How Bad Have I Messed Up (Newbie)

lonely_pastry

I expected it to take a bit to go through immigration and get our bags but wasn't banking on 90minutes (i've travelled a fair bit and haven never waited 90min) but I've never been to Gatwick, so i'll plan for the worst.

I've had it take longer than an hour. Consider that when choosing your seats on the flight. Get as far to the front as you can and hopefully your bags will come quickly (if you do only carry-on you'll be ahead :p).

Our current flight arrives at Gatwick Monday (Sep19) at 1050 but if we change to the earlier flight we could arrive at 0925.

Change flights! Every minute counts in this situation.

Yes, we weren't planning on a traditional taxi but a private one that is waiting for you at the terminal. If you have any suggestions that would be great.

I will +1 the many suggestions you've receive to book transfer through the cruise line if they're available. As lovely as a private transfer would be, that gets you nothing in the eyes of the cruise line. If you take the cruise line transfer (as much as it's no fun to be on a bus with a bunch of other jet-lagged, sweaty people) you'll be much better off if you flight is late or you run into traffic. They'll be communicating with the ship and I've seen them hold the ship when the transfers are late. Personally, I would abandon the idea of a taxi and be all over the transfer option.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Hi Guys,

Taking my first cruise with my (future) wife for our Honeymoon in September. ==============================================

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I hope that things work well for your honeymoon trip. Whether or not the Cruise departure goes as well as you would have hoped, I wish you a long happy marriage. Whichever way the departure goes, I hope it makes for an interesting story you will still be telling grandchildren 50 or 60 years from now.

lonely_pastry

Another Welcome to Cruise Critic and I would like to commend you on your idea to take you new wife on a Cruise. A great way to start down life's highway together.

At this point I would like to provide some information to you to help you develop your Plan B just in case you do miss the ship.

Now, while you have time, research some hotels at the next port. Obtain a Point of contact phone number to take with you. And, determine if they are booked up for your time period or if they still show rooms available at this time.

Then have he phone numbers of all airlines that you would contact for two seats to the next port. Not fun to try and find these numbers on the run.

As soon as you determine that Mother Nature has acted against you and you will not be making the ship on time, contact RCI on their delayed phone number to report your status and inform them that you are making every effort to catch the ship at the next port. They will contact the ship to inform the staff that you will be late.

When you get everything settled, airplane and Hotel, contact RCI again to provide update.

When you make it to the ship and walk up to the security check point they will call down a ships officer to bring down your Sail Pass. Plus, they will inspect all of your luggage right there. They do not send it down to the ships X-Ray machine.

Once you are in your cabin you will receive a phone call from passengers service desk instructing you to report to the Life Boat Drill. You must attend because it is required that all passengers attend such drill.

Of course, I sure hope you will not have to activate Plan B, that you catch the ship on time and have a fantastic cruise.

Bob

I agree change flight and go with carry on luggage ONLY. If you can do a cruise line transfer get that as well.

If toy weren't in the cancellation penalty time, I would have suggested canceling then booking for the wrk after, hang around home a few days then fly out at least a day early for the rescheduled cruise.

Congrats, Good Luck, and be prepared for plan B and how to make up to your wife for this

If you do miss the ship, you fly to Spain not Gibraltar, as this would be much cheaper. There is a large airport near Gibraltar in Spain which should have more flights. I would also stay the night in Spain as you would have a much larger choice of accommodation than in Gibraltar and it would be cheaper.

OK, you can't switch to the previous day cos you're a bit busy then. ;)

(congrats, by the way)

Port website says Indy sails at 4.30, but I don't know the latest registration time.

I'm not as pessimistic as Donald about your chances if you stick to the booked flight. Chances are you'll make it - but it's a risk. And that could give you a few sleepless nights.

Since there's an earlier flight best to bite the bullet & switch, cos its a long swim to Gib.

Ship's transfer coaches will be available for that earlier flight time (but I'm pretty certain you have to pre-book). That's simplest, once you're on the coach any delays on the road are the cruise line's responsibility.

You're unlikely to have a long wait for a ship's transfer coach, as soon as one has trawled the terminals & filled it heads for Southampton & the next coach is drawn forward.

But I think RCI is one of the most expensive transfers (they certainly used to be) & will probably be as expensive as a private transfer for two.

For a private transfer, try http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.westquaycars.com or http://www.aquacars.co.uk.

When asking for a quote (guessing it'll be around £100 to £120) you could also ask their opinion on that booked flight time.

All three are based at the Southampton end, all have excellent reputations locally & smiths in particular are used by many many Cruise Critic members.

I've checked the train & bus schedules (no good for the late flight, but can save you money if you take the earlier one). There are direct services by both.

The National Express bus timetable doesn't suit - gives you little more than an hour from flight arrival time, & the next is too late.

But two of the hourly trains will get you to the ship in good time. The station is in Gatwick South terminal.

The walk-up fare is over £33 per person, but by buying in advance tickets for either the 11.09am or 12.09pm cost only £8.50 pp. Those advance tickets are valid only for the train that you book, so you could book the later one (gets to Southampton 2.02pm) to give yourselves a good time window for a late arrival or airport delay, or book both - you'd almost certainly be in time for the 11.09am & throw away the tickets for the 12.09.

Even if you buy tickets for both trains it's still waaaaay cheaper than ship's transfer coach or private transfer

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Add £6 for a taxi from Southampton Central station to Indy's berth.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

We second the advice to use the cruiseline air and transfers. That saved us when our flight was grounded at our home airport. And have all relevant phone numbers (RCI) with you, just in case.

Chances are there will be no problems at all.

Have a wonderful wedding, and a fabulous cruise.

We had to change flights because our cruise leaves at 4 and they told us we had to be on board at 2. Or checking in by 2. (They did admit it's really 2:30 but not allowed to tell people that because of flight delays and traffic jams). So you're best bet is ask your cruise line. Then try to buy airport transfers to port through your Cruise line. If it's too late for that(it was for us, by 5 min) then change your flight. Ours was to Florida and a new ticket was cheaper than change fee. Hope you succeed. Congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk