First South Pacific Visit - Spirit Yacht Questions

Toddcan

I know there is another thread started by a cruiser with similar questions, but it's policy not to hijack threads, and my situation is different, so I'm hoping to get some help from those in the know..

DW and I - Early 50's. All kids moved out. We love to cruise- but have only cruised the Caribbean. We also love our vacation club land offerings too(Mexico all inclusives). South Pacific is DREAM bucket list for us, and our life situation now allows us to explore this vacation. Goal timeline - 14 days on the islands (excludes flight days)

I'm exploring our options - staying at 1-2 resorts (Moorea seems like a nice fit - beautiful as Bora Bora, but less expensive), or doing a Windstar cruise combined with a week stay somewhere post cruise. The Spirit seems like a perfect fit for us! We would extend our vacation by another week - on Moorea, likely (although, we are exploring jetting over to Samoa, Tonga,or Fiji too).

So, knowing this, here are some more questions (please be kind - my only reference is several "mainline" cruises).

1. Added costs on board - It looks like there are no extra costs other than alcohol, excursions, and shopping. Is this correct? Mainline cruises have "options" for speciality dining, upcharge menu items, etc. What about the Spirit?

2. Photographers - any? I'm OK without any photographers wandering around - but would also not mind the odd photo - not sure how the do this on Windstar.

3. Dining options - on the Spirit - looks like the main restaurant and a more casual buffet option too - are both open for all 3 meals?

4. Shows/entertainment. What is the "normal" evening on the Spirit after sail away? I see a lounge - but are there any shows/performers etc?

5. Post Cruise suggestions? Knowing that we want to spend a week or so after the cruise somewhere - I'm thinking Moorea since we are still budget-aware. All I've heard is "don't stay on the main island - it's not near as nice as the rest of FP. I see lots of resorts with the over the water bungalows in Moorea also have garden huts or beach huts which are much less expensive. We would need to buy meals, so advice on going for resorts which include food (full plate, or half plate, or even breakfast only) is always appreciated.

I sailed on the Wind Star which is identical to Wind Spirit so I can help with some of your questions. Definitely want to do the South Pacific cruise someday but alas getting time off work is the issue so can't address your last question.

1. Extra costs: Tips ($12 per person per day) and laundry service ($109 for cabin for 7 day cruise) which if you are planning a 14 day trip would be helpful. The laundry service is amazing, you can send out clothes every day and they are back the same day. We came home with clean clothes! No speciality dining. Internet access is another charge.

2. I don't think there's a dedicated photographer but crew will take pictures if you like. On our Caribbean cruise the bow was opened at the Pitons and people could take their "Titanic" photo. Bring closed toe shoes if you want to do this.

3. Dining: Veranda is the buffet restaurant, open breakfast and lunch. they also have menu items you can order like pancakes or a burger. Amphora is the main restaurant and is open only for dinner. Veranda becomes Candles at dinner and serves grilled meats/fish out on deck. I think a reservation is recommended.

4. Shows/entertainment: there was a guitar/singer duo and a pianist on our Caribbean cruise. I think for the South Pacific they may have some local entertainment one or two nights. The crew talent show is one night and is great. The crew also does some dancing at the deck barbecue which is hilarious, as some are very into it, others not so much!

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

We had a dedicated ship photographer on the Surf. He got some great moments without being obtrusive like on some other ships. I like hay they do the photos using the kiosk (you will understand once in board) and the CD is reasonably priced and not limited to photos of you.

If it is food, it is included. I think there might be an available caviar package for an up charge, but that is it. Except the Pringles and candy in the gift shop of course. But really, who eats Pringles, particularly when there is other great food available? :)

I would probably start the trip at a Moorea resort and finish in PPT. We went to FP on PG--sadly booked long before Windstar announced their return.

While I can't comment directly on the Spirit in FP, I might be able to help answer other questions about it.

One thing I strongly suggest is to take Dr. Poole's dolphin excursion in Bora Bora.

I am researching the wind spirit for Oct 19, 2017 or Paul Gauguin for Sept 30, 2007 . Exploring pros & cons.

I have been to FP before but this time hubby will be joining me. We are having difficulty deciding which ship.

PG.... Can have balcony & all inclusive

WS ... Smaller , sounds more romantic , we would book the owners suite , sails ( plus for husband as we own a sailboat)

I cannot see going wrong with either but I have been reading a few more negatives about PG lately.

Any comments ??? Thanks

I am researching the wind spirit for Oct 19, 2017 or Paul Gauguin for Sept 30, 2007 . Exploring pros & cons.

I have been to FP before but this time hubby will be joining me. We are having difficulty deciding which ship.

PG.... Can have balcony & all inclusive

WS ... Smaller , sounds more romantic , we would book the owners suite , sails ( plus for husband as we own a sailboat)

I cannot see going wrong with either but I have been reading a few more negatives about PG lately.

Any comments ??? Thanks

I have cruised both lines, although not Windstar in FP. I would not cruise PG again. Service was lackluster, our steward did things in our room which were quite disturbing, a senior officer was beyond rude to us (and many others by accounts), the food wasn't very good. We prefer the layout of the cabin on Windstar. We never used the balcony on PG, no time! The one thing PG got right was our vow renewal. They did a terrific job with that.

What is included in the all inclusive on PG was not to our liking, we had a hard time finding included wines from the ship's offerings that we thought were serviceable. If you drink spirits and aren't picky you might be OK.

Bottom line, I'd choose Windstar.

I have cruised both lines in FP. I would never cruise PG again.

For me, the ship had a mass market feel, just a bit smaller, and nothing special. Service was not good; my children and I were basically ignored at meal time, so much so that I usually left the dining room with my wine glass and went to the closest bar if I wanted a refill. The bartenders at that bar were great and called me the "Pinot Grigio lady". We did have a balcony and very much enjoyed that.

The service was not good on the rest of the ship and I did write a several part detailed review and posted on the PG board, but didn't finish as the rather vociferous cheerleaders (one would think they owned the cruise line) there basically told me I was lying about my experiences.

If you are interested in reading, you can probably pull it up by doing a search in that forum.

No cruise line is 100% perfect, but service on the Windstar is so far above that of the PG, it isn't even close. I have sailed on the Wind Spirit several times, and it has a very nice small ship feel. I would choose it any day over the PG.

Edited by 6rugrats

I have cruised both lines, although not Windstar in FP. I would not cruise PG again. Service was lackluster, our steward did things in our room which were quite disturbing, a senior officer was beyond rude to us (and many others by accounts), the food wasn't very good. We prefer the layout of the cabin on Windstar. We never used the balcony on PG, no time! The one thing PG got right was our vow renewal. They did a terrific job with that.

What is included in the all inclusive on PG was not to our liking, we had a hard time finding included wines from the ship's offerings that we thought were serviceable. If you drink spirits and aren't picky you might be OK.

Bottom line, I'd choose Windstar.

Oh my, how disappointing for you. Hope the beauty of the FP helped with the bad you encountered on the PG.

I am picky about wine!!!

Thanks for ur comment!!!

I have cruised both lines in FP. I would never cruise PG again.

For me, the ship had a mass market feel, just a bit smaller, and nothing special. Service was not good; my children and I were basically ignored at meal time, so much so that I usually left the dining room with my wine glass and went to the closest bar if I wanted a refill. The bartenders at that bar were great and called me the "Pinot Grigio lady". We did have a balcony and very much enjoyed that.

The service was not good on the rest of the ship and I did write a several part detailed review and posted on the PG board, but didn't finish as the rather vociferous cheerleaders (one would think they owned the cruise line) there basically told me I was lying about my experiences.

If you are interested in reading, you can probably pull it up by doing a search in that forum.

No cruise line is 100% perfect, but service on the Windstar is so far above that of the PG, it isn't even close. I have sailed on the Wind Spirit several times, and it has a very nice small ship feel. I would choose it any day over the PG.

You are right, not 100% but bad service is unacceptable. I have encountered that a couple of times too, so disappointing .

I found your post, BTW...it was informative!!

I am reading comments about staterooms on the WS. If we decide on that ship, we will book the owners suite. Any comments on location etc (as it is located aft) & some people r saying it is noisy.

Thanks!!!

Also have sailed both WS and PG- would not go back to PG, nothing in particular, just like the WS atmosphere and intimacy much more.

wolverineinOH is spot on regarding life onboard the Windspirit.

We did the PG and then a week on Bora Bora, which was fabulous, but very expensive from the resorts to food (breakfast $100 for 2). Would think from our ships visit that Moorea would be a good option. Otherwise every where you go is unbelievably beautiful. Bora Bora gets my vote as the most beautiful place I have ever seen (and thats after visiting 93 countries).

If you scuba dive its incredible everywhere.

We spent a night in PPT, rented a car and drove around the island. Had fun but no big deal, a lot of the drive you only see homes built on the ocean blocking the view. Otherwise its just a city. Probably would be good to have a day room booked if your flight is one of those leaving at midnight.

We did the 10 day cruise on the Spirit last year and loved it. I can't say enough about the staff and crew on the Spirit. It was on our bucket list as well and didn't disappoint.

wolverineOH is correct on what he answered for you.

As for the additional stay - Bora Bora has more options, but I found Moorea to be absolutely beautiful and that is where I want to go back and spend more time.

Enjoy your trip.

We just sailed the Wind Spirit and absolutely loved it. I planned this trip as a surprise for my wife to celebrate our 30th anniversary. I did a crazy amount of reading and planning. Between Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor, I felt like I really knew what to expect and what to do when I got to Tahiti.

We did four nights in Moorea at the Hilton prior to sailing. I thought it would be a good way to get used to the six hour time difference and be fresh and ready to sail. I was going to split 2 days prioe to sailing and two days post cruise, but this worked out really well. Moorea was beautiful and much easier to get to than Bora Bora. Also, the cruise spends two full days in Bora Bora, so we didn't feel cheated at all with my decision. In fact, I would not change a single thing about our itinerary.

All of your questions seem to have been answered above, but I can tell you there was no photographer on board the Wind Spirit, but as mentioned above, the staff is more than accommodating to take a picture any time you ask. As for entertainment there was a couple (they are seriously dating, and very cute together) nightly in the lounge. They play a wide range of music and we really enjoyed them. They play to a very small "crowd" however. Each night there were only a handful of couples in the lounge...Still we enjoyed them and got to know them fairly well...Very nice, and talented too.

Hope this helps you out some...If you have additional questions or concerns, let me know!!

We just sailed the Wind Spirit and absolutely loved it. I planned this trip as a surprise for my wife to celebrate our 30th anniversary. I did a crazy amount of reading and planning. Between Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor, I felt like I really knew what to expect and what to do when I got to Tahiti.

We did four nights in Moorea at the Hilton prior to sailing. I thought it would be a good way to get used to the six hour time difference and be fresh and ready to sail. I was going to split 2 days prioe to sailing and two days post cruise, but this worked out really well. Moorea was beautiful and much easier to get to than Bora Bora. Also, the cruise spends two full days in Bora Bora, so we didn't feel cheated at all with my decision. In fact, I would not change a single thing about our itinerary.

All of your questions seem to have been answered above, but I can tell you there was no photographer on board the Wind Spirit, but as mentioned above, the staff is more than accommodating to take a picture any time you ask. As for entertainment there was a couple (they are seriously dating, and very cute together) nightly in the lounge. They play a wide range of music and we really enjoyed them. They play to a very small "crowd" however. Each night there were only a handful of couples in the lounge...Still we enjoyed them and got to know them fairly well...Very nice, and talented too.

Hope this helps you out some...If you have additional questions or concerns, let me know!!

Thanks for the information on the photographer.

So, in the evenings, do most people just retire to their cabins after dinner? Sounds like there is only 1 gathering area - the lounge. If there were only a handful of couples - where is everyone else? Other than on deck, in the pool and hot tub, and maybe the gym and library, there's no where else to go except for your cabin, right? Don't get me wrong - on our mainline cruises, we usually hit dinner, the show, and then retire for bed by around 10pm - we are usually blissfully exhausted from the day's activities.

Can you tell me more about your research into where to stay in Moorea? I'm leaning heavily towards 1-2 days at a hotel on the main island pre-cruise (just to get used to the time), and 5-7 days - preferably in a over-the-water bungalow after the cruise. The option to literally walk out my door, and slip into the water for snorkeling is very appealing to me - but from what I've researched - even on Moorea, I'll pay $600 per night minimum for the bungalow.

Edited by Toddcan

Ok...In the evenings people are in all of the above mentioned places, but I think most of them were in their rooms already!! We followed the same routine you guys do on the bigger cruises, but this is much more low key and laid back. For us, we loved it. It was our third Wind Star cruise and if we hadn't cruised with our kids all the time, we would have more. This is basically an adult only cruise...You will find a kid or two on each sailing (at least that has been our experience), but that's about it.

As for the hotel...I read every single review on Trip Advisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g309685-Moorea_Society_Islands-Hotels.html about the Hilton for a solid year. I did not look at the other hotels while I was there, but we loved the Hilton and I would recommend it highly. As for shopping the price, I checked all hotel booking sites and found that the deal through the Hilton themselves was the best deal. I did the Early Bird Special (had to pre pay the entire price upfront with no refunds), but I felt like it was a good deal. In the prime season (june), the room was about $2300.00 for four nights for a Panoramic Over Water Bungalow. Certainly more than I ever paid for a room, but it is special and I don't regret it at all. On the night before we were going to start the cruise, my wife asked if the hotel cost more than the cruise...she (and I) really loved the hotel and the entire island atmosphere. The fact is, the room is more than the cruise when you factor in food and everything else, but it was worth every penny!!

Keep asking Toddcan...I love talking about the trip and I consider myself well read on the area!!

Definitely go for the over water bungalow, you will love every minute of your stay.

If the expense gets a little unreasonable, better to go for 4 nights versus 7, but still do the over water. The over water units on Bora Bora can easily go for $1000 per night, so Moorea is a better choice, and both are beautiful. You will also find the food expensive (and IMO just okay) at the hotels.

Both the cruise and the islands are VERY laid back. I dont think we stayed up much past 9pm on the ship or the islands.

Ok...In the evenings people are in all of the above mentioned places, but I think most of them were in their rooms already!! We followed the same routine you guys do on the bigger cruises, but this is much more low key and laid back. For us, we loved it. It was our third Wind Star cruise and if we hadn't cruised with our kids all the time, we would have more. This is basically an adult only cruise...You will find a kid or two on each sailing (at least that has been our experience), but that's about it.

As for the hotel...I read every single review on Trip Advisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g309685-Moorea_Society_Islands-Hotels.html about the Hilton for a solid year. I did not look at the other hotels while I was there, but we loved the Hilton and I would recommend it highly. As for shopping the price, I checked all hotel booking sites and found that the deal through the Hilton themselves was the best deal. I did the Early Bird Special (had to pre pay the entire price upfront with no refunds), but I felt like it was a good deal. In the prime season (june), the room was about $2300.00 for four nights for a Panoramic Over Water Bungalow. Certainly more than I ever paid for a room, but it is special and I don't regret it at all. On the night before we were going to start the cruise, my wife asked if the hotel cost more than the cruise...she (and I) really loved the hotel and the entire island atmosphere. The fact is, the room is more than the cruise when you factor in food and everything else, but it was worth every penny!!

Keep asking Toddcan...I love talking about the trip and I consider myself well read on the area!!

I think you are will get along just fine! :) I like to understand details of what to expect. We sound like we are in similar situations too.

This South Pacific trip is our #1 bucket list item, and the laid back, relaxing cruise with mostly adults is most certainly our preferred way to cruise.

Questions:

How did you get to Moorea from the main island? Did you fly, or take the ferry? I would prefer the ferry, I think. - would be a nice 1 hr(right?) boat ride.

Did you get a car when at the Hilton, or were you beach bums for your stay?

Can't go wrong with the Hilton - I've considered the pre-pay option too - it saves a ton of money, but of course, there is risk. Did your plan include breakfast, or any meals? What did you tend to do for food? Resort restaurants? Offsite restaurants? Do the Hilton bungalows have a kitchenette to prepare/store any food/groceries?

Definitely go for the over water bungalow, you will love every minute of your stay.

If the expense gets a little unreasonable, better to go for 4 nights versus 7, but still do the over water. The over water units on Bora Bora can easily go for $1000 per night, so Moorea is a better choice, and both are beautiful. You will also find the food expensive (and IMO just okay) at the hotels.

Both the cruise and the islands are VERY laid back. I dont think we stayed up much past 9pm on the ship or the islands.

you know.. that's a GREAT point... and a good question - It might be worth it to spend 4 days on a OTW bungalow rather than 7 days in a garden view hut.

Danapoint, you say it's better to go shorter stay on the nicer bungalow. Minorhawk - agree?

We took the ferry from Papeete to Moorea ($30.00 pp round trip). We landed in papeete on Sunday night at about 10pm. Spent the night on Papeete at The Fare Suise. Benni runs the B&B and picked us up at the airport and took us to the ferry dock Monday morning. We then took the ferry back on Friday in time to board the Wind Spirit, which was a block away (easy walk with roller suitcases!!)...Very easy and smooth. One note...DO NOT sit inside on the ferry in the front, near the window...It was the closest I got to being seasick during the entire trip. On the way back Friday, I sat outside, upstairs and was fine.

There is no substitute for the experience of the overwater bungalow. If you have to cut a day or two, definitely worth it. I've also seen people who spent 4 days overwater and 3 days in a regular room. I don't like packing/unpacking, so I chose not to that. We did have breakfast (continental buffet) because I had read on Trip Advisor, that if you had a Citibank Gold Hilton Honors Visa, you ere automatically a Gold Honors member which gets you the free breakfast. For $10.00 you could upgrade to the hot breakfast, but there was enough on the regular buffet that we never did upgrade. There is a 95/yr fee for the card, which we never pay, but in this case we chose to get the free breakfast which would have been like 30..00 pp per day.

We did rent a car for the entire four days in Moorea, although not completely necessary. I like to be able to go to dinner where and when I want to. Plus there were shops my wife wanted to visit and having the car made it very easy. We used Avis which is directly across the street from where the ferry stops. The total bill (again paid in full, upfront) was just short of $400.00.

Here's the thing...I probably will not have the opportunity to go back as there are many more places I'd like to visit in my lifetime. I decided what I wanted the trip to look like, and shopped the heck out of each component. I did not cut the corners that were important to me, because the way I see it, it's a once in a lifetime trip. As I have said earlier, I wouldn't change one thing.

You are in the fun stages...I loved all the planning and research. I'm kind of envious of you right now!!

Edited by Minorhawk

...Sorry, I just reread your last post and realized I didn't address your food question. There is not a way to prepare food in the room. Since we had had a car we did go to the Champion Grecery Store...That in itself was a fun experience. We bought some packaged ham and a couple of french bread loaves and that was our lunch. We also bought some tropical fish food...Highly recommended as the fish really flock to you when you have food for them!!

Since we had a car, we enjoyed three off site restaurants...We went to Mayflower, The Mahogany and Rudy's. On the first night, we were really tired and ordered in pizza (that is the one regret I have from the trip!!).

Feel free to question away...