Possible Jade Refurb,dining and other ?'s

princesslondon

New to NCL and have so much to learn. I keep seeing various posts about a possible refurb/drydock on the Jade, we are doing the 4/9/17 cruise out of Tampa.

First, do we book our specialty dining before we go and if so, if they change during the dry dock, how will that work? Also, is there any entertainment to book beforehand?

Second, does Freestyle dining mean you just go whenever to whichever "formal" dining room you want to? Does that mean we won't have the same waiters or tables, it'll be like going to any local restaurant and we will be seated when there is a table?

Finally,(for now :), does the UDP include bottles of water to take back to the room?

Thanks so much!

I will try to answer your questions as best I can based on what I know or read...Jade dry dock is scheduled for March of 2017, before you're cruising on her...You can only make reservations for dining either 100 or 90 days out depending upon your accommodations...Suites can book at 100, everything else is at 90 days...Free style dining means you can eat whenever you want, wherever you want and yes you will have different tables and waiters/waitresses each time you go...For the most part it is just like any restaurant...The more formal of the 2 main dining rooms is usually located AFT, but know that "formal" is never mandatory on NCL...No shorts in the formal dining room and Le Bistro..I would suggest you make reservations for any/a;; dining before you get on the ship...UDP does not include bottles of water...

Have a great cruise, we're on the Jade this Jan of 2016 before they go to dry dock...Hope this was of some help...

Rob

The April 9 cruise is the first cruise after dry dock, according to the information I've seen here. That is not automatically a red flag, but be aware that NCL has botched the timing of a couple of recent refurbishments, forcing them to announce last-minute adjustments to the first scheduled cruise.

Even if everything goes according to plan, I would still expect some glitches in the reservations system for the first couple of cruises. However, this only applies to restaurants; the Jade does not have booked entertainment.

During the cruise, people commonly report some issues after dry dock, like workers are still on board finishing some areas, some venues are not open yet, the crew seem a little lost because they are also trying to get used to the changes (and there may be a higher turnover rate with lots of new crew members arriving during the dry dock). Just keep this all in the back of your mind so you are not completely taken by surprise when the time comes. Hopefully there will be nothing that will significantly impact your cruise, and any minor issues will hopefully made up for by the knowledge that you are the first to experience a freshly refurbished ship.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Thank you so much roboclam, great info and just what I was looking for!

Hawkeyetlse, thanks for the heads up! We are usually good about not letting things get in the way of vacation but it's great to have a heads up!

Any other tips or info are greatly appreciated!

Edited by princesslondon

• 2 weeks later...
New to NCL and have so much to learn. I keep seeing various posts about a possible refurb/drydock on the Jade, we are doing the 4/9/17 cruise out of Tampa. First, do we book our specialty dining before we go and if so, if they change during the dry dock, how will that work? Also, is there any entertainment to book beforehand? Second, does Freestyle dining mean you just go whenever to whichever "formal" dining room you want to? Does that mean we won't have the same waiters or tables, it'll be like going to any local restaurant and we will be seated when there is a table? Finally,(for now :), does the UDP include bottles of water to take back to the room? Thanks so much!

Being on the first cruise after a dry dock is always magical (we were on one in October). Brand new ship. Everything fresh and clean. You will be the first people to sleep in that new bed.

Highly encourage you to make your specialty dining reservations exactly 90 days before your cruise date (100 if you are in a suite) since prime time reservations will sell out. Teppanyaki and Cagney's are the most popular restaurants (Teppanyaki will set out really quickly).

All restaurants are just like at home, you show up and are seated at the first available table. You are unlikely to get the same waiter. There are two main dining rooms. The aft main dining room, Grand Pacific, and Le Bistro do not allow shorts at for dinner. Most people make an effort to dress up a little (not much) at night.

Here's a fun video from NCL on the most recent dry dock of the Dawn

• 2 weeks later...
Did they upgrade the suites on the other ships when they did the refurbs? I have the DOS on April 9th, 2017 and am really looking forward to a new fresh cabin.

The Jade is in dry dock in Feb 17 for 4 weeks.

We were on the Epic as it came out of dry dock last October in a 2 BR Havens.

Not sure what you mean by "upgrade"???

During the Epic dry dock, our cabin got new carpets, new sofas, new bed, new bedding, new pillows, new tile in bathroom, new curtains. They switch from Lavassa to Nupresso coffee. Some of the wood paneling and wall paper was old.

Epic_4.jpg

Epic_2.jpg

Epic_3.jpg