Water Taxi

Aj101710

I would like to use the water taxi if we go on a cruise in December 2017 to go to West Bay to snorkel. It seems more economical to use the water taxi instead of the $15 pp or whatever it is. We would be in port 11-7.

According to http://www.roatanisland.net/ there is a water taxi, The fare is 60 Lempiras ($3 USD) is this true? Has anyone used it before? I have tried googling it, and looking on here so I'm not sure if it is still in service. I saw on their page it was I service in 2014. The only ferry info I could find was about a ferry that goes from Roatan to the main island of Honduras.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! 😃

What ship are you on? And where are you docking?

As I recall the water taxis only go from West Bay to West End and return. To get to either you'll need to take a taxi or arrange a resort day pass with transportation, like form Bananarama or Beachers, et'al.

Guest or c-legs, do either of you know if there a water taxi service from Coxen Hole to West Bay?

As I recall the water taxis only go from West Bay to West End and return. To get to either you'll need to take a taxi or arrange a resort day pass with transportation, like form Bananarama or Beachers, et'al.

Guest or c-legs, do either of you know if there a water taxi service from Coxen Hole to West Bay?

Good Morning Crewsweeper,

You are correct, the water taxi only run between West End and West Bay within the lagoon-ish the reef creates. It would be far to dangerous for the little boats to go round the other side of the island. By the by ~ they do not run after dark or in bad weather. :0)

If anyone does decide to attempt a Coxen Hole/West Bay shuttle you can bet it will cost more than $3. :0)

Thank you for responding. I haven't booked anything yet since I can't ask for time off next year until January, so I'm just trying to plan and gather as much info as possible. If we go I am looking at going on the Norwegian Pearl.

Good Morning Crewsweeper,

You are correct, the water taxi only run between West End and West Bay within the lagoon-ish the reef creates. It would be far to dangerous for the little boats to go round the other side of the island. By the by ~ they do not run after dark or in bad weather. :0)

If anyone does decide to attempt a Coxen Hole/West Bay shuttle you can bet it will cost more than $3. :0)

Thank you for responding 🙂 I thought it was too goo to be true lol I just hate the thought of pay $25 pp for a taxi to go to the beach than another $25 to get back to go to Gio's for lunch.

I think $25pp will get you one of the island english speaking tour guide drivers for all day, any place you wish to go. Email a bit with Rony or Bodden tours.

The $25 you have been seeing is round trip but if you are going to Gio's as well perhaps the above would suit better.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I think $25pp will get you one of the island english speaking tour guide drivers for all day, any place you wish to go. Email a bit with Rony or Bodden tours.

The $25 you have been seeing is round trip but if you are going to Gio's as well perhaps the above would suit better.

Thank you! Everything I've read made it seem like it wasn't round trip. I just found Rony's tours and like what I see. Our main thing we want to do is snorkel by boat, but since I haven't found one that is out for my than an hour I figured going from the shore (West Bay, starfish alley sounds kind of interesting) will have to do and just hope we still see fish, and that the reef is a safe distance away. I would like to see some of the island on the way to seeing the monkeys.

If we are supposed to be in port 11-7pm what time would you recommend being back to the ship? I was thinking 5:30- 6pm at the very latest. I heard Coxen Hole is a 25 min drive. So I thinking 12-3pm snorkeling, 3-4pm monkeys, 4-5:30 is food then ack to the ship? Does this sound do-able? Sorry for the questions, I only ask because you seem to have been there before and it will be our first time to the Western Caribbean.

Thank you! Everything I've read made it seem like it wasn't round trip. I just found Rony's tours and like what I see. Our main thing we want to do is snorkel by boat, but since I haven't found one that is out for my than an hour I figured going from the shore (West Bay, starfish alley sounds kind of interesting) will have to do and just hope we still see fish, and that the reef is a safe distance away. I would like to see some of the island on the way to seeing the monkeys.

If we are supposed to be in port 11-7pm what time would you recommend being back to the ship? I was thinking 5:30- 6pm at the very latest. I heard Coxen Hole is a 25 min drive. So I thinking 12-3pm snorkeling, 3-4pm monkeys, 4-5:30 is food then ack to the ship? Does this sound do-able? Sorry for the questions, I only ask because you seem to have been there before and it will be our first time to the Western Caribbean.

That seems reasonable. Contact Rony. He has a great reputation and can help flesh out your ideas. I know that if you head to West Bay you can hire a small boat to take you off shore, usually up to the west end section of the reef. for around $20 an hour (prices may be different and could be negotiable). Ship's usually ask passengers to be back at least a 1/2 hour before sailaway time. So you're return looks good and you won't have to rush at Gio's, assuming you're thinking of the one in Flowers Bay not French harbor.

Indeed, I have been to the island many times but not by cruise ship.

As another possible option, with boat/snorkeling in mind. Have a look at Free Radical. The staff is spot on and the food is out of the world good and keeps coming. http://www.svfreeradical.com/

Perhaps a different ship would get you better timing on the island.

As another thought Dec is smack in the middle of rainy season, you could be up against some nasty weather, or it could be beautiful the day you arrive. Poor weather even a few days before you arrive may well affect the water visibility.

Edited by Guest 2000

Indeed, I have been to the island many times but not by cruise ship.

As another possible option, with boat/snorkeling in mind. Have a look at Free Radical. The staff is spot on and the food is out of the world good and keeps coming. http://www.svfreeradical.com/

Perhaps a different ship would get you better timing on the island.

As another thought Dec is smack in the middle of rainy season, you could be up against some nasty weather, or it could be beautiful the day you arrive. Poor weather even a few days before you arrive may well affect the water visibility.

Thank you for the advice! I thought I had read that the rainy season might be happening then, but did realize that if affected snorkeling so much and that's what we pretty much decided we would do at all the other ports (except In Guatemala, still not sure). I m isn't née to rethink when we go. Thanks again for the advice! 😃

Its been a while since we toured on Roatan but the $25pp rate is only if there are several people in the van. It will depend on how big your party is but when we have had a private driver for only two of us it has been $40pp for the whole day. We haven't used Rony or Bodden but all the rates have been about the same from what I have seen.

Taxis on Roatan are expensive, compared to elsewhere, and we have found it better to have our own driver, who will wait for us, rather than trying to arrange a return taxi. It also gives you the flexibility to visit multiple places, or somewhere else, if your original destination doesn't work out due to location, weather etc.

Its been a while since we toured on Roatan but the $25pp rate is only if there are several people in the van. It will depend on how big your party is but when we have had a private driver for only two of us it has been $40pp for the whole day. We haven't used Rony or Bodden but all the rates have been about the same from what I have seen.

Taxis on Roatan are expensive, compared to elsewhere, and we have found it better to have our own driver, who will wait for us, rather than trying to arrange a return taxi. It also gives you the flexibility to visit multiple places, or somewhere else, if your original destination doesn't work out due to location, weather etc.

Thanks for replying. I was thinking maybe using Rony's Tour company, and doing the freestyle tour. Have you ever had to wait for you why you got food at a restaurant? If it's a sitdown restaurant do you invite them for lunch or do you have them wait out side and meet up with them when you're finished? It would be our first time doing it this kind of tour and I don't want to look rude. thanks again!

Thanks for replying. I was thinking maybe using Rony's Tour company, and doing the freestyle tour. Have you ever had to wait for you why you got food at a restaurant? If it's a sitdown restaurant do you invite them for lunch or do you have them wait out side and meet up with them when you're finished? It would be our first time doing it this kind of tour and I don't want to look rude. thanks again!

I think such a thing would depend on your comfort level. Were I comfy and enjoying the driver I would want to pick his brain about the island and his life.

I took my mother to India, we had a private driver we were with for several weeks. He would disappear when itf came to restaurants., I think we was hanging about socializing with others drivers. He was a delightful guy, gave him a huge tip when it was over.

Edited by Guest 2000