Is Ms. Maasdam still in Anchorage?

baxley

I've been tracking the Maasdam and every day it has been right on schedule. Then last night it didn't leave Anchorage and according to tracking is still there. Is the tracking wrong, or is there a problem. I'm sort of interested as we're on her next week. Thanks.

Her schedule shows her in Anchorage yesterday from 0700-2300, in Homer today from 1000-1800 and in Kodiak tomorrow 0700-1400. AIS shows her alongside the pier in Anchorage at this time, sooooooooooooo...............there's been a change in her schedule whether planned or forced......................... ;)

The August 15-29 Maasdam itinerary is the Prairie Home Companion Charter. They are scheduled to overnight in Anchorage, and they will not be going to Homer. They were never scheduled for Homer. I think it's so Garrison Keillor can do a show in Anchorage.

Edited by Old As Dirt Mom

The August 15-29 Maasdam itinerary is the Prairie Home Companion Charter. They are scheduled to overnight in Anchorage, and they will not be going to Homer. They were never scheduled for Homer. I think it's so Garrison Keillor can do a show in Anchorage.

Thanks Mom; that charter superseded her original 2016 schedule which was Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, etc.

So glad you posted as I was beginning to panic for our cruise this coming week. :eek:

Too bad they missed Homer. Prairie Home Companion people would have probably loved Homer! Most people do...it's a nice "down-home community"!

What do you do in Homer? (What would you do in Homer?) We are considering an AK Coastal Studies tour, but are open to other ideas...

What do you do in Homer? (What would you do in Homer?) We are considering an AK Coastal Studies tour, but are open to other ideas...

Actually, we were there on the Maasdam August 9th. I had seen the AK Coastal Studies half day tour for cruise days and signed two of us up for the tour. We were the only two on the tour and it was a wonderful tour. We had a "private" boat ride ride over to Peterson Bay. On the way our pilot went by Gull Island and we saw puffins and other sea birds that nest on the island to keep away from the predators. We also saw a sea otter eating an octopus (our pilot even had to get a photo of that) and one whale tail.

Laura met us at the dock and talked to us about the walking tour we would be taking. She gave us boots to wear since we were walking to China Poot Lake or Bay for tide pooling. She offered us walking sticks which I was very happy to have. We trekked over tree roots on the trail and she explained the plants and trees that we were seeing and we picked and ate blueberries and a few raspberries. We met another small family group at China Poot and they joined us on the way back. Laura was so patient and really enjoyed the job and the serenity of the field station. She was very knowledgeable about the sea creatures we found as we turned over rocks and shells at low tide.

Back at the field station we ate our snack and visited a bit before spending some time at the "hands on" displays at the field station. This is an educational field station that provides Yurts for school children for camping. Soon our "private" water taxi arrived to return us to the spit.

Prior to our cruise I was excited and somewhat concerned about this tour but it went pretty much as they say on their website. They have a little office on the spit and they knew we were coming and it was a wonderful day. You get back in time to wander the Spit a bit and take the bus at the Salty Dog back to the ship.

I was pleased that we had a private tour but somewhat surprised that more people hadn't had the opportunity. I told the water taxi driver that the ship didn't offer the trip and he replied that if it did it would cost three times as much!

If you go take a snack and water. They say they provide water but they will give you a refillable container to use. They are very environmentally aware.

Edited by oaktreerb

What do you do in Homer?

Take the shuttle into town, and on the way in be amazed by all the RVs parked along The Spit. These people are there for the fishing season.

Once in town, head up to the Pratt Museum. It's full of artifacts and history of the area. When I was there, there was a display about the oil spill in Prince William Sound that brought tears to my eyes.

On the ride back, look for the sea otters all along the bay.

Once back at the ship, switch to the other shuttle (if the first didn't take a detour there), and head out to the end of The Spit. Wander through the various shops there, and stop in to the Salty Dawg for a drink. If you get lucky, you might find a fisherman there to chat with. Learn about life there from someone who lives it.

Or, take a shore excursion that goes out on the water for the day. I was on a boat that cruised around several of the nearby islands, then headed out to another town (the name of which I can't recall) for a stop. The ride back is under different light conditions, which makes it look different.

There's plenty to do in Homer!

What do you do in Homer? (What would you do in Homer?/QUOTE

There is an Homer Trolley that you can ride all day for $15.00. I plan on using it when I go next week. It is like a hop on hop off trolley. When I went two years ago many folks went out on fishing excursions. The scenery in Homer is awesome!

There is the Pratt Museum, a wonderful art gallery where the artist lives on sight.

Thanks Mom; that charter superseded her original 2016 schedule which was Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, etc.

Charters often have itineraries that are different from a ship's regular routine. I think most of our RSVP charters have deviated from the regular itineraries.