Frustrated with Letter just received from Carnival

QTPieRye

It amazes me how much gets assumed when you don't post step by step details of how things occurred....

Based off some of your responses, I get the feeling that some of you have NO friends and are literally just cyber bullies! I did NOT invite my bff to join me with her 2 young children... for those of you that have a difficult time understanding... once again, I was booked, she was diagnosed with a horrible brain issue and debilitating disease. During a conversation, she mentioned how lucky I was to get to travel, relax and spend quality time with my family, so I suggested she join me to get away. Originally, her hubby was going to watch the girls; however, he will be travelling that week.... so we discussed bringing them along. During that discussion, I raved about Camp Carnival, and explained that she could have the best of both worlds on a cruise. Relax, lounge by the pool during the day while girls were checked into camp and spend quality time with them during other times. Given her health situation and upcoming brain surgery, for obvious reasons she wants to spend quality time with them and yet have some downtime to relax. Is this really that difficult for some of you to understand????

It amazes me that people decide to have a horrible time on their cruise and to ruin it for everyone sailing with them before they even set foot on the ship! Others have reported in this thread and else where getting the same letter. All that has changed is the LOCATION of Camp. You are WAY WAY WAY over reacting to a minor change.

I am sorry to hear that your friend has severe health issues but that is all 100% irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Do yourself (and all the kids) a big favor and stop with the massive negativity.

Op..We are on the cruise after yours. We just received this letter today. I couldn't copy and paste it so I re-typed it without the individuals names. I'm not sure if your letter is the same, but ours states that they will have the Night Owls programming. Hope this helps ease your mind. If not I would give Carnival a call. I hope you all have a wonderful cruise. You are getting some great advice here.

"August 19, 2016

Hi there!

Were sure you must be really excited about your cruise. So we'd like to take a moment to share with you some information.

We'd like to let you know that Camp Carnival will be getting a makeover in the next few weeks. This means the camp area will not be open for your sailing, but the programming will be almost identical to our usual Camp Carnival schedule of events. So, no worries, the FUN will be in full FUN force.

During your cruise we will be operating a slightly modified schedule for Camp Carnival and activities will take place in various areas throughout the ship. Full details will be available in the Activities Schedule onboard.

Our teams has lots of FUN stuff planned for both you AND your kids! Here's a little of what they can expect:

-Camp Carnival has tons of activities designed for the younger kids in 3 different age groups (2 to 5, 6 to 8 and, 9 to 11 years.) We promise to ensure the highest quality of entertainment and care for the kiddos. They'll enjoy games, arts and crafts, movies, lots of face painting, themed dance parties, and our Night Owls programming and much more!

For the safety of the kids, all doors have alarms and staff will closely monitor the floor, especiallly for the 2-5 age group. Team member in the 2-5 age group room will engage and entertain the children, as well as provide any assistance necessary.

Your youth director, ****** ******, is really looking forward to meeting all the kids on registration day. Once onboard, check you FunTimes for hours and location.

So are you ready for a week of FUN? We sure can't wait to welcome you aboard! The entire Miracle team will do everything possible to make this a fun and memorable experience for the entire family.

Sincerely,

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers"

Thanks for writing out the letter.

I don't see what the problem is. The camp is still going on, but in another location. On all of our cruises, I've seen the younger campers in other locations, such as the disco.

Sorry OP. I and many others on this thread seem to think you are making a mountain out of mole hill. This is just a little inconvenience.

To the person who asked why they didn't do any updates during drydock - Painting, carpeting (if this is what they are doing) and general maintenance is usually done during the cruise. One time on the Miracle, they were working on the wood railings in the Serenity and elsewhere on the ship. The areas were blocked off for half a day.

Op..We are on the cruise after yours. We just received this letter today. I couldn't copy and paste it so I re-typed it without the individuals names. I'm not sure if your letter is the same, but ours states that they will have the Night Owls programming. Hope this helps ease your mind. If not I would give Carnival a call. I hope you all have a wonderful cruise. You are getting some great advice here.

"August 19, 2016

Hi there!

Were sure you must be really excited about your cruise. So we'd like to take a moment to share with you some information.

We'd like to let you know that Camp Carnival will be getting a makeover in the next few weeks. This means the camp area will not be open for your sailing, but the programming will be almost identical to our usual Camp Carnival schedule of events. So, no worries, the FUN will be in full FUN force.

During your cruise we will be operating a slightly modified schedule for Camp Carnival and activities will take place in various areas throughout the ship. Full details will be available in the Activities Schedule onboard.

Our teams has lots of FUN stuff planned for both you AND your kids! Here's a little of what they can expect:

-Camp Carnival has tons of activities designed for the younger kids in 3 different age groups (2 to 5, 6 to 8 and, 9 to 11 years.) We promise to ensure the highest quality of entertainment and care for the kiddos. They'll enjoy games, arts and crafts, movies, lots of face painting, themed dance parties, and our Night Owls programming and much more!

For the safety of the kids, all doors have alarms and staff will closely monitor the floor, especiallly for the 2-5 age group. Team member in the 2-5 age group room will engage and entertain the children, as well as provide any assistance necessary.

Your youth director, ****** ******, is really looking forward to meeting all the kids on registration day. Once onboard, check you FunTimes for hours and location.

So are you ready for a week of FUN? We sure can't wait to welcome you aboard! The entire Miracle team will do everything possible to make this a fun and memorable experience for the entire family.

Sincerely,

Sr. Director, Guest Services - Contact Centers"

You are so kind to type the whole thing out! Wow! Yes it looks as though they will just move all the crayons and other craft supplies and everything else over to a conference room or unused lounge area. The camp carnival staff is so good with the kids, they really engage them, so they don't even need much in the way of supplies for a 6 and 9 year old.

I only have 2 things to add, so already too much has been said on the subject.

1) Try to think of your friend first. Obviously, she wants her kids with her on the cruise or she would have made other arrangements to take care of them while she was gone. After all, didn't you invite her along to make her feel good?

and 2) Sarah (sjn911), you are wearing out your ...... key again. (though I agree, it was very heartfelt)

Agree with 1) and as far as 2) goes, sjn911 I cannot read your posts due to the ellipses overuse. I try to get through them but it's impossible. Maybe you can use periods and spaces and make it easier for people to read what you have to say. Then again, maybe you are just posting for yourself. Who knows.

Edited by Seago2

It amazes me that people decide to have a horrible time on their cruise and to ruin it for everyone sailing with them before they even set foot on the ship! Others have reported in this thread and else where getting the same letter. All that has changed is the LOCATION of Camp. You are WAY WAY WAY over reacting to a minor change.

I am sorry to hear that your friend has severe health issues but that is all 100% irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Do yourself (and all the kids) a big favor and stop with the massive negativity.

Agreed!

Seems to me like the OP is more worried about herself and all of the adults having a good time, which heaven forbid may be a touch infringed upon because camp has been moved. The moment the friend let you know that her young children would be coming is when you should have oriented your mindset that this will NOT be a girls getaway but a family cruise.

Please know that even kids who love camp (as mine do) don't opt to be there the entire day and night. No matter what ship you are on, there will be slides and the arcade and a huge chess game....mini golf, the hasbro game show, and a ton of other things they may want to do. Why you think they should be banquished to camp and freaking out at the slight idea that they may not be is selfish on your part.

You act like you can't enjoy a cruise with small kids. If you feel that way then perhaps you should have discussed doing something else with your friend. They are coming and that's that.

You accused others of assuming alot without knowing the details yet you are guilty of the same thing. This letter is simply informing you of a location change for camp. Ideally of course you want camp itself to run as you thought, but this adjustment should be easy to make. Yet you've already concluded this will be horrible. That your young adult daughters are not going to be stuck watching the kids. That travelling with small kids is horrible. I mean really. And no I'm not mean or any of the other things you and others have called people that haven't just flat out sympathized with you. Just saying that your heart is in the right place but your attitude towards your friend's kid ain't.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sometimes I am too sensitive , too much , too many words...but thanks and mean well...never have I lasted out a place like this..this long..good for the skin thickening...one does end up with a way to say one's opinion..short, long, divisive or otherwise...and I have "done my time here".

And we do give each other a head's up...needed or not...short or long..nature of the place..thank you and thank you. LOL, I just got it the "..." along with the long winded. Guilty; bad pain day here and should have tightened it up.

Hope you feel better soon! You are one of the nicest people on CC, and I look forward to reading your posts, ...s and all :)

They will have a different venue - still safe and still fun for the kids, with loads of activities to keep them happy. Since it is their first cruise, they won't even know the difference! All will be well!!

That's fantastic! I knew Carnival would be as accommodating as possible!!! I'm so glad for you and enjoy your cruise :)

I totally understand. Of course it's just circumstantial that Carnival is making the change right now, but you booked with certain understandings, and now it's changed.

That happened to me once. I booked a cruise with the understanding (from Carnival) that xxxx was SCHEDULED to be the piano bar player, xxxx was SCHEDULED to be the maitre'd , xxxx was SCHEDULED to be the CD, all of whom I was very excited about.

Like with you, before our sailing the maitre'd and CD were both changed. It's not a deal breaker, and not going to prevent a fun time but yes it's frustrating. Funny thing though, the replacement CD ended up being my very favorite to date. :) Good luck and have fun.

I totally understand. Of course it's just circumstantial that Carnival is making the change right now, but you booked with certain understandings, and now it's changed.

That happened to me once. I booked a cruise with the understanding (from Carnival) that xxxx was SCHEDULED to be the piano bar player, xxxx was SCHEDULED to be the maitre'd , xxxx was SCHEDULED to be the CD, all of whom I was very excited about.

Like with you, before our sailing the maitre'd and CD were both changed. It's not a deal breaker, and not going to prevent a fun time but yes it's frustrating. Funny thing though, the replacement CD ended up being my very favorite to date. :) Good luck and have fun.

A poor comparison at best. Your three crew members changed completely. Her kids just id being held at a different location on the ship. <sarcasm>My God that is the most horrible thing I have ever heard of happening on a cruise. I think she should get a 100% refund, a 100% credit for a future cruise, and unlimited dining in the steak house, shore excursions, and drinks on both cruises. After all it is just fair!</sarcasm>

Hope you feel better soon! You are one of the nicest people on CC, and I look forward to reading your posts, ...s and all :)

You really made my weekend...

And several others yesterday and Friday...too much to post to all and say thanks..but thanks...you all know who you are...little back pats very appreciated...by so many past couple of days.:)

Edited by sjn911

WoW!!! This is one of the most Heartfelt and best post I have seen in my almost 2 years on CC. This post actually reminded me that there are still decent people on CC.

Michael

Sarah is the real deal and a value add here, without a doubt. We won't hold it against her that she is from Montana (which actually is a pretty nice place).

I am so frustrated with Carnival right now! I am cruising on the Miracle in 14 days with my 2 daughters (young adults) and my best friend with her 2 young daughters (ages 4 & 6). After 20 years of me begging her to go on a cruise, I finally convinced her to go after bragging about how much fun her girls will have at Camp Carnival, etc. ........

This morning I woke up to a letter from Guest Services advising me that "Camp Carnival will be getting a makeover during the next few weeks. This means that camp area will not be open during your sailing, but the programming will still be in the full FUN force."

SERIOUSLY, RIGHT NOW?!?!?! I am pretty sure this makeover wasn't just decided 2 weeks before cruising! GURRRRR

Yes right now and they are only doing it because you are going to be the cruise!!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A poor comparison at best. Your three crew members changed completely. Her kids just id being held at a different location on the ship. <sarcasm>My God that is the most horrible thing I have ever heard of happening on a cruise. I think she should get a 100% refund, a 100% credit for a future cruise, and unlimited dining in the steak house, shore excursions, and drinks on both cruises. After all it is just fair!</sarcasm>

Sure and if Carnival decided to move camp carnival(while it is getting it's makeover) to the serenity area for camp carnival you and everyone else on this thread that criticized her and caller her a complainer would be all over this board complaining 'how could Carnival do this to us?, how can they put those bratty kids in our adult only area, don't they know who we are".. To funny Much hypocrisy on this board. Have a great trip OP and hope the best for your friend.

Sarah is the real deal and a value add here, without a doubt. We won't hold it against her that she is from Montana (which actually is a pretty nice place).

Yep,

She taught me what 'alpenglow' is, many years ago, in the basement.

Just takes a while to figure out her writing style. Once you do, it's a very good read.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sure and if Carnival decided to move camp carnival(while it is getting it's makeover) to the serenity area for camp carnival you and everyone else on this thread that criticized her and caller her a complainer would be all over this board complaining 'how could Carnival do this to us?, how can they put those bratty kids in our adult only area, don't they know who we are".. To funny Much hypocrisy on this board. Have a great trip OP and hope the best for your friend.

How is having to drop the kids off at a slightly different location the same as losing the only daytime adult area on th ship?

Obviously, if Carnival put kids in an adults only area on purpose, that'd be ridiculous. But they have other spaces to use and Camp Carnival isn't cancelled, per the note. Of course, there's no guarantee the kids will like it and want to be there. But that has nothing to do with Carnival remodeling the room.

Just like I wouldn't complain if my dinner was moved to another dining room but if I had to dine nightly in the galley, it might be an issue.

LOL.....Alpenglow..I really do not want to see it for a few months.

I am praying that I get outside, on the water, Montana water, in September with my crazy dad and really get the lowdown on his new mule at 82.

The cruise water even in a little boat may be this summer if the boat is in. I am calling the man today who may or may not stay there for me to help get the boat stored. We were the camp to get a cabin family. Not the cruise family. So of course we all grow and find something else we love.

Thank you friends, and I should work on my writing style but the more complicated the more interesting right?? I would love to get dad on a cruise because he likes to dance and I think he would be a hit and have a different kind of fun with me..without mom sadly... and have a kosher way to go. We all watch a movie and he leans over to me and says..."now is when I would like to go dancing." Age 81.

I hope OP has her vacation solved and a wonderful time.

Edited by sjn911

I agree, camp will just be in different rooms, I am sure it's not a big deal. But, an FYI you your friend, none of my kids liked camp (13, 10, 7), so they never went after the first night meet and greet. We just found other things to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF they had decided to hod a lottery and the person chosen were to be thrown over board then people would complain as well. You can IF all you want. The fact is the change made is entirely immaterial and very minor, and as such the OP is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY over reacting to something that is a complete non-issue.

My kids didn't like camp either and did not go. Also, I am concerned that your friend is going out of the country and on a cruise with 2 small kids and a debilitating brain issue. I am worried that you and your daughters may be reluctant to step in, it sounds like she may really need the help and support, even if you originally wanted to relax

LOL.....Alpenglow..I really do not want to see it for a few months.

I am praying that I get outside, on the water, Montana water, in September with my crazy dad and really get the lowdown on his new mule at 82.

The cruise water even in a little boat may be this summer if the boat is in. I am calling the man today who may or may not stay there for me to help get the boat stored. We were the camp to get a cabin family. Not the cruise family. So of course we all grow and find something else we love.

Thank you friends, and I should work on my writing style but the more complicated the more interesting right?? I would love to get dad on a cruise because he likes to dance and I think he would be a hit and have a different kind of fun with me..without mom sadly... and have a kosher way to go. We all watch a movie and he leans over to me and says..."now is when I would like to go dancing." Age 81.

I hope OP has her vacation solved and a wonderful time.

He'd have a great time. We talked my mom into cruising with us. My aunt came along to keep her company. We upgraded them to the balcony cabin next to ours, and we all had a wonderful time :).

Edited by VASOXFANN

She sure seems like a sweet person. I just can never follow her writing, so I rarely respond to her posts. I can tell enough to know that she always tries and see the bright side of things, which is a great way to be.

Silly example. No one area is being interrupted to accommodate the camp - other than the camp. But to your point, if the Serenity area was moved to allow for a makeover, like camp, I would hope people wouldn't decide the whole trip will be ruined. I definitely wouldn't be "frustrated" before the trip even started.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My kids didn't like camp either and did not go. Also, I am concerned that your friend is going out of the country and on a cruise with 2 small kids and a debilitating brain issue. I am worried that you and your daughters may be reluctant to step in, it sounds like she may really need the help and support, even if you originally wanted to relax

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing all along... Maybe the BFF isn't going to be up to a lot of late night partying? Maybe she just wants to hang out with her kids or lay by the pool and go to bed early? Or is that just me, lol? Hopefully they like the camp, OP, but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope that the 6 year old is going to be there all the time. My kids didn't start staying there all the time until they were about ten.

The beauty of a cruise is that the OP and the BFF and the older girls and the younger kids can spend as much or as little time together as they want, except of course for the two nights the older girls will be watching the little ones. So if BFF wants to hang with her kids, isn't feeling well, has obligations to her kids, etc, it shouldn't impact the level of fun the OP is having. She just might need to go clubbing with her own kids or alone.

I've got five kids, the youngest of whom is now 18. I can't say enough about Carnival's programming. It's excellent and it has nothing to do with actually being situated in the camp carnival/02 rooms. I've sailed more expensive cruises but the carnival programming is the best IMHO.