Another, just for fun, thread

Happy ks

:) Do you have one really old piece of clothing you wear all the time?

My (winter) bathrobe is now 14 years old. It is worn in spots, has a few stains that cannot be removed and it has always been a little too long. My very dear Aunt bought it for me when I was in the last month of pregnancy, hence the length. The first 5 years I had it I swore that I would hem it properly, but that has never happened.

I've tried to replace it, but everything I see just isn't quite right.

I wish I got even a quarter of the wear out of all my other clothing!

ohhh...now you are in my territory;) I have an old sweatshirt from Balley's

in AC...goes back a few years(mid to late 90s)...it has probably been washed 5,000 times.

It is stretched out of shape now. I only wear it in the cooler weather

so maybe that is why it has lasted me so long. It is not like a big man's

shirt though. Fits me a bit better than that......

And I bought a pair of flannel shorts a few years ago. They are torn on

the side but I haven't sewn the hole up...I DON'T sew:rolleyes:

I wear them around the house.

I could probably think of a few other things too...but that shirt...I love

it. It is a lavender color...and it is soooooooo soft:D

Oh Happy, what a great question and thread, I know I will enjoy all the replies.

Well not sure because of weight gains I can't say I have anything that old that I wear, I just bought a sweater cardigan, I know that they will have to pry it away from me.

With my hot flashes I ruin things faster these days. I have one cashmere hoddie that's been with me and it's full cut so it still fits and I love it.

I have a pashmina scarf, the big size one, I got it on a sale, before they were even really fashionable. When I was going through treatment, I wore it all the time in the house. When my DH had to give me a shot (I'm terriffed of needles), and I had to get a total of about 40 of them from the DH during my treatment, I would hold on to that shawl , for security and comfort, while he stuck me. I know a grown woman squeezing a pashmina to get a needle, but it was the one thing that worked for me .I squeezed it so hard. I remember once he was going to give me the shot and I had to go and get the shawl from the other room so I could have it to hold on to. I wore it in the house for warmth and I know a complete waste of a pashmina but for me it was my security blanket. I don't wear it outside now, it's just a "house shawl".

I'm sorry my head's not in a good place right now,

MrsMoose, I have noticed you mention hot flashes in several of your posts. I've been suffering with them for a couple of years myself. I don't know what your medical limits, or needs are, as you have mentioned your cancer therapy several times.

Not to get personal, but what is working best for me is a creme called Balance Creme, attached is a link. I'm sure there are other progesterone cremes available, this is just the one that works best for me. I've also tried HRT and Estroven, along with vitamins, soy and other things. This is the best relief I've had yet.

Pardon me if I've gotten too personal :) . I just know what it's like!

ps, I'm so glad you're healthy now!, and I've got a squishy pillow that comforts me!

http://www.kokorohealth.com/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi?file=koko&report=sp&ID=006

I'm sorry my head's not in a good place right now,

I'm sorry to hear that Mrs. Moose. You've been through so much, and I really admire your spirit.

As for "old" things...I would have to say my engagement ring. It once belonged to DH's great-grandmother. She got it in Europe in the early 1900's, and she once worked with FDR so there is a lot of history behind it...and I love it...it's absolutely stunning. I really didn't want an engagement ring...but this one has so much meaning behind it.

I do have a pair of BDU bottoms (camo pants) that I wear ocassionally in the fall/winter with my black cashmere sweater, my black leather belt with silver studs, and my high heeled black leather boots. I don't know why I love them so much. They still fit perfectly and they are always the perfect thing when I am feeling "edgy". And DH loves that ensemble...so it's a win-win.

Great topic Kathy!

~e

Thanks MrsRed, I went for my yearly gyn checkup yesterday and my doctor had an emergency c-section so I had a nurse practioner, she said she "felt something" but it didn't feel like you know what and left it, now I'm a wreck. My onc is here and by gyn is in Plattsburgh NY and I will go to whoever will see me first. Onc can be a month maybe for an appt.

I'm trying hard to be not sacared or worried. I just need to know it's not the you know what. But I can't even book an appt till monday so I'm trying to focus on happy things like fashion. I'm going out a halloween thing in a resto, a few cosmos won't go amiss either.

Thanks for your kind words. Sorry I know it's a fashion board but I just had to write about it, I need to spill so relieve some pressure.

Back to things, I didn't realize about jewelry, I have 2 rings, one my mom gave me from way back when and one goes back 25 years. I always wear them and I won't buy any rings to switch. They are a part of me so I guess if jewelry counts, I'd say my rings.

My favorite pair of house slippers were very old and well worn ballet slippers (real ones) When I took them off, it looked like my feet were still in them.

My granddaughter got a pair of fancy slippers with a fluff of ostrich feathers on the toe and she absolutely loved them. (It was Christmas before she turned 3 in January.) She spent the night with me and the next morning at breakfast said out of the blue (while looking at her slippers) "Oh Nanny, I'm so sorry your slippers are so ugly!"

The reason I am speaking of the ballet slippers in the past tense is that she insisted on buying me a pair of fancy slippers for my birthday in April!

MrsMoose- I'm so sorry to hear of your anxiety. I am glad that you have found a place where you can find something to take your mind off of it.

So in the interest of that...

I have a pair of casual, everyday shoes, well, they're really comfy clog style, that I got from Land's End a couple of years ago. I can't quite seem to find a good replacement. I love these because under my pants hem, you can't tell they're clogs, but I can slip them on and off so easily. They're a very dark brown suede, which is holding up well, but there are parts of the interior which are showing wear and I know it is time to find a replacement. I am having the hardest time letting go of these!

Thank you all,

HappyKS, not to personal at all, I thank you for the advice big time. I wish I could. I can eat soy products, but I can't take anything else. Even creams can be dangerous. They are miserable. They are better in the winter of course and are less intense than 5 years ago right after treatment.

There is no HRT that I can take unfortunately, there is an anti-depressant drug I forgot the name that they tried as many women found relief, it's in low doses and it didn't give me any relief and then they tried another drug that some women got relief from but it didn't do anything either so I stopped it. They are getting less intense, I switched off tamoxafin to aromasin and they have gotten better or maybe it's just 5 years and with time they will disappear.

Not personal at all and I thank you so much for offering the advice and takeing the time enough to care to give it.

Land Locked, thank you, Ms Red thank you, yes this is at least keeping my mind off "(*)*)u0" a bit and thanks for the understanding everyone. Y'all are great ladies.

I have to ask you about your lands end shoes, I want to oder a pair from them the waterproof things, not fashionable but very good for everyday walking here in the winter time if it's not "high boots". It seems you were happy with their product but did you order your normal size?

Doesn't Lands End still have the same model, very often they keep the same stuff for a long time, maybe in the next season as sometimes they only do certain things for the season it's meant for.

Piper that is so adorable about your grandaughter. I would have thought ballet slippers were not comfortable with that wood or whatever it is in the toe? I love the look of real ballet slippers, and that pink, I love that shade of pink. I don't know what it is about real ballet slippers but I just love the look. But I saw a real pair once and felt them and they felt so uncomfortable.

Mrs. Moose, I giggled at your little graphic. A couple of years ago, a very funny email passed around the Internet with all sorts of little graphics like that, reminding us all to get checked. I go annually, always in October and remind my friends to do the same. My mother is a survivor and I know how important it is. Just remember, you are a survivor, too!

Now back to fashion, the shoe I love so dearly is no longer being offered. I am not sure if it's been two years or longer. I generally only wear them in winter because of their style and dark color, but they are oh so comfortable and held up very well. They are part of the all-weather moc series, but why they d/c'd the clog style, I do not know. I'd recommend their shoes. I have wide feet and found this style and other similar styles from them to accommodate my feet just fine, even though they are 7.5 medium. I know they have some more business-like styles now which I can tell, just looking at them, that they would probably not fit me as well. But I do think just about anything you buy from them, although not always the latest in fashion, will be very well made. And their customer service is very good, as well.

Piper that is so adorable about your grandaughter. I would have thought ballet slippers were not comfortable with that wood or whatever it is in the toe? I love the look of real ballet slippers, and that pink, I love that shade of pink. I don't know what it is about real ballet slippers but I just love the look. But I saw a real pair once and felt them and they felt so uncomfortable.

MrsMoose,

Ballet slippers are made from soft leather that mold to your feet. In fact, that's also my "old item". As I mentioned in a previous post, I usually don't wear house slippers, however, when I do, it's always ballet slippers. I can't remember how old mine are, but my feet were cold the other day and I put them on for the first time since April and they were a bit sad looking. I think I'll head to the Capezio Shop sometime soon and get a new pair.

The uncomfortable ones you're thinking of are toe shoes. Those are the satin ones with the wooden square toe that ballerina's wear to go "on point". I wore those for many years in the dance studio.....and you're right, you'd not want to wear them at home!

I'm so sorry that you're Dr was unavailable and that you're between appt's now. I know this weekend is very stressful and anxious for you til you see him again. It's so hard being in limbo. I'm sure everything will be fine and you know we're all sending our best wishes, prayers and good thoughts to you.

Piper, perhaps we should choreograph a pas de deux for our two old pairs of ballet slippers!:)

Jane

Well...none that I have worn recently. I've completely replaced my entire wardrobe at least twice in the last 3 years, so lots of old faves had to go out the door. But I'm not complaining. :D There are a couple of very nice dresses from years ago - that I thought I might wear again now that I have slimmed back down, but I think they are actually too large now, though the style is pretty classic. I'll might wind up selling them on eBay...just hate to stuff them in a Goodwill bag.

MrsMoose, I don't know what words to use to convey how I feel about whta you're going through this weekend. Just know you're in my thoughts, as well as many others here on this board. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed in hope that all is well.

I love how you always wish everyone good health!

Mrs. Moose...I understand how anxiety can really haunt you and how terrible the wait is.

I am glad that you feel you can come here and enjoy yourself....we all need a get away place where things just aren't so serious!

I will certainly will keep you in my prayers.

PiperMcb...I have to agree..that is so cute about your grand-daughter! Isn't it amazing how sweet little children are!

Lois....I have a pair of flannel boxer shorts, and I love them! Mine are about 10 years old, and I hope I never have to get rid of them because they are just so comfy! Thankfully it is actually cool here in Houston, so I can break out my really wonderful clothes! :D

~e

Thanks MrsRed, I went for my yearly gyn checkup yesterday and my doctor had an emergency c-section so I had a nurse practioner, she said she "felt something" but it didn't feel like you know what and left it, now I'm a wreck. My onc is here and by gyn is in Plattsburgh NY and I will go to whoever will see me first. Onc can be a month maybe for an appt.

I'm trying hard to be not sacared or worried. I just need to know it's not the you know what. But I can't even book an appt till monday so I'm trying to focus on happy things like fashion. I'm going out a halloween thing in a resto, a few cosmos won't go amiss either.

Thanks for your kind words. Sorry I know it's a fashion board but I just had to write about it, I need to spill so relieve some pressure.

Back to things, I didn't realize about jewelry, I have 2 rings, one my mom gave me from way back when and one goes back 25 years. I always wear them and I won't buy any rings to switch. They are a part of me so I guess if jewelry counts, I'd say my rings.

I am sure you are going to be just fine! A good DR is the first place to start but you are surrounded by survivors on this board and our prayers will be with you!!!!!!!!!!I am a 2 1/2 yr breast cancer survivor. And til you know for sure there is always the possibility it isn't anything serious.

I just finished chemo july 21 for lymphoma cancer and my hair is grwing back, and yes i too have chemo induced menopause and cant take anything for it

I went back to work 3 weeks ago part time and will be full time next wed,

a month ago i ahd abnormal bleeding had a colonscopy within 2 weeks the normal wait time is approx 6 months, i was soos cared it turned out I can no longer take anti inflammatories, makes me bleed now

my cancer they thoguht was a huge tumour in alrge intestine, colon cacner, tehn they said b cell lymphoma cancer indolent no cure, after more testing n a bone marrow ick I have large cell lymphoma and they feel im in the 70 % who are cured

hang in there it may not be anything serious but yes good to have it properly checked out

Hugs take care remember without our health money doesnt matter unless away ona crusie jan 29 is our first crusie after cancer with new hair do so will feel weird

Mrs. Moose, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had a breast cancer scare three years ago; the waiting is just so lousy. My growth was benign, thank goodness, but it meant I had to give up Prempro after 7 years, and sure enough, the hot flashes came back. I have found some relief at night by keeping the temperature in the bedroom as cool as I can stand it. Pile on the covers, but if you are breathing cold air, it cools your core. Regular exercise makes a difference, too.

To the topic of beloved old clothes, I have a gray wool blazer I bought in the 80's at B. Altman (a department store that hs since gone out of business) that I wear often. It's a classic design without exaggerated 80's shoulder pads, so a couple years ago I paid a tailer to put in a brand new lining rather than replace the jacket.

Carol Louise

Oh my, I'm overwhelemed with your kindess and good wishes and thoughts and prayers. THANK YOU. MANY THANK YOUS Unfortunately this computer screen cannot convey my sincere thanks. Telling my mom yesterday was the hardest part. She is 90, lost my brother before I was born at age 7 on a botched appendectomy and cries all the time about me having had BC. I had no choice but to tell her because of the appointment. If I have to go to Plattsburgh, she will want to know why, and if I go to the oncologist here, and can't go with her that day she will ask why and if I'm crancky over the weekend and short tempered, she will ask what's wrong. I feel so bad for her, I'm her only living relative in the whole world.

To SilverVal and Realestate, Congrats on your survival, I'm so happy for you and I know you will continue to be a surivovr for many many more years to come.

To SilverVal, I'm so happy you are getting your hair back now, I know who excited I was when mine was coming back. I got nervous when I didn't see any and I made hubby but a magnifying glass on my head and see if he sees any "peach fuzz" like every day and when he did, I did a happy dance. I went to Salem for Haloween a month after I finsished chemo and I had postponed my radiation treatments for 2 weeks to go. It was one of my dream trips it was planeed before I got dx and I was determined to go. I went with no hair and a wig, the hot flashes were a killer and I was tired more easily but I went and I had a great time, and I know you will have an even better time as you will have new hair, and what a lovely way to celebrate your new hair and your end of treatments.

I know that you are cured. I hope you have the most wonderful cruise.

I know about the scary part from last month. Last year I had abnormal bleeding and thought uterine cancer, but it was begnin growths, but I can understand your feelings of panic.

To RealEstate, I hope and pray that you continue your journey as a survivor without any panics or fears for many many many years to come.

to LandLocked, congrats to your mom, may she continue to have many many more years of survivorship (my term for it).

To Everyone one, I hope and pray you never ever have to go through this or anything similar. I hope and pray they find a cure, and mostly I hope and pray that y'all have many many many happy and healthy cruises and trips ahead of you.

Now to the happy things, Went to a Halloween party in a restaurant last night. Just DH and myself, they call it a supper club I think. It was packed, sold out for the dinner part and the bar was full as some people come on just for the bar part. I'd say the early part it was mostly non-costume and as people started coming in for the "dance" there were more, probably 60% no 40% yes. They had magicians and clowns and jugglers and acrobats and unicyclists. We were probably the oldest people there and we aren't even seniors, the average age was 20 somethings and 30 somethings. When Kelly Rippa was in Montreal, she went to this place and loved it so much she raved about it on Regis. I live like 5 min from the place and just never went as it is more of a "late night" place. Now think upscale dining, food was excellent, the warm goat cheese salad was excellent, my duck with orange fig sauce was wonderful. Not a cheap place, any average person would consider it on the expensive side for dinner.

The dress code,(aside from those in costume) well for the guys, 95% wore jeans, some were ratty too, one guy had jeans, a sweatshirt hoddy and some ratty jacket. His date wore nicer 7 jeans and a halter top. The average guy wore jeans, and a shirt with the tails out, a couple had t-shirts with the pictures on it and one even wore a ball cap and most had the 5'o'clock shadow, I joked and said to they hubby, I told you you didn't have to shave before going out. He said, I know, just not me, which I know, it's ingrained in him from his upbrining and he would never go to a nice restaurant without a shave nor does he ever wear his shirt tails out. For the ladies, 85% were in jeans and halter tops, or sleveless sweaters. Most wore their sweaters too tight, with a space between the jeans and the sweater where the flab hangs over the waist (yes a lot had the flab). I couldn't help notice and because of the this board I enjoyed watching all the people and their clothes. They have a VIP room and a velvet rope thing when we left, people were standing outside about 40 or 50 begging to be let in. I was really amazed for a place that consideres themselves to be so upscale at the clothing choices, and then I realized, they all think this is the "cool/in" way to dress. The people were really struttin their stuff.

I wore nice black microfibre pants, a satin/silk dana buchman top with a big emblishment in the v (low V for me) there is a picture on the saks webpage of it I think and a black studded suede dana buckman jacket, and loubertain pony hair flats. I have a cape that is marled black and brown alpaca with a box trim all around the edges, as my "overcoat" which of course I took off. This was probably the most dressed in the place (and I'm not bragging about anything). I love Halloween, one of my fav holidays it's such a "party time holiday" and I love it. Hubby even enjoyed it as he usually isn't into these type of places as he much prefers a nice quiet meal in a nice resaturant and last night was anything but quiet, but he said, the "music was good". We left before the real dancing got started. At 12:30 it turns into a more of a "club scene" and I could hear the music getting louder and louder as time got later and later, lol. Of course the 2 cosmos and the bottle of wine hubby and I shared helped my mood and my spirits. The palm reader at the party said I had a long life line and that while I'm in a period of nervousness, my overall health is good and that I will soon be planning a trip in January. I'm thinking if I decide to fly again, maybe Transylvania for Halloween next year, they put on one huge party at the Count Dracula Club. I was supposed to go 25 years ago but the vacation got rescheduled and I never went.

Today we are going to volunteer at my orchid club. The club is putting on it's annual show and of course needs volunteers so we have the 12 - 3 shift and I'll see the show at the same time. I love orchids my fav flower and I grow some at home. Another reason for not staying out too late as people are depending on us for the show.

Once again, many thank yous for your outpouring of support and good wishes and prayers, it is really very much appreciated. Of course I'll post when I know something.

Thank you and may y'all have a very healthy and happy and blessed Halloween/Samhain

Oh sorry I forgot to ask in my previous post, those ballet shoes, where does one get them? I love the look and I love slippers and I'm looking for a new pair. I saw some on NM website but they weren't the real thing. I really would love a pair of the comfy ones especially in that delicate pink?

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

thanks

MrsMoose, Good morning:) sending you my good thoughts too.

I didn't read every post but If you are talking about ballet slippers worn

for regular outfits...most any shoe store sells them. Unless ya'll are

talking about another kind of ballet slipper. But I know I have seen

them in Dillards, DSW, etc.....any major dept store usually has them.

Hi MrsMoose-

Sounds like you had some fun last night. The idea of going to Salem for Halloween is one I've held hopes for for a number of years. I have a daughter still in school, so it is hard for us to get away in October, but in a few years, she'll be off on her own at college and I'm sure we'll make the trek. Going to Transylvania- what a great idea! You must really love Halloween. I know I do, too.

As far as the ballet slippers, Jane had mentioned a brand, Capezio, above, so I checked and Zappos.com offers them. They have free shipping and free return shipping so it's a risk free way to try them out. Just go to their web site and type in Capezio in the search box and the page should come up for you. Capezio is a dance wear manufacturer so these are the real thing, and they have that delicate pink, too. :)

Thank you for your kind thoughts,

you will be in my thoughts this week as you see your specialist, I'm sure things will go well, I'm glad you're keeping busy that really does help keep us distracted in thse moments, I sure hope none of us has too many of those over the many many years ahead of us

I know all our doctors will keep checking us regularly to catch the same cancers or new ones before they become too serious May God be with you

fave clothes I have this cool night shirt that I have had over 20 years, it s becomming toothin I'm sure one can see through it but its black with a tiger on the front and so comfy

stay strong we care

Archived