RCI Guarantee cabins

We have an OV cabin on deck 2, which I'm fine with. But it's near the ice skating rink.....never been on a ship with an ice rink, so that worries me a little....

Our daughter and her friend have a front facing OV cabin on deck 6.šŸ¤”

Ā 

No issues with that. They don't run all the time, mostly during the day to dinner. And it doesn't really have any big sound effects, just music during the shows.

We have just recently booked 3 oceanview guarantee cabins (family & friends) on Explorer of the Seas in March 2017.

We have done 2 RCI cruises before, but this is the first time time we have gone "guarantee".

We got a great price (I think), but I'm a little nervous about where we're going to end up...

Can anyone put my mind at ease?ļæ½ļæ½

Thank you.

Ā 

It really can go both ways.

Ā 

What I tell my clients, guarantees are great if you are happy to make a saving on the understanding that you will have no input on the location of the room.

Ā 

Guarantees are cheaper, for a reason. You can get a discounted rate if you're happy for the cruise line to assign your room at their discretion, anytime from time of booking to time of embarkation.

Ā 

If you're wanting to have your rooms close by when traveling as a group, I always recommend NOT booking guarantee rooms as you can be spread out around the ship.

Ā 

I would avoid guarantees if you are sensitive to motion or noise. You may be located at front or back of the ship, or on a louder area of the ship such as above / below a bar or above / below the pool deck & buffet.

Ā 

With guarantees, you are guaranteed a room of the "class you have booked" or better.

HOWEVER this may include an obstructed cabin!

So if you have booked an inside guarantee, you may receive a inside, ocean view, balcony or even up to the suites. What this means is that you may be upgraded to ocean view or balcony, however your room may have an obstruction.

Ā 

Another example would be if you select a ocean view guarantee. You may be assigned an obstructed ocean view, full view (unobstructed ocean view), or even up to balconies or suites however they may also have an obstruction.

Ā 

So the way I put it to my clients is:

Ā 

- are you happy for your cabin to be allocated at any point from time you book to time you board

- are you happy to be located on any deck or position on the ship

- are you happy to accept that you may be located at front / back or a noisy area of the ship

- are you happy that if you're traveling in a group you may be spread out

- are you happy that you may receive an obstructed cabin

IF YES - then make a saving a go the Guarantee Cabin booking.

IF NO - pay the bit extra now, and choose & lock in the cabins you want for your reassurance.

Ā 

There's no right answer and everyone will choose differently. It's just a matter of deciding what matters to you when it comes to your cabin.

Ā 

For myself personally, for a regular in duration cruise (etc 7+ nights) I would prefer to choose my cabin number at the time of booking to make sure that I'm mid ship, and in a position I'm happy with.

Ā 

However for a short 3 night cruise I went on earlier in the year on P&O, as this was just a short weekend away, I made the saving and went with a guarantee status as I wasn't too fussed on the cabin.

Edited by LuckiePuris

For Australian cruise bookings and guarantee cabins, if a cabin number is allocated prior to the cruise, they normally cannot be changed.

Ā 

There has been the odd exception where as TA I've been able to successfully make a change to another cabin number in the same category, however it's isn't always possible.

Edited by LuckiePuris

For myself personally, for a regular in duration cruise (etc 7+ nights) I would prefer to choose my cabin number at the time of booking to make sure that I'm mid ship, and in a position I'm happy with.

Ā 

And then when the cabin you picked, for some reason unknown to you, has lots of noise or other issues you only have yourself to blame.

And then when the cabin you picked, for some reason unknown to you, has lots of noise or other issues you only have yourself to blame.

Ā 

While that is true, sometimes they offer you an upgrade anyway, especially if you have marked (or not marked) that you are open to upgrades.

Ā 

Well with any room - ship or hotel - you may have noise or issues. But by researching deck plans and selecting a room away from noisy venues on the ship, you're giving yourself the best chance of a room that you'll be happy with :)

Our daughter had a guarantee oceanview deck 2 on Voyager and loved it very quiet, I wouldn't expect there to be too much noise from the ice skating ring, if there was any it would mostly be during the day I would think. We just booked a guarantee deluxe balcony on the Explorer for Jan next year , we have just been assigned our cabins all 4 bookings got upgraded to Superior balconies in good positions, we're all happy cruisers.Robin:)

We have only had noise issues twice in all our cruises. The first was on Celebrity Eclipse and we were on her 2nd? cruise. Anyway there was a knocking steam pipe above our cabin which banged through the night. They moved us when we kept complaining.

Ā 

The other time was on Mariner when we upgraded to a Grand Suite which was right under the pool deck. Party noise at night some nights and then the crew dragging chairs around in the early morning hours to clean the deck. All the other cruises we have had no issues.

We have only had noise issues twice in all our cruises. The first was on Celebrity Eclipse and we were on her 2nd? cruise. Anyway there was a knocking steam pipe above our cabin which banged through the night. They moved us when we kept complaining.

Ā 

The other time was on Mariner when we upgraded to a Grand Suite which was right under the pool deck. Party noise at night some nights and then the crew dragging chairs around in the early morning hours to clean the deck. All the other cruises we have had no issues.

Ā 

Noise issues in the Grand Suite?? Who'd have thought!šŸ˜²

Noise issues in the Grand Suite?? Who'd have thought!šŸ˜²

Ā 

Yes, I talked to the Concierge about it and he said the crew wasn't supposed to be dragging chairs and he would make a note to talk to them. Well, they still dragged chairs and of course nothing can be done about the parties up on deck. Since then we've gone back to staying in a hump JS. Much quieter!