Newbie/Almost sold out/Is this cabin Ok ?

oceaniacruiserri

Hi, newbie here. We are considering Riviera, deck 7 Veranda cabin 7086. If I knew how I would attach the deck plan for you! This is the most midship they have available. Our last and only cruise my DH got sick the first night during extremely rough seas, but was fine the remainder of the 10 day cruise. Is this location Ok? our options are very limited at this point so if it's a bad location we won't go at all...

Thank you!

I have been in 7128 7135 7133 - all at the end of the hall on Riviera.

I like that location. It's quiet, you have passengers above you. You are not at the very end of the ship so you will probably be fine but it depends on the itinerary. We were on an Ocean Crossing from Istanbul to Miami. We had a bumpy ride and did not get sick and we were as far aft as you can get.

I will say that even after over 100 cruises, I still am the one that feels it if a ship starts to rock. I always get a prescription from my doctor for Compazine before I leave on a cruise. If the ship starts rocking I take the medication immediately, and then all is well. The most midship and lower down on the ship is the smoothest place to have your cabin.

As blambition says, the lower down and more midship you are, the smoother it will be but if the center of the ship is not available, your husband should be fine a little farther back. We have found that just back of midship is better than forward of midship -- there is less motion back there. It also depends on itinerary because some locations are always as smooth as glass and others are always rocky. You didn't say what part of the world you are cruising in but I know you will enjoy Oceania and the Riviera!

My sister and a friend just got back from their first cruise on Oceania, and have already booked a second one for 10 days in the Caribbean. My husband and I are looking forward to our first cruise on this line! I looked up where your cabin is located and I believe that you will be just fine in that location. I hope you both have a wonderful vacation!

It's a go!!!!

Good call! 7086 is the first stateroom immediately after the group of rooms that is priced higher because they are absolute mid-ship. You're not high on the ship so the motion ought to be minimized.

Some suggestions: If you're having an at sea day and you encounter rough seas, don't stay in your stateroom. Go down at least one deck and sit in the chairs in the lounges to read and socialize. The lower you go, the less you'll feel the motion. You won't be obligated to buy any liquor; liquor isn't recommended anyway. Also, when you want to eat, consider eating in the main dining room rather than the Terrace or Waves. It may be more elaborate than you're used to for lunch, but it is lower in the ship. Just ask for a table away from the window or ask the maitre d' to close the curtains near your table.

Good call! 7086 is the first stateroom immediately after the group of rooms that is priced higher because they are absolute mid-ship. You're not high on the ship so the motion ought to be minimized.

Some suggestions: If you're having an at sea day and you encounter rough seas, don't stay in your stateroom. Go down at least one deck and sit in the chairs in the lounges to read and socialize. The lower you go, the less you'll feel the motion. You won't be obligated to buy any liquor; liquor isn't recommended anyway. Also, when you want to eat, consider eating in the main dining room rather than the Terrace or Waves. It may be more elaborate than you're used to for lunch, but it is lower in the ship. Just ask for a table away from the window or ask the maitre d' to close the curtains near your table.

Sit in a lounge and read when you may feel uneasy? Get away from a window in rough seas?

Two bits of very bad advice.

The best thing you can do when seas are rough (or even not), and you feel uneasy, is to be someplace where you can look at the horizon. For most people, syncing your inner ear motion to your visual stimuli works wonders to ease the onset of seasickness.

Sit in a lounge and read when you may feel uneasy? Get away from a window in rough seas?

The best thing you can do when seas are rough (or even not), and you feel uneasy, is to be someplace where you can look at the horizon. For most people, syncing your inner ear motion to your visual stimuli works wonders to ease the onset of seasickness.

I agree, this works for me.

I know looking at the horizon is the standard advice, but eating a meal presents unique challenges; I've found that the standard rules simply don't apply to me and potentially to others.

When I eat, my eyes are not focused on the horizon. They're primarily focused on the plate and my companions at the the meal. Therefore, if I'm near a window where I can see the waves ebbing and swelling out of my peripheral vision, there's a disconnect between the stability of the scene in my primary vision and the movement in my periphery. Those competing visual cues are a trigger for discomfort. If, however, I eat low down on the ship, typically the MDR, and avoid looking out the windows, I'm usually fine.

My reading advice is in the same vein. When reading on my veranda, the print on the page is fixed but my eyes catch the peripheral water motion. Looking up and focusing on the horizon is not enough to overcome the contradictory visual cues. However, when I stay inside, mid-ship, on a lower deck, I can read with no problem. I'm not content to simply stare at the horizon for long stretches of time so while that option may work for some, I wanted to find a different approach.

Having read my explanation, you've probably noticed that we're each focusing on different parts of the body. You're recommending syncing one's inner ear to visual stimuli. I'm focusing on reducing competing visual cues. It may be as simple as the differences among people; I'm a strongly visual person and my coping method takes this into account. Simply, my approach works for me, and so I've shared it. You've raised your objections and now the OP has two approaches to consider.

Incidentally, I recently bought a variety of candy by the GinGen people that was more intensely ginger than their other products. The hard sucking candy in the golden-tan box or plastic bag of the same color has double strength ginger. None of the other products, however, tasty, has as much ginger. I have no plans to sail, but I simply like the taste of ginger so more is more appealing to me.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

The best thing you can do when seas are rough (or even not), and you feel uneasy, is to be someplace where you can look at the horizon..

This does not work for me it just makes me more sick

I am better off on a lower deck & not seeing the waves wash the windows

YMMV

Talk about the power of suggestion ...

Here I am sitting safely on land in front of my computer and reading about all the problems of sea travel in rough weather and I immediately became a bit queasy ...

If I stop reading this thread maybe I'll feel better. ;)

Mura

• 1 month later...
Hi, newbie here. We are considering Riviera, deck 7 Veranda cabin 7086. If I knew how I would attach the deck plan for you! This is the most midship they have available. Our last and only cruise my DH got sick the first night during extremely rough seas, but was fine the remainder of the 10 day cruise. Is this location Ok? our options are very limited at this point so if it's a bad location we won't go at all...

Thank you!

The lower levels of any ship have less movement and mid-ships is the best location.

We started out on deck 3 on Nautica and never felt movement at all. I can't recall deckplan of Riviera, higher deck levels are more expensive and definetely have more movement. Go with what logic tells you and possible sea sickness

Looking at the horizon go up and down will definitely make me sick, unless I am out on deck in the fresh air. I am one of the few people who actually prefer an inside cabin, much less rocking that in the balcony cabins, where I have to sit facing away from the windows or keep the curtains closed anyway. OK if I am actually out on the balcony but never inside.

In the dining room, I always ask to sit facing the front of the ship and also request a cabin where I am sleeping facing forward.

I take dramamine before getting on the ship, no matter what kind of day it is, then take it occasionally depending on the seas. Also have scopolamine and Pfenergin (read that the astronauts take it for motion sickness). Even going around Cape Horn in 30 ft. seas on a 100 passenger ship, I did fine. Made the mistake of taking the scopolamine patch off when I got home and got very "land sick." Now if I use scopolamine, I let the patch wear down over a few days.

Mary

The lower levels of any ship have less movement and mid-ships is the best location.

We started out on deck 3 on Nautica and never felt movement at all. I can't recall deckplan of Riviera, higher deck levels are more expensive and definetely have more movement. Go with what logic tells you and possible sea sickness

The lowest passenger cabin deck is deck 7 on the O class ships