Particularly when X offeres their buy one get one half price delas.

Today the price is down to $479 !