New York Deli to Anthem of the Seas

hallasm

When we were on the Anthem TA last fall, they had a sandwich in American Icon called a "Pastrami Ruben." Yes, that's how they spelled it. And as for the meat in that sandwich, I don't know what it was, but it wasn't pastrami. And it wasn't edible, either.

Whatever deli they are adding now, it can only be an improvement. :)

When we were on the Anthem TA last fall, they had a sandwich in American Icon called a "Pastrami Ruben." Yes, that's how they spelled it. And as for the meat in that sandwich, I don't know what it was, but it wasn't pastrami. And it wasn't edible, either.

Whatever deli they are adding now, it can only be an improvement. :)

Pastrami preparation is an art form -- from growing up in a Jewish household, my extended family members were very picky when it came to Pastrami and its preparation. Not many deli's can do it right ... and I wouldn't bet the ranch on the WJ creating anything close to the quality I expect.

That said, at least they're TRYING by introducing a deli on board. Give them credit for something, at least. :)

Michael

Pastrami preparation is an art form -- from growing up in a Jewish household, my extended family members were very picky when it came to Pastrami and its preparation. Not many deli's can do it right ... and I wouldn't bet the ranch on the WJ creating anything close to the quality I expect.

That said, at least they're TRYING by introducing a deli on board. Give them credit for something, at least. :)

Michael

At least in Manalapan, you have some decent kosher style delis around. Up here in Morris County, not so much. I could go to Nana's or Eppes Essen in Livingston from work, but I sorely miss a really good deli.

Here in NJ, there is also a place called Harold's. I know that some of their locations have closed, but they also had the huge deli sandwiches, and served about 1/2 a loaf of good rye on the table so that you could make multiple sandwiches out of the meat.

I love Katz's. Maybe it's the name (being a Katz myself) but to me, that's real Jewish deli!

After seeing that sandwich photo in the video still above, I sort of figure that Anthem has no NY deli on board, just a very cheap version!

Heck, I can go 5 minutes away to my local deli and do a lot better than that!

Oh, I watched the video for a bit; what a laugh!

If they want it "right", they need to charge for it!

Edited by loubetti

At least in Manalapan, you have some decent kosher style delis around. Up here in Morris County, not so much. I could go to Nana's or Eppes Essen in Livingston from work, but I sorely miss a really good deli.

Here in NJ, there is also a place called Harold's. I know that some of their locations have closed, but they also had the huge deli sandwiches, and served about 1/2 a loaf of good rye on the table so that you could make multiple sandwiches out of the meat.

I love Katz's. Maybe it's the name (being a Katz myself) but to me, that's real Jewish deli!

Harold's was very yummy-- went in there once with my extended family (the non-Jewish side). My cousin asked for "pastrami lean" and we all jumped down his throat! I guess that would better than pastrami with mayo or on white bread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Michael

For starters, they'd have to start with New York water, and that probably wouldn't pass muster with the USPHS;)

My DH and I used to go to NYC (from NC) at least twice a year. Had our favorite places. Stage was one. DH can no longer travel. Now our tradition is that when the grandkids turn 10 they get a trip to New York and they get to bring one parent with us. Grammy foots the bill. Have taken 3 so far, one to go. So, of course we do all the tourist things.

Last trip was in July this summer. My grandson became very ill soon after getting off the plane. Nursed him through the night. Next morning went to urgent care. Had strep throat. Of course we were staying in the hotel room so he could recover. Staying at the Marquis Time Square. Needed food. Carnegie just a few blocks away. Chicken soup and grilled cheese for him and huge deli sandwiches for us. They gave lots of extra bread, mustard and pickles.

We thought it was wonderful. Much better than I remembered. Grandson recovered and was able to go to theater next night (he was on antibiotics and doc said he would not be contagious then).

Wonder if the ships deli food will have healing properties. 🤒Sometime you end up not feeling well on the ship. Good chicken soup available when you need it would be wonderful!

Wonder if the ships deli food will have healing properties. 🤒Sometime you end up not feeling well on the ship. Good chicken soup available when you need it would be wonderful!

Chicken soup is available on all if not most Royal ships on the children's menu. You have to ask for it.:)

Royal didn't say it was a Kosher deli, only the pickles. Carnival has a deli with very good pastrami, but they try to make it small. When I was on the Dream I asked the counter man to make it like their picture, and the meat was 1 inch thick. Loved it.

Harold's is still here in Edison, NJ.

Prices have really gone up but the sandwiches are huge and can easily be shared.

He used to work at Carnegie Deli.

Maybe a half hour from Bayonne, depending on traffic.

On our last visit a few months ago everyone shared a sandwich , except for me even though it is huge I wanted to finish my own,

On our last visit a few months ago everyone shared a sandwich , except for me even though it is huge I wanted to finish my own,

I totally understand - I love to get a sandwich for myself - and then bring the leftovers home - and eat pastrami for three days. Their knishes are also amazing - and huge !

Last time I did, though, my son heard I brought home Harold's and in a blink of an eye he appeared at my doorstep with a friend 'for dinner' - LOL !

For starters, they'd have to start with New York water, and that probably wouldn't pass muster with the USPHS;)

New York doesn't need me to defend it, but their water isn't actually so bad. Bronx Brewery uses it, and the quality of their beer is actually quite decent.

Michael

I don't think that's the same chicken soup (otherwise known as "Jewish penicillin"). I think it's closer to Campbell's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but cruise ship chicken soup will NEVER pass muster, at least in my family. My wife is German, a shiksa no less, and she has learned the finer arts of making the best chicken soup there is ... and that will never be replicated in some high volume kitchen on a cruise ship.

Michael

I totally understand - I love to get a sandwich for myself - and then bring the leftovers home - and eat pastrami for three days. Their knishes are also amazing - and huge !

Last time I did, though, my son heard I brought home Harold's and in a blink of an eye he appeared at my doorstep with a friend 'for dinner' - LOL !

I always remember having knishes at either Coney Island or Rockaway while growing up. that with Hot dogs from Nathens when Coney Island was a huge attraction in the 50's

I always remember having knishes at either Coney Island or Rockaway while growing up. that with Hot dogs from Nathens when Coney Island was a huge attraction in the 50's

Ahhh, Nathan's Hot Dogs ... now THOSE are a deeply religious experience. :)

Michael

We do a pretty good pastrami and corned beef here in the Chicagoland area:

Max's (Highland Park, Illinois) and Manny's (Chicago, Illinois)

And these are institutions.

BUT, what I would give to have a Katz's or Carnegie in NY! I don't know how authentic the Carnegie in Vegas (Mirage) is, but it was pretty good too.

For NY'ers, how far is Katz's from the Bayonne port. Next month, I have a few hours in between disembarkation and my EWR flight. Wonder if that is doable.