Okay, so what's the best thing you've eaten on a Carnival cruise... and the worst?

jeepers13

Thank you for this tip Sadie! Do I ask the waiter or the maître d' and do they have a menu? We will definitely do this on our next sailing.

Treat it like any other special dining order. Be very specific, do not say you want meat Indian. That'll get you the regular meal (Voice of experience)

If you want the Non-Vegetarian the first night, see the hostess when the MDR is accepting changes. We don't wait in the MD line because we're not changing our dining assignment.

For the other nights see the hostess for the next night. Sometimes you'll order with the waiters.

The hostess will have the whole cruise menu. If you know the Indian names your good. If not, it's always a surprise. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Best: short ribs and "pot roast in gravy" with mashed taters on the side at Lido buffet lunch. I don't even LIKE pot roast and I just lick the plate....and have never had a spare rib in my life but LOVE the short ribs on elegant night. I think CCL makes the BEST gravy. Worst: there are some things I don't like, but I can't think of anything that stands out. I am not a fan of the fries at Guy's Burger. I like "regular fries", not seasoned, and wish they offered them both ways. On Liberty I would run up to Fish and Chips and get a basket of fries, then order a Guys burger! Fun thread! :D

Edited by Crusin Karen

Just got off the Inspiration...

Loved the Beet Carapacio appetizer...

And spring rolls were yummy too

Loved both Guys Burgers and Blue Iquana.

The Beef tenderloin the last night was as good as I've Had anywhere.

Didn't like the Sea bass.....yuck.

And not a fan of the melting cake.. mine had melted too much and was like uncooked cake batter.

And not a fan of the melting cake.. mine had melted too much and was like uncooked cake batter.

It is uncooked cake

Lava cake takes 14 minutes

Cupcakes take 20 minutes

For me Its the Mushroom soup appetizer, its the first thing I look for on MDR menu....

Worst would be a the baked Cornish hen ( at least thats what I think it was) it was 'gamey" tasting to me, kind of like wild quail, it just was not for me. It left such a lasting impression on me, that I have not ordered chicken since, unless its chicken fettucini.

Never have had a worst, some things aren't as good as others. but that's what is so fun, if you don't like it, don't eat it doesn't cost you a thing. plenty of other things to try. We love the MDR for breakfast and brunch. Wife loves filet mignon with mac and cheese for her brunch. I love the baked salmon and the best part is you can get that any night. oh and Guy's how can you go wrong with a good ole American burger with all the fixings and hand cut fries. great now I'm hungry. :):)

Can preorder a Non-Vegetarian Indian meal the night before. There are many, many dishes on there. One of the proteins gets exchanged for a meat. Never had one I didn't like (if I liked the ingredients, eggplant makes me shudder)

Can you do this with anytime dining? do they have some sore of a menu?

My faves: Carnival used to have a beef noodle salad with peanut sauce, probably my favorite thing ever on Carnival. I think I ate 3 orders of it one night. I also love the crab cakes in the Steakhouse and the huevos rancheros at brunch. And, oddly, I LOVE the chicken fingers and hot dogs at the grill, normally I don't much like either.

Worst thing: meatloaf. And the frog legs were highly disappointing. I love frog legs but these were as bland and tasteless as boiled chicken. Also, the desserts in the Lido buffet are disappointing as well. No matter what you get, it all tastes the same and I'm not even sure what the flavor is :D

Yep

When you give your folio number your preorder slip is printed. Very easy

It is a set menu each night. The hostesses have a menu with all the dinners.

Edited by SadieN

My faves: Carnival used to have a beef noodle salad with peanut sauce, probably my favorite thing ever on Carnival. I think I ate 3 orders of it one night. I also love the crab cakes in the Steakhouse and the huevos rancheros at brunch. And, oddly, I LOVE the chicken fingers and hot dogs at the grill, normally I don't much like either.

Could it be the Mongolian Steak Salad? It's on the first lunch menu in longer cruises. It was disappointing when we had it on the Miracle in February.

The watermelon soup is very good.

Edited by SadieN

Best: short ribs and "pot roast in gravy" with mashed taters on the side at Lido buffet lunch. I don't even LIKE pot roast and I just lick the plate....and have never had a spare rib in my life but LOVE the short ribs on elegant night. I think CCL makes the BEST gravy. Worst: there are some things I don't like, but I can't think of anything that stands out. I am not a fan of the fries at Guy's Burger. I like "regular fries", not seasoned, and wish they offered them both ways. On Liberty I would run up to Fish and Chips and get a basket of fries, then order a Guys burger! Fun thread! :D

I go to Guys and ask for unseasoned fries. I might have to wait a few minutes but love those fries. No burger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll start:

I remember the cold curry Apple soup, which I later made at home. Delicious.

And eight years later, we still talk about the white chocolate bread pudding. Oh my gawd.

I can't really think of anything bad we've had, but I'm sure there are some stories out there.

The best - warm chocolate melting cake or is it warm melting chocolate cake?

Best of the Best: Chef's Table Wagyu Beef and Brioche Blue Cheese Roll; Steakhouse Lobster Bisque, Crab cake, Surf & Turf, Chocolate Sampler Dessert,

Also enjoy: Tandoor grill, pizza, Guys fries (don't care about burgers) Jerk Chicken (Jamaica Port of Call item) wings, the nut & fruit bread in the MDR, passion fruit flan, chocolate panacotta, Grand Marnier soufflé, buttered popcorn pot de crème, tropical fruit plate, bitter & blanc, the short ribs (which are better than the filet mignon that comes with it on the plate, go figure!), stuffed mushrooms, chicken tenders with Thai spices, West Indian Roasted Pumpkin Soup, Tom Ka Gai (soup), Twilight Zone drink, Chipotle Passion Pineapple Margarita,

Not impressed by: the chocolate extravaganza..........it's beautiful but I guess there's a reason it's called "choco", I doubt there's much real chocolate to be found. Spring rolls, too greasy for me. I need to stop ordering the lobster & shrimp on the first elegant night, it's really just not very good. They did away with it, but the "Chef in a Candy Store" dessert at the Chef's Table was a train wreck.

Worst thing is the gluten free bread. It is terrible. It doesn't even qualify as bread. They need to actually send their chefs to MSC how to make gluten free bread. Probably every cruise line does!

Best is the chilled soups.

i've seen a couple people inquire about this - so here's a sample menu (subject to change / substitution) but it gives you an idea of what to expect:

4dc10725.jpg

worst: beef stroganoff, penne mariscos, and i couldn't find much alligator in the fritters, they were almost exclusively breading.

best: stuffed mushrooms, prime rib, short ribs under the 'filet', bitter and blanc, fig date cake, cheese plate, and room service reuben & potato salad for late nights.