What is the Priority Check-In Lounge like?

IMKTDQT810

Well, I think the answer likely depends on what port you're sailing from and (if there are multiple terminals that CCL uses at that port) what terminal. I've seen anywhere from just a few chairs close to the check-in agents to a separate room with nice padded chairs and couches. I'm sure others here will be able to give specific info if they know what port you're sailing from.

I just got off the Carnival Pride in Baltimore on 14 August. I have been in some third world airport terminals that looked similar. It is a large warehouse divided into three main areas: EMBARCATION AREA: ticket counters with seating area after getting checked in (long rows of basic type chairs), CUSTOMS/ DEBARCATION AREA: luggage claim area; and PRIORITY LOUNGE AREA: four long rows of basic type chairs, three facing one direction for priority loading and a row facing the opposite direction for wedding parties. The only advantage to being in the lounge is the entertainment- you get to watch the people (getting off the Pride) leaving the terminal after claiming their luggage.

Thanks for the info so far.

I guess I'm kinda nosey about Ft. Lauderdale, since that will be our next port we sail from. I have no idea how many terminals they use. I'll be on the Splendor, if that makes any difference. Thanks again!

What difference does it make? The lounge is just an area where you sit while waiting to board. Surely, you don't need the lounge to be your idea of "special." They have chairs. Do you need anything else?

Long Beach's VIP lounge is small. About 30 seats max. It is really a waiting area to be called to the desk. After you are checked in, you sit outside on a planter and wait to board.

I honestly can't remember which one it was (DH says NOLA) but it was definitely different from the main waiting area.

A large room with tables set up with pastries and coffee. A separate check in desk. Sofas and upholstered arm chairs. Much more comfortable than the main area.

Others have not left an impression so probably nothing to write about.:p

Last time we sailed from Lauderdale (first time we would have been able to go in there) we were with others that could not.

Will have to start paying better attention. Maybe take the camera out BEFORE we start walking on the ship.

Don't laugh....I've only been on two Carnival Cruises with my third booked for 2017. But I was just wondering what it's like. Sure, I want to dream BIG! Thanks

I've been in a lot of different priority check-in areas. They are nothing special. I've seen everything from tiny crowded rooms with folding chairs to large rooms with furniture. There is usually a table with cookies and water and coffee. You sit down and wait for them to call your name and then they check you in. From there you usually exit that area and go wait in that huge holding area with everyone else, but just in a separate section of priority passengers.

IMO its not anything to get excited about.

I just got off the Carnival Pride in Baltimore on 14 August. I have been in some third world airport terminals that looked similar. It is a large warehouse divided into three main areas: EMBARCATION AREA: ticket counters with seating area after getting checked in (long rows of basic type chairs), CUSTOMS/ DEBARCATION AREA: luggage claim area; and PRIORITY LOUNGE AREA: four long rows of basic type chairs, three facing one direction for priority loading and a row facing the opposite direction for wedding parties. The only advantage to being in the lounge is the entertainment- you get to watch the people (getting off the Pride) leaving the terminal after claiming their luggage.

Did they get rid of the separate check-in area for Priority boarding? We just cruised in October and it was still there. There were a couple plush couches and chairs and beverages (water, lemonade, juices) and we hung out there while they checked us in. We got there later in the day and didn't have to wait to board.

I'll add my 2 cents.

Port Canaveral has a nice VIP lounge with comfortable furniture.

Miami has an okay lounge with just plan chairs after get checked in.

New Orleans has really improved their lounge, it's larger and you are called up to the desk by name, but then go out to the big seating area to the roped off VIP area.

Galveston is my homeport and favorite the lounge and waiting area is completely separate, has 3 agents and comfortable seating.

In Baltimore it's a room on the far right end of the cruise terminal. There are some couches and chairs in there along with two desks for the very nice ladies who check you in. You will be offered some type of refreshment while they get you checked in and issue your sign and sail cards. I'm not sure if you can hang out in there until it's time to board...we were allowed to board as soon as we were checked in. We got there fairly early and the longest wait was in the security line even though there is a separate line for Priority Guests in Security as well. But that only helps so much because they are running everyone thru the same metal detectors, so it just gets you a smaller line to wait in (BTW, what really slows things down is the alco-****s checking all your bottles...and they're not particularly bright: we brought a bottle of Silver Oak for a special meal and the security gal didn't recognize it because it wasn't white zin or muscato and wasn't going to allow it!). The lounge probably makes a huge difference later in the day when the check in lines are 25-30 deep.

Yes, it is a regular waiting area with less people... Not like the crown lounge at airports... Just a waiting area with water (sometimes pastries)... Nothing special as nobody really cares, you just want to get onboard as soon as possible! If your dreaming, I would dream MUCH BIGGER than the priority lounge!! Lol

Edited by poz222
Added

The older Miami VIP room was nice with sofas and easy chairs. It got crowded there after FTTF started and more cruisers achieved platinum status.

The newer, larger MIA VIP is more functional with regular chairs.

The VIP room in FLL was a joke, felt like an inner city class room. Hopefully that gets updated soon.

The VIP wait lounges are simply holding areas, nothing special.

Ive been to priority lounges in 5 different cities Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Port Canaveral Galveston and San Juan. They are all different but generally the same idea. There was one that was pretty cool with sofas and refreshments available while you waited. Can't remember where that was though, they all start to blur together.

But generally, they are nothing spectacular like you were probably imagining. Like everyone else said, just a separate regular waiting area.

Now that I think about it, Carnival can totally improve on this.

Like most of the posters I agree that they are nothing special, just a different area.

With that said, The nicest one I have been in was Galveston. Nice chairs and sofas, plenty of room for the passengers, and a variety of snacks and refreshments for those who were waiting for our cruise.

Don't laugh....I've only been on two Carnival Cruises with my third booked for 2017. But I was just wondering what it's like. Sure, I want to dream BIG! Thanks

Every Carnival priority check in we've sat in is nothing to write home about. Just people sitting in chairs waiting to be called to board. People with carry on's stumbling, people tripping on the person in front of you and their suitcase because they decide to stop dead in front of you to adjust the crap they have hanging off their shoulder. No beverages served like water, coffee or tea. Or little packages of nuts, pretzels, or pastries like Princess does.:rolleyes:

Every Carnival priority check in we've sat in is nothing to write home about. Just people sitting in chairs waiting to be called to board. People with carry on's stumbling, people tripping on the person in front of you and their suitcase because they decide to stop dead in front of you to adjust the crap they have hanging off their shoulder. No beverages served like water, coffee or tea. Or little packages of nuts, pretzels, or pastries like Princess does.:rolleyes:

Did you even read the other posts? I would assume not.

And I am sure that all people that travel on Princess are as perfect as you. :rolleyes:

My one question is: What do they do before boarding since they are obviously not sitting in chairs waiting?

I don't understand what your point is in taking even the smallest opportunity to say something derogatory about Carnival. And even not being a suite dweller or platinum/diamond, I know for fact that your assessment is wrong. In every port I've been to I've seen light refreshments, snacks. Also water and in Ft. Lauderdale I saw lemonade two years ago when we sailed out of there. The place is designed for people to SIT and wait to board. Same thing anyone does when waiting to board the ship. What exactly is so vastly different in the Princess priority lounge since they don't sit and wait, their snacks are superior, and somehow every Princess passenger for whatever reason never needs to adjust their luggage or even have luggage with them? I'm guessing the experience is so contrary to Carnival, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned Princess. Please do tell the OP. Maybe she's dreaming big dreams of the wrong priority lounge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Our experience is in LA. Long Beach (Carnival) has water, lemonade and cookies. San Pedro (Princess) does have as you said, but they put out so few pastries that, by the time we get there, only crumbs are left.

Both places we've tripped over "the person in front of you and their suitcase because they decide to stop dead in front of you to adjust the crap they have hanging off their shoulder."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We booked a suite on the Paradise and were directed to the priority lounge. Absolutely nothing special about it though. I think it had some light refreshments, but mainly just a separate area to wait.

I do remember as they walked us in by the crowd when time to board some guy pointed at us and said why do they get to board first and I said book a suite. I felt like that came off as snarky, but I really only meant it for informational purposes.

• 1 year later...

In Jacksonville on the Elation last month I really enjoyed the priority lounge check in. Someone guided me directly to a room with no wait and took my boarding pass and passports and invited us to sit on a couch. There were both drinks and snacks. We sat on the couch until called and the only thing they had to do was take our pictures and hand us our cards. We were then guided to the priority waiting area and about fifteen minutes later invited to board. That perk alone was not something I would get a suite for, but we very much enjoyed the difference.