FYI St. Maarten safety from US Consulate

cakerbakermom

http://curacao.usconsulate.gov/sm-08182016.html

Security Message for U.S. Citizens in St. Maarten: Increase in Armed Robberies

August 18, 2016

The Police Department is informing the general public and mainly the business community, that an increase in armed robberies on the Dutch Side has been recorded recently.

This situation should not raise any alarm, however, it has raised some concerns. The police force is doing its utmost to investigate and arrest those responsible for these criminal acts.

Anyone who may have information regarding any crime or criminal activity should contact the Police Department immediately at: 542-2222, 911 or the anonymous tip line 9300.

The following tips can help you from becoming a victim of robbery:

Avoid dark areas, dark areas form a risk because most robbers tend to rob people in dark areas;

Don’t go to the ATM during dark hours. Plan ahead and get your cash during safer times;

Avoid carrying a lot of cash and other valuables;

Trust your instincts, if you sense trouble, get away as soon as possible;

Take a bus/taxi instead of walking home. If you have to walk, take some company;

Be very alert and observant;

Keep your money close to you, preferably not in a purse that hangs free from your hand;

Don’t advertise; don’t wear expensive or fancy looking jewelry; Install apps like “find my phone” or “find my mobile” on your Smartphone;

Make a note of the unique IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identification) number of your cell phone. If it gets stolen, the police will be able to search in databases.

If, in spite of the abovementioned tips, a robbery does take place, here are some things you can do to make it easier for police to catch the robber:

Stay calm;

Don’t be a hero, your life is worth more than your money;

Take a good look at the robber. Make mental notes about the robber. Give the dispatcher all the details you can remember about the robber(s), so police patrols on the street can start an investigation immediately;

Note the direction of the robber when they leave;

Try to get a description of the vehicle, if the robber uses one;

Call 911 as soon as possible;

If there are any witnesses, ask them to remain with you until the police arrive. If they can’t, get their name, address and phone number;

Go to the nearest police station to file a report;

Call the emergency number of your Credit Card Company or bank. They can freeze your credit;

Log on to your “find my phone” service, try to locate the phone and tell the police about your findings.

Contact Information

The United States Consulate General in Curacao serves U.S. citizens in Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Maarten, and St. Eustatius.

Location: The Consulate is located at J.B. Gorsiraweg 1, Curacao.

Phone Numbers and Dialing Instructions: During business hours, call +599(9) 461-3066. For after-hours emergencies, call +599(9) 510-6870. If calling from the United States, dial 011 before the number. If calling from the following islands, enter the appropriate code before the number: Aruba (00); Bonaire (00), Saba (00), St. Maarten (011), St. Eustatius (00).

Email: You can email the American Citizen Services Section at acscuracao@state.gov.

Website: The Consulate's Website is curacao.usconsulate.gov.

Well, this just seems like common sense, anywhere.

Interesting that the American Consulate is publishing this contact information, as St. Maarten joined the North American Numbering Plan nearly five years ago, and the +599 went away when calling from the US. Now it's like dialing an Area Code within the US, 721. So it should be 1 721. It's still an international call, however, so can be expensive.

gary

Interesting that the American Consulate is publishing this contact information, as St. Maarten joined the North American Numbering Plan nearly five years ago, and the +599 went away when calling from the US. Now it's like dialing an Area Code within the US, 721. So it should be 1 721. It's still an international call, however, so can be expensive.

gary

Gary, I agree that much of this does seem like common sense. I had just ran across it today and thought I would share, for whatever it was worth to people. Our next cruise doesn't stop here, but it wouldn't make me stay on the ship. We need to always use good personal safety skills and be vigilant.

The phone number is interesting. Someone needs to update their webpage!

Recently, on my Carnival cruise, I read a warning in our Fun Times that the U.S. Embassy in Barbados has issued safety advisories due to high levels of crime. It encourages us to remain in the main tourist areas and to avoid carrying large amounts of cash & jewelry. Just to be aware of your surroundings.

This warning scared me a little, so I left my ring in the safe and wore no jewelry, while in Bridgetown.

I think it's probably the same for all the islands in the Caribbean; it's probably also the same for when you go into Baltimore, US mainland :D

Or many parts of Los Angeles, CA or Santa Ana, CA for that matter. Both within a short distance of where I live.

I live between Baltimore and DC. While they both have very nice parts, there are definitely huge areas you wouldn't want to set foot in, for sure! That's why I find those warnings by the US authorities a little hypocritical...

Sometimes cruisers are not as leery & cautious, as they should be. If you're from an aria, you kinda know when to watch yourself. Getting off a ship, on a beautiful island, makes some people careless, sometimes.

Warnings should be heeded! They just want the cruisers to be more cautious.

• 2 weeks later...

gary

Do you think that this is old info that gets a new date every now and then? I have seen that on the CDC website before. If +599 is outdated by nearly 5 years it surely seems that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Sometimes cruisers are not as leery & cautious, as they should be. If you're from an aria, you kinda know when to watch yourself. Getting off a ship, on a beautiful island, makes some people careless, sometimes.

Warnings should be heeded! They just want the cruisers to be more cautious.

Perhaps I'm giving Americans more credit than they are due, but wouldn't anyone of at least average intelligence know that if you are in an unfamiliar country/city/area, it's better to stick to well populated areas and not flash cash or jewelery around?

Out of curiosity I checked for travel advisories for Canadians. Other than Zika warnings, it's basically advising normal security precautions for almost everywhere in the Caribbean, including Barbados and St. Maarten. Everything in the OP should be considered normal security precautions. Just because you're on a cruise doesn't mean your common sense can be parked at home.

Edited by mom says

Perhaps I'm giving Americans more credit than they are due, but wouldn't anyone of at least average intelligence know that if you are in an unfamiliar country/city/area, it's better to stick to well populated areas and not flash cash or jewelery around?

Out of curiosity I checked for travel advisories for Canadians. Other than Zika warnings, it's basically advising normal security precautions for almost everywhere in the Caribbean, including Barbados and St. Maarten. Everything in the OP should be considered normal security precautions. Just because you're on a cruise doesn't mean your common sense can be parked at home.

Are you frustrated over their election news and taking it out on our cc neighbours to the South? lol

Nobody could be as frustrated over U S election new as thinking U S voters. CC offered some solace and escape - please do not ruin it by rubbing our noses in what is happening.

On this side of the border cc is offering solace from the slumping Blue Jays, so I hear you loud and clear.:)