Is bear repellent spray allowed onboard?

baxley

We leave for Alaska in one week and will be going on lots of hikes and tours in bear territory. If we buy bear repellent, will we be allowed to take it back on board ship? Or could we turn it in to the "naughty room" when coming back on ship and pick it up again when leaving for another hike? Thanks.

We leave for Alaska in one week and will be going on lots of hikes and tours in bear territory. If we buy bear repellent, will we be allowed to take it back on board ship? Or could we turn it in to the "naughty room" when coming back on ship and pick it up again when leaving for another hike? Thanks.

Unguided hikes and tours? If guided, let the guide handle it.

If unguided..... gotta say I've never carried bear repellant in any place I've ever been. Bug spray, yes. Bear spray, no.

In all of our backpacking trips we've never bought or had the need to use any bear spray. We always put a couple of small brass bells on our packs that make a little noise. Bears don't like noise and will go the other way when they hear you coming.

In this list of "prohibited items"

Items containing incapacitating substances such as gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

You could always ask the security folks once on board, if you could turn it in when you get on, but my guess is they don't want it any where onboard.

Plus, I believe the only way you can bring it back (if you wanted to) is shipping by ground method as can't pack in luggage to fly home. We were hiking in Montana and left it there for the hotel clerks as cost about as much to ship it back to Georgia as I could have bought it for here.

In all of our backpacking trips we've never bought or had the need to use any bear spray. We always put a couple of small brass bells on our packs that make a little noise. Bears don't like noise and will go the other way when they hear you coming.

Agreed. I have a tin drinking cup I hang on a D-Ring and let it clink and clank while walking. If you carry a lot of good smelling food though... all bets are off.

Agreed. I have a tin drinking cup I hang on a D-Ring and let it clink and clank while walking. If you carry a lot of good smelling food though... all bets are off.

You are way too close if, you have to use bear spray, which I also, have never had.

I walk with an empty soda can, and place a few rocks in it. Simple and makes a lot of noise- which is a good defense.

You are way too close if, you have to use bear spray, which I also, have never had.

Sometimes, being close to a bear isn't the hiker's choice. After being bluff-charged by 3 bears over the years (2 blacks and a grizzly), I was stalked and attacked by a black in northern BC 3 months ago - if I hadn't had bear spray in my hand, I may not be posting this.

Cruise ship passengers, though, are highly unlikely to be hiking in the kind of country that I prefer - off-trail, bear-country wilderness. The vast majority of trails available will have other people on them and bears stay away from those.

Edited by rvorcruise

Sometimes, being close to a bear isn't the hiker's choice. After being bluff-charged by 3 bears over the years (2 blacks and a grizzly), I was stalked and attacked by a black in northern BC 3 months ago - if I hadn't had bear spray in my hand, I may not be posting this.

Cruise ship passengers, though, are highly unlikely to be hiking in the kind of country that I prefer - off-trail, bear-country wilderness. The vast majority of trails available will have other people on them and bears stay away from those.

Except when the bears happen to be passing through the trail area and you accidentally get between a sow and her cubs. Then all bets are off. In general however, making noise works.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Agreed, I've done tons of backpacking and never carried bear spray. Not that it isn't appropriate for some circumstances, but cruise ship passengers are very unlikely to be in those circumstances (disregarding those who actively seek a Darwin Award).

Reminds me of the technique for determining the species of bear from its scat (feces) if you should find some on your trail. Black bear scat tends to be smaller, contains plant fiber and the remnants of berries, and sometimes some squirrel fur. Grizzly bear scat contains bells and smells peppery. :cool:

Edited by gpb11

Bear spray is a semi-controlled substance in British Columbia, where you will possibly be embarking. Retailers need to have a valid license/permit to sell it and some require you to provide personal information on a waiver. It is treated as a weapon, and it is an aerosol. The same goes for bear-bangers, which are an explosive charge meant to scare the bear away if used properly. (Improper use would be accidentally propelling it behind the bear, driving it towards you)

To make a long story short, as noted above, you cannot bring it onto the ship under any circumstances, and without sounding dramatic, you may actually be charged with concealing a weapon if you attempt to bring it aboard especially without declaring it.

If you require it on a tour, your guide will provide it.

I doubt very much that you will be permitted to bring spray aboard the ship. Frankly you will be much better off with some form of a noise making device be it stones in an empty beverage can, bell or even a whistle. However bear repellent can be purchased in Alaska at Walmart, sporting good shops and I recall seeing it in the Tongrass Trading Company.

Hi,this reminds me of the story of the rookie backpacker being instructed on survival.Instructor "ok sir the last resort is to pick up a handful of poop at your feet and throw it in the bears face".Rookie "what if there is no poop there".Instructor "dont worry sir,there will be".Cheers,Brian.

Hi,this reminds me of the story of the rookie backpacker being instructed on survival.Instructor "ok sir the last resort is to pick up a handful of poop at your feet and throw it in the bears face".Rookie "what if there is no poop there".Instructor "dont worry sir,there will be".Cheers,Brian.

Lol! ::D

From living in bear country for almost 20 years, you do not want to interact with a bear. If you are concerned, go with an experienced guide. Wear bells on your hiking boots and talk loud on the trail. You don't want to surprise a bear. Drop your pack and back away slowly. Let the professionals carry the bear spray. Improperly applied, you'll just make matters worse.

I got it....no bear spray. I won't be with a guide, but I'll fill a can with rocks and then throw it at the bear. I didn't think the cruise ships would allow it. Thanks. I enjoyed all your great comments.

John West has some good ideas...

[YOUTUBE]WZ2kqMNbCHw[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]CVS1UfCfxlU[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]_OLj6n_Dc6o[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo