Cancelling after final payment

singlegrandma2

I think I know the answer but I have never had this happen to me or anyone I know. My friend and roommate has to cancel the cruise in Oct. We have already made our final payment. I don't know why but she did not take out the insurance so she will loose the money. Since the cabin is paid, I just have the cabin to myself at no additional charge to me .... correct? I know I could sell her part of cabin, but all our close friends are already going and I am not having a roommate I do not know well. A bad roommate can ruin a trip for sure. Thanks for an info!

I think I know the answer but I have never had this happen to me or anyone I know. My friend and roommate has to cancel the cruise in Oct. We have already made our final payment. I don't know why but she did not take out the insurance so she will loose the money. Since the cabin is paid, I just have the cabin to myself at no additional charge to me .... correct? I know I could sell her part of cabin, but all our close friends are already going and I am not having a roommate I do not know well. A bad roommate can ruin a trip for sure. Thanks for an info!

Check with Celebrity -- Maybe you can get some of the taxes/port charges refunded if you will only be a single.

It seems to me that some cruises allow some amount of refund graduating downward even after final payment. I could be wrong, but best to call asap and find out directly from Celebrity or your travel agent if haven't already.

Edited by Tropic

It seems to me that some cruises allow some amount of refund graduating downward even after final payment. I could be wrong, but best to call asap and find out directly from HAL or your travel agent if haven't already.

The issue with roommate canceling this close to the cruise. OP might be required to pay a single supplement.

Here is the policy,

Including Holiday Sailings & Cruisetours

Cruise Length Days Prior to Departure Charges per Person

1 to 4 Nights 75 Days or more No charge

74 to 57 days Deposit amount

56 to 29 days 50% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded)*

28 to 15 days No refund except for taxes and fees

5 Nights or longer 14 days or less No refund except for taxes, fees and port expenses

90 days or more No charge

89 to 57 days Deposit Amount

56 to 29 days 50% of Total Fare (taxes, fees and port expenses excluded)*

28 to 15 days 75% of Total Fare (taxes, fees and port expenses excluded)*

14 days or less No refund except for taxes, fees and port expenses

*Or deposit amount, whichever is greater

My husband left a cruise on day 2 due to a family emergency. He was refunded his unused prepaid tips, excursions, and the remainder of his beverage package but that was it. We didn't even think to ask about taxes and port fees (he left at the first stop of a 10 day itinerary). That was before the "all inclusive" package so I don't know if they can break out the included add-ons but I highly doubt it. Definitely a downside when cancellations are a concern. We thought we were covered by our credit card but we didn't realize we had to book the ENTIRE trip on that card and I had booked airfare through points using my own card, duh. She might want to check her credit card though, you never know.

I think I know the answer but I have never had this happen to me or anyone I know. My friend and roommate has to cancel the cruise in Oct. We have already made our final payment. I don't know why but she did not take out the insurance so she will loose the money.

How much of her money she will lose depends on how soon after the final payment date she canceled.

She should look at the Cancellation Schedule on her Celebrity Booking Confirmation, which shows the various dates at which she will lose 50%, 75% or 100%.

If she has already canceled and the cruise is not until the middle of October, it looks like she may still be within the time frame to get 50% refunded, plus the port charges.

Edited by fleckle

Are any of your other friends have 3 to a cabin? As the money is going to Celebrity, canceling a 3rd person and changing one name is possible. Your cabin might have some better perks than a 3rd person in another cabin might. Or that there will only be one person in the cabin. Yes I dont think your going to get much if anything back. You might be able to used the other persons money to do a single and get double points. I'm trying to think of the best out come of a not so good of a situation.

OP's cabin is changing from a double to a single. Regardless of whether it is before or after the final payment due date, the price of the cabin will be 2 x cruise fare + 1 tax....

As it is after the payment due date, any other charges beyond the above should be refunded.

My guess is that Celebrity will not nor can not cancel 1/2 of a cabin, therefore no refund. I also don't think Celebrity would have accepted 50% payment from each person. Payment was probably made by one person or one TA paying for both, therefore Celebrity will not split a refund.

OP's cabin is changing from a double to a single. Regardless of whether it is before or after the final payment due date, the price of the cabin will be 2 x cruise fare + 1 tax....

This information is incorrect if the roomie simply does not show up.

A no show will not garner any increase to the cabin at this time. As far as Celebrity is concerned the cabin is still considered paid in full for 2 people.

A no show will not garner any increase to the cabin at this time. As far as Celebrity is concerned the cabin is still considered paid in full for 2 people.

If you have questions you definitely need to speak with your Travel Agent or Celebrity directly. If you are still considered double occupancy you could be responsible for Gratuities for both people. If your room -mate pre-paid Gratuities and she is not entitled to a refund for the Grats I assume you are not responsible. We had to cancel after final payment, we had insurance. We were refunded our pre-paid grats, taxes & port charges directly from Celebrity. The balance for airfare, cruise, hotel etc. came from our travel insurance.

Thanks for all your input. I have a call into TA but she has been off a couple days. I don't want to get stuck singles rate..(now says it is $6000+) That is insane. I do have travel insurance so I will call them tomorrow also. I will loose $397 just changing my flight (change fee and comfort seats) We are good friends so she will not do anything to cost me a lot of money. I will post more when I hear back. Been cruising since 1985 and I have never seen this happen to anyone I know but I am sure it happens quite often.

OP did say that the cabin mate wants to cancel. So we can eliminate "no show"

Since you have travel insurance, please read your policy. Does it cover you if the cruise line imposes a single suppliment as a result of your roommate cancelling? Because they might.

She might get some of her $$ back for canceling. Even if she just no-shows, she will get gratuities, taxes and port fees back, plus any add ons she may have purchased.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Since you have travel insurance, please read your policy. Does it cover you if the cruise line imposes a single suppliment as a result of your roommate cancelling? Because they might.

She might get some of her $$ back for canceling. Even if she just no-shows, she will get gratuities, taxes and port fees back, plus any add ons she may have purchased.

It doesn't matter if the no-show roommate gets her gratuities, taxes, and port fees back. A solo is only responsible for one set of same. There will not be a single supplement since both parties have already paid. If Celebrity were to impose a single supplement, it would be charging triple for the room as opposed to double.

A solo sailer

My guess is that Celebrity will not nor can not cancel 1/2 of a cabin, therefore no refund. I also don't think Celebrity would have accepted 50% payment from each person. Payment was probably made by one person or one TA paying for both, therefore Celebrity will not split a refund.

My guess is that Celebrity will accept payment from anybody willing to pay them, split up any way, as long as the total is paid by the due date.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well I have talked to 2 of Celebrity representatives and our TA and gotten a couple different answers.

1. She can cancel after final payment but they will only give her taxes back.. remainder of her payment stays for the cabin payment. I wouldn't be asked to pay more. She can cancel or just no show.. same result. (Celebrity)

2. If she cancels 47 days out, she can get 50 % of her money back, and I will be billed the $1,900 for the single supplement. (Celebrity)

3. She can get all her money back and I will be billed an additional $1,900 or she can just not show and receive back her taxes only.... no port charges. TA

(I think this is incorrect... after final payment you never get all your money back)

No what do I do? lol I don't want her to loose all the money, but she is never going to let me be stuck with the single supplement since she is the one not going.......

Shouldn't there be a standard answer? This is so frustrating.

Edited by singlegrandma2

#3 restates #1 with the addition of the full refund language that is not correct, so someone has their wires crossed for sure. #1 is the correct answer as far as I know. You may need to escalate this to a manager at your TA. You're paying them to provide this service for you. If they cannot give you the right answer, ask them to do a 3-way call with Celebrity on the line.

Well I have talked to 2 of Celebrity representatives and our TA and gotten a couple different answers.

1. She can cancel after final payment but they will only give her taxes back.. remainder of her payment stays for the cabin payment. I wouldn't be asked to pay more. She can cancel or just no show.. same result. (Celebrity)

2. If she cancels 47 days out, she can get 50 % of her money back, and I will be billed the $1,900 for the single supplement. (Celebrity)

3. She can get all her money back and I will be billed an additional $1,900 or she can just not show and receive back her taxes only.... no port charges. TA

(I think this is incorrect... after final payment you never get all your money back)

No what do I do? lol I don't want her to loose all the money, but she is never going to let me be stuck with the single supplement since she is the one not going.......

Shouldn't there be a standard answer? This is so frustrating.

That is the standard answer (except #3 from your TA). You said you were past final payment. If you are past final payment, she will NOT get all her money back. The refund policy is clearly spelled out in your cruise contract. Listed right on your booking confirmation - guest copy. Take a look.