Can You Order Specialty Dining To Go?

zaknzoey

I have never heard, read nor seen that happening; it will be interesting to see the answers to this question.

Right! Me either. I'm sure it can't happen at say Moderno or Teppenyaki, but was wondering on the others.

We could barely get Cagney's to let us have our desserts to go on the Star in May (and we were in a suite).

When they finally agreed, they were served on plates wrapped in clingfilm.

Moderno, on the other hand, offered without me asking to let us take pineapple away with us.

I saw someone else collecting a plate at Moderno for someone who couldn't come. They ate as normal and when the meat came around, they always had another piece cut and put on a plate that was covered in clingfilm.

Edited by callmehalia

In February, on the Escape, the waiter at LaCucina packed our desserts. We asked and in minutes, we received a to-go bag. Our tiramisu and cheesecake were packed, along with utensils and napkins, on plates covered in heavy plastic wrap. His gratuity reflected this effort. FYI - we were in a mini-suite.

In June, on the BA, we asked for the dessert to go and we were told it wasn't an option but since we were in the Haven, the butler could come and get the dessert. It was our first night on the ship and first Haven night so we skipped dessert - we figured we had 6 more nights to eat dessert, none of which compared to the tiramisu.

My experience on NCL (and other places) is that it is frequently server specific or it may be that their policies change based on comments.

One thing to remember since you aren't sailing in a suite is that most cabins don't have the room to accommodate a nice sit down restaurant dinner.

You are right. We're thinking of upgrading to Mini-Suite. They do have a table in them, don't they? And we were also thinking of just eating out on the balcony.

You are right. We're thinking of upgrading to Mini-Suite. They do have a table in them, don't they? And we were also thinking of just eating out on the balcony.

Minisuites are typically balconies with a bigger bathroom. Still no table on the balcony.

Thw last time we cruise on the Epic the last night we were at sea it was really rough and rocking side to side. The wife and I started our dinner at Cagney's and she made it as far as one App before she could not take it anymore. We had already ordered everything and they were super cool and wrapped everything up and had it sent to our room. Outside of it being luke warm it worked out great.

A mini suite is a balcony cabin with a bigger bathroom, no suite perks.

There's no provision that I know of for a true 'to-go' order. Getting part of a meal wrapped up during normal service (as has been noted) is possible.

I would suspect that the ship in general would prefer this not to become a thing for a couple of reasons...

One, the room service system would not know the plates are out there for pickup, and (assuming that the specialty restaurants use different plate service - they do on some lines) their system is not set up for intake of those, so its a little disruptive to routine.

More important tho, when meals are served in their entirety to go without the proper form of packaging (like the Moderno example above, which actually was a really bad idea) you greatly increase the risk of gastro issues. For example, if you were to order a soup, entree and dessert and they were just served in covered plateware, by the time you walked back to your cabin, unpacked, ate the soup, etc, your entree has now most likely been at room temperature for an above recommended length of time and being served in an environment not cleaned to foodservice standards.

But what about room service, you ask, or butler service. I would hope, in fact assume, that they are conveyed back of house in insulated or warmed containers (this is what most hotels do and many room service carts now have warming units for just this reason).

Question this brings to mind, if you have butler service and order a full meal, is it served in courses by the butler or set out as one service?

Never thought about diner in our cabin on NCL. We did this last May on Princess (first and only time in a suite) but even though we have been enjoying NCL's suite life never gave this a thought.

Thanks for sharing everybody this may be a good option for us & Auntie if she feels a little to tired to go out one night. Would have just hit the buffet and brought it back to her. This could be fun & peaceful for us adults.

I am sorry but I do not get why you would want to get a specialty restaurant meal to take to your room when you could have it in the restaurant and have the nice atmosphere and service.

Well, honestly, you don't have to "get" why. :rolleyes:

Never thought about diner in our cabin on NCL. We did this last May on Princess (first and only time in a suite) but even though we have been enjoying NCL's suite life never gave this a thought.

Thanks for sharing everybody this may be a good option for us & Auntie if she feels a little to tired to go out one night. Would have just hit the buffet and brought it back to her. This could be fun & peaceful for us adults.

This.

We were in a suite last year and loved having dinner in our room one night. It was great. We could laugh out loud, have fun, and not have to worry about some stuffy bird making eyes at us! :D

The pantry may have warming/cooled storage tho to avoid some of the potential issues above.

We take all at once. Your butler serving doesn't mean it is being brought up separately. It's just sitting in the blutler's pantry.