Rooms In The Front Of The Ship

hotshot99

We had cabins forward (Family Suite) on the CB a year age .The first few night very noisy. Sounded like cabin doors slamming all night. The cabin steward explained the noise was cuased by the rough seas and the speed of the ship.The rest of the cruise was great. We are now booked again in a similar location, so overall I would not be concerned, thought it is a hike to the back areas of the ship.

I just got off the Star three weeks ago and we had been booked in a guarantee cat. M (which means you get a bed if you help paint the ship... :) but thanks to persistance and a travel-agent mother, we were blessed by the Upgrade Fairy! We were upgraded to cat. PP... specifically, we had Plaza 202 and 204 which is on the fifth deck (lowest public deck) and the most forward you can get in guest staterooms. I LOVED IT cause we had a big picture window in our room and we were so close to the water, our window would get splashed in rough seas and because of where it was placed on the ship and the shape of the hull, there was almost like a windowseat above the bed that I would sit in and watch the water and read.

The only downside to this stateroom is that on the side of the ship we were on, we were right near the anchor! The dayy we stopped in Grand Cayman, I woke up at 7 am to what sounded like someone trying to come into the room via the hull! I figured out the noise was the anchor going down! But other than that, it wasn't bad. I rather enjoyed our room--but maybe it was the "upgrade fairy" that made me so happy! :)

My last cruise we had the last two cabins at the back. Our next cruise we're on Baja 2nd and 3rd cabins from the front. I do get a little sea sick but I'll take meds with me. The advantage is that you don't have people walking by your cabin (sometimes on the noisy side) on their way to their cabins. We had an opportunity to be moved to the centre of this deck, but it was by the elevators so my husband didn't want to change because he is a light sleeper and didn't want to be near the traffic.

We stayed in D109 on the Golden once and that was the only cruise that we felt a great deal of movement and the queasy stomachs. There was also an issue with the wind. It was quite strong there on the balcony! I think the thing that bothered us the most was the noise. There were quite a few kids in inside cabins across the hall from our room and there was a lot of commotion at night, but then again, it was spring break and that was to be expected. The cruise itself was actually great and we enjoyed it very much.

Linda

I was wondering the same thing. Next Saturday we are sailing on the Maasdam and have a room way in the front of the ship. There are no others like it. It is the only room that far foward, Probably because it is handicap room. I hope it is not to bad though with motion or anything else. I will be finding out in 8 days, haha. I will post about it when I return.:)

We were in the second from the front cabin on the Diamond last year, Emerald deck which should be 7 if I remember correctly. The seas were quite choppy and we really felt alot of movement. We vowed never to book a guarantee again and risk front of the ship cabins. I have always been prone to motion sickness and we discovered so is DH on ships.

I just got off the Regal, 10 day to Mexico.

It was my first cruise and we were in p 101. deck 5 as far forward as possible. It was a little bumpy up front at times but I sure miss it now. The ship did creak a little in rougher seas and the ancor rattled the walls at the ports.

I liked the fact that hallway was wider and shorter than everywhere else. The hallway was uncrowded except for the occasional crew member that used it to get to their cabin, but they were quiet.

My wife did fine with the patch. She got over confident and did not replace it when she should have, she is very motion sensative.

I would stay up front again although my wife is requesting a little further back next time.

Ask yourself this, how often are you in your cabin anyways?

My 02

I would stay away from any cabin that is in the front of the ship. Depending on the ship and just where the cabin is located, you might also have a problem when they lower the anchor. It seems that the front of the ship will really rock with high seas. And as far as the anchor, you will not need to set your alarm, you will certainly know when you are docking. Belle

We are booked on a 10 day Panama Canal Cruise in February and I am wondering if we booked too far forward. It was the last balcony left when I called to reserve, and we are celebrating our 30th and DH's 53rd birthday so we really wanted a balcony - so I took it. It looks like we are 4th from the rear of the front bump-out - closer to the the front end of Mid ship but with a bit better view? Anyone familiar with this area of the Coral? Did you experience alot of motion there?

I may want to call and see if I can get moved to the rear bump out if this moves alot. We sailed on the Norwegian Star a few years ago and while we loved cruising - my DH spent almost 2 of the 7 days with serious (I swear he turned green) motion sickness. He is opting for the patch this time - but still...

I appreciate any comments from someone familiar with this area of the Coral.

Thanks!

Joni

We are in the process of booking rooms in the VERY front of the ship. I've noticed there are very few up front, what's the deal? Any prior experiences?

Thanks....

Hotshot go to the top of this page under search this forum and put in Sapphire cabin 104. Tht should help you answer some of your questions.

Marilyn

Hotshot: for some reason what I told you about putting Sapphire cabin 104 is now not appeariang but this is what we found. We were upgraded to a suite on Baja Cabin 104 and it was very, very windy, could not use the balcony on sea days; in fact if you look at a deck plan you will see that 104 wraps around toward the front. The room steward locked the balcony door that wraps around the cabin. In port he would unlock it. The cabins on the very front of the ship did not even have balcony furniture. Just the glass door, so in my opinion I would not have those cabins.

Someone else asked about the Coral the 300 number. I think that would be o.k. as we are going to be in 400 on the Caribe next year and I looked at the deck plan and that is o.k.

Marilyn

Hi,

Has anyone stayed on the front rooms of the Grand on the Lido deck?? We have cabin 210 booked (3d from the front on the left side). We are taking the Grand on the Western Carribean cruise.

I'm very nervous because I do tend to feel the motion but we wanted a balcony really bad and this was the only way we could get one (upgrade). This is our anniversary cruise (8 yrs) so we decided to take it. I'm just praying that with the patch and the wristband I wont be sorry and won't spend the whole cruise sick.

Has anyone else had tried these rooms? Did you suffer from sea sickness? If so did you do okay with the meds?? Just hoping to get some reassurance :o.

jjnewboots

jjnewboots while I have not been on the Grand I am another person who gets seasickness. I have been a user of the patch for all of my cruises and have never gotten sick. But now each person is different but the patch never affected me. Some say that they cannot take the patch; my only problem with it is that I get a dry mouth but then I take another drink.;) The patch does different things to different people but I am telling you my story. I looked on the deck plan and there is a big space in front of the ship so you are not right up there in front of the ship like I was on the Sapphire. Anyway have a great cruise.

Marilyn

We were in Aloha 222 last spring on the Coral. Kind of fun watching the crew on the bridge only around 50' away. Minor downside - when underway you get some splash on the balcony. But you could see all the flying fish. Note that for the canal pasage go down to Baha and go through the crew-only door to the front balcony on the ship (our steward told us about this). Only around 30 people up there and a great view.

My wife and I just got off of the 10/22-10/29 sailing of CB Princess and had room B206 on Baja deck. I believe this is the second balcony room from the front on the port side of the ship. This was our fist time this far forward and we felt more movement than we have on any other cruise. However, neither of us got seasick. I didn't take any seasick medicine after the first day and my wife didn't take anything after the second day. (I always take something the first day just in case the seas are extremely rough. For me, once I get seasick it's too late for the medicine to do any good.) We didn't hear any strange noises at any time as some others have noted. The pros would be that there is almost no traffic, if you go to the shows, it's a few decks above the Princess Theater and a few decks below the Spa. The only negative we saw was the long walk back to the buffet in the mornings. However, with the amount you eat on a cruise, we felt a little extra walking could only be a good thing. Everything else we did was mid-ship, so we felt the savings was worth any inconvenience. You really need to consider the specific ship's layout and decide what's best for you and where you will be spending most of your time. Also, consider how prone you are to seasickness.

Archived