Cruising in June/Juky vs early Sept

mrobinson

Planning Alaska Southbound cruise from Anchorage area to Vancouver for 2017.

Doing a land trip on our own prior to the cruise.

Question is what is the disadvantage to cruising at the end of August into first week of Sept vs. going in Late June or early July?

Cruise prices are a bit cheaper at the end of August. What would we be missing by going later in the season. I'm not looking for the later Sept cruises but ins that start around last week of August

The days will be longer in late June than in late August (about 5 hours more daylight.)

Also, the earlier you cruise, the more snow cover you will experience on the mountains. Makes for some awesome photos!

Do you already have the cruise selected and firm? What was your reason for selecting southbound? In my opinion, it is superior to go northbound end of August, into Sept, then do mainland touring following. In Sept. the inside passage weather can decline quickly and significantly as days pass.

Have you determined your activities? I'd be doing that before any booking as some touring isn't good in either time frames.

No question, the later you go in Aug/Sept the shorter the hours of daylight. However, another big issue is weather, June is statistically the driest month but as you move in late August and early September there is a much greater chance of rain.

• 2 weeks later...
Planning Alaska Southbound cruise from Anchorage area to Vancouver for 2017.

Doing a land trip on our own prior to the cruise.

Question is what is the disadvantage to cruising at the end of August into first week of Sept vs. going in Late June or early July?

Cruise prices are a bit cheaper at the end of August. What would we be missing by going later in the season. I'm not looking for the later Sept cruises but ins that start around last week of August

For what it is worth we spent 14 days on land in July. It rained 12 of 14 days. You really can't predict the weather, you just have to go with it. The advantages to earlier in the season are that the days are "longer", and there might still be more snow on the mountains.

Going later you are going to have leaves changing and maybe early season snowfall.

For what it is worth we spent 14 days on land in July. It rained 12 of 14 days. You really can't predict the weather, you just have to go with it. The advantages to earlier in the season are that the days are "longer", and there might still be more snow on the mountains.

Going later you are going to have leaves changing and maybe early season snowfall.

I had 7 full days of rain/sleet/fog in July also (out of 7 days). Since then, I book May and June (less rain then). After June, each month has greater rain chances than the month before it. Weather is so unpredictable in Alaska.

Edited by Coral

I've always went in August/September. We just got back from a cruisetour August 23rd. and the weather was beautiful. We had two rainy days, it didn't rain enough to keep you from doing what you wanted and one morning that was foggy. The rest of the time it was great. I agree, luck of the draw.

In the Anchorage airport right now waiting for flight home. Our northbound cruise started Aug 26 from Vancouver, with 3 nights after at Denali and Fairbanks. We were told we had the best weather all summer. Vancouver was in the 80's on the front end. Rained about 15 minutes one day in port during cruise. Saw Hubbard Glacier clear as could be, and also saw Denali from every angle possible. Men had shorts on even yesterday in Fairbanks. BUT, we were told we were very lucky also! Today it is cloudy, cooler and raining.