Iphone Photo Review Solstice Alaska 8/19-8/26

twins_to_alaska

LPCKG, The catamaran excursion was well worth it. I'd do it again!

clambake43, Solstice was a lovely ship. We booked a future cruise on a millennium class - Summit. You're really going to enjoy the suite restaurant/lounge/attention.

Joeghartman, tybeelucy2, tweetylori and easyboy, thanks!

Tue Aug 23 Skagway

5:58a Cloudy day, high of 65. We were backed in at the dock (see map below). The gangway near the front of the ship was flat.

IMG_1034_zpsqs9iufc7.jpg

Gangway closer to town was ramped.

IMG_1037_zpsjkldeiku.jpg

Quick breakfast again in cabin. Excursion today is Bennett Scenic Journey - 67.5 miles by White Pass & Yukon Route (WPYR) train with stop in Bennett, BC ending in Carcross, Yukon returning to Skagway by shuttle. Celebrity didn't offer this longer 8 hour excursion so booked with Chilkoot Charters. Had to meet their shuttle at the end of the dock past security at 7:20a.

Downtown Skagway Map. We were behind Star Princess at the Railroad Dock in the far left. Nieuw Amsterdam was at Broadway and Crown Princess at Ore.

Skagway-Downtown-Map_zpsrf3b9irg.jpg

It was surprisingly frustratingly hard for us to find the exit gangway this morning. Other days they'd been more signs and crew. We found the one midship but it wasn't open yet. Those crew directed us forward toward the Solstice Theater but we realized folk were gathering there for Celebrity Excursions and we were independent. There was a temporary language barrier determining where we should go. Finally understood we had to take the stairs near the theater down a floor. Which seemed obvious in hindsight.

It's a decent walk from the end of Railroad dock to the shuttle meeting area but we hoofed it and arrived on time. I had nixed the rain pants so my backpack was lighter.

Our directions had clearly stated DO NOT attempt to board the train at the dock as its destination was different than ours and DO NOT proceed to the train depot. The Chilkoot van was easy to locate. Our driver/guide was Bruce. 14 passengers, most from Star Princess. We drove a few minutes to our train. Bruce conferred with WYPR personnel and identified our car - Chilkoot usually has their own reserved. The best views are on the left side departing by train. Unfortunately, when we arrived, Chilkoot's passengers from the other ships had arrived earlier. They were, expectedly, all seated on the left. Sis and I lucked into the last left table near the front of our car.

Bruce made sure we were settled and told us he'd meet us in Carcross where we had time to look around before the shuttle left at 1. 1 Alaska time not Yukon time which would be 2. He would be driving a different shuttle load of passengers up to Carcross and they'd be returning by the train we got off - too late for us to do with our 6p departure.

7:58a Our shuttle, seen from train. License plate last numbers memorized as they'd be more than one Chilkoot shuttle in Carcross.

IMG_1042_zpszadcgeff.jpg

Train at station.

IMG_1040_zpsrtatpdea.jpg

The train departed at 8a.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

WPYR had "All Aboard!" booklets at each table. Historical blurbs, advertising, and fold down map of our route with points of interest/mile markers. There were 2 roving guides and clear interesting live narration audible inside the cars. Each car had a front and rear outdoor viewing platform where photographers and those that wanted a better view would take turns. About 5 fit comfortably on each but only 2 on the edge to take photos. WPYR found that having the narration only audible inside encouraged folk to not hog the outside platforms.

Each car has it's own restroom - a little less floor space than an airplane one - and a stove that only train personnel could stoke. The temperature inside was comfortable without a jacket. Passengers could NOT move between cars. There was a trash receptable at our end and also 2 large cases of water, the only beverage served aboard the train. Water was complimentary.

The view wasn't encouraging to start with low cloud cover.

IMG_1044_zps0isdqpkr.jpg

8:18a mile 6.9 Rocky Point 637 ft

On clear days - A photo favorite! Excellent view down the lower valley to Skagway, with Mt. Harding and Harding Glacier forming a dramatic backgrop. Those smudges in the water at left are Star Princess and Solstice.

IMG_1048_zpsncidhaua.jpg

8:25a mile 8.8 Buchanan Rock 849 ft

"On to Alaska with Buchanan" has been a sightseeing attraction for over 70 years. The sign on the far wall of the canyon was painted by the Buchanan Boys Tour Group, brought from Detroit each year to visit Skagway, circa 1920-30.

IMG_1049_zpsuhrcjxis.jpg

8:38a mile 11.5 Bridal Veil Falls 1,334 ft

Beautiful waterfall cascades 6,000 feet from the glaciers on Mt. Cleveland and Mt. Clifford.

IMG_1054_zpsyq1tqnqv.jpg

8:50a mile 14.0 Glacier Station 1,871 ft

Once a stopping place for thirsty steam engines on the uphill grade. Railroad section crew lived here and maintained the railbed.

IMG_1066_zpslhv3fikv.jpg

8:50a mile 16.0 Tunnel Mountain 2,275 ft

The yawning chasm of Glacier Gorge disappears into Tunnel Mountain, 1,000 feet above the floor of the gulch.

IMG_1075_zpsbmbywahh.jpg

9:06a Told the steel bridge would appear out of the fog on the left briefly.

IMG_1080_zpsgtqlvcop.jpg

9:11a mile 18.6 Steel Bridge 2,613 ft

Constructed in 1901, this was the tallest cantilever bridge in the world. Used until 1969.

IMG_1084_zpshcpfczey.jpg

9:30a mile 20.4 White Pass Summit 2,865 ft

Here at US/Canadian border, mounted police waved on stampeders with a ton of supplies, needed for one year in the north.

IMG_1092_zpsrjo7ant9.jpg

9:42a mile 27.7 Fraser, BC Table across from ours.

Transfer location for motorcoach connections to the Kondike Highway. Site of Canadian Customs.

IMG_1094_zpscwzgnz5a.jpg

We had a wait while custom officials moved through each car inspecting passports. Off in the fog on the other side of the train we could see the automobile checkpoint.

9:52a mile 29

IMG_1097_zpsqhsc3ysf.jpg

10:01a The Kondike Highway. Patch of blue sky.

IMG_1102_zpsszcl2ude.jpg

10:09a Mile 35

IMG_1105_zps139w6860.jpg

IMG_1106_zpsk8iv2tsg.jpg

10:14a

IMG_1111_zps5rylkntu.jpg

IMG_1113_zpsmjsgz2dg.jpg

10:23a approaching Bennett

IMG_1122_zpsi6gzvtub.jpg

Mile 40.6 Bennett BC 2,785 ft

30,000 stampeders spent the winter of 1898-1899, bulding makeshift rafts and boats to take them across Lake Bennett and down the Yukon River to the goldfields.

Knowing we had limited time in Bennett sis and I used the on-train restroom before the rush. There are also facilities at the station. Copies of the Bennett Walking Tour were handed out. The plan was to be some of the first at the scenic overlook.

bennettmap_zpsbuqkfrx6.jpg

The view from near map #4 below the church if you didn't want to do the steep walk.

IMG_1167_zpsv5ylpck9.jpg

Our train and the 1903 Depot with small museum and film.

IMG_1169_zpsngvu6mp5.jpg

Not much here.

IMG_1171_zpsf6uelmic.jpg

10:54 Museum time. The required 1 ton of supplies.

IMG_1174_zpseupjklhn.jpg

They had to carry 50-75 lbs at a time, usually traveled in groups to protect the stores at both ends. Back and forth and back and forth through severe cold and snow and steep harsh terrain.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/learn/historyculture/tonofgoods.htm

IMG_1175_zpsnngccwwt.jpg

There was a film looping in the left building. We were able to see the whole 11-12 minutes from the start before we had to board.

11:09a Back outside. Our car.

IMG_1180_zpspta0qbom.jpg

Looking back at the church and replica skiff from the train.

IMG_1185_zpsqvzg2ncj.jpg

Leaving Bennett.

IMG_1184_zpsgxsrlem5.jpg

Our lunch had arrived.

IMG_1188_zpsiym2rg5u.jpg

11:19a Handing out lunch.

IMG_1192_zpszpe5m2oj.jpg

Real sliced turkey meat - not deli sliced meat. Very small bag of chips.

IMG_1198_zps4voqtewp.jpg

Macaroni salad with kielbasa. Grapes. Cheese slices. Tomato slices.

IMG_1196_zpsf4lnxqnz.jpg

A blondie (chocolate chip cookie brownie) for dessert.

IMG_1194_zps0p89yhiv.jpg

Lunch was simple but filling and tasty.

Then we just relaxed and watched the scenery from inside or out on the platform. At one point a bald eagle flew by over the lake alongside the train.

IMG_1204_zpsvkiyzkh1.jpg

IMG_1212_zpsmwdsyfw9.jpg

IMG_1230_zpsskuljahe.jpg

Inside our train car.

IMG_1233_zpsfzo5bk5m.jpg

Stove at far end across from bathroom.

IMG_1239_zpsvmdlxqkx.jpg

After lunch there was, as we like to say at Disney, a merchandising opportunity. A guide came through the train with the official WP&YR hat with year 2016 embroidered (available exclusively on board the train) $10, White Pass Journey DVD $15, or buy both for only $20 and get the Scenic Journey souvenir photo book thrown in for free (regularly $4.76)! Have cash ready. We declined.

Rock slides and fall color, yellows and touch of red, on the slopes.

IMG_1247_zpszq72bpi2.jpg

I spent a lot of time on the platform. I'd come in to warm up as I got cold. My sis filled me in on interesting missed narration.

IMG_1253_zps8agduq6o.jpg

12:23p Approaching Carcross.

IMG_1254_zps123992rc.jpg

12:29p Arrived Carcross (originally known as Caribou Crossing), 67.5 miles on the train from Skagway.

IMG_1256_zpsv8rzzrsz.jpg

We only had half an hour before our shuttle departed, but there isn't a whole lot to do in Carcross.

Next to the depot, which was also a store.

IMG_1255%201_zpsmxhpuubr.jpg

IMG_1258_zpssmb3whso.jpg

IMG_1259_zpstbq3duu6.jpg

Matthew Watson General Store, known as the oldest operating store in the Yukon.

IMG_1260_zpscqb6z7fa.jpg

You can unofficially stamp your passport with a moose or bear stamp out front. Sis noted that page 22 in our latest passports has a train image and page 24 has a bear image.

More importantly, Matthew Watson's has ice cream. As if we hadn't eaten enough this week!

Cone explanations.

IMG_1261_zpsnczqbqba.jpg

IMG_1262_zpsuv0engua.jpg

I got rolo, left - chocolate caramel - and sis got peanut butter chocolate. These were small sizes. We should have split a large! Ice cream was excellent.

IMG_1263_zpsqqpl32mi.jpg

Carcross was temporarily busy with our trainload arriving and another getting ready to depart.

IMG_1265_zps7hqnnkr7.jpg

Train departed. Sis wished we could have ridden back as well. I'd had enough train for one day although the scenery had been stupendous, even with the cloudy conditions. Bruce was parked right in front of Matthew Watson's.

IMG_1264_zpsuvib3jme.jpg

We drove through town and temporarily north to Emerald Lake, at mile 73.5 as measured from Skagway. Wikipedia informs that the color derives from light reflecting off white deposits of marl, a mixture of clay and calcium carbonate, at the bottom of the shallow waters.

1:12p

IMG_1273_zps9nhuwfvo.jpg

I did lighten this picture to try and highlight the lovely green hue. Would have photographed better on a sunny day.

IMG_1269_zpshfglsuxc.jpg

Back south to Skagway, about 2 hour drive. There are no restrooms on the shuttle so folk had been encouraged to use the facilities in Carcross. Saw the ubiquitous porta potties along the way but no need for our group.

Bruce narrated a little and then put on a CD of Yukon stories. I was disappointed we didn't make more stops on the return trip as there were several panoramic scenic overlooks where others, even the other Chilkoot shuttle, stopped. I think he would have if anyone had asked but folk were tired.

Mile 66.9 passed but didn't stop at "The World's Smallest Desert".

We made 3 stops.

1:44p Mile 49.9 Yukon Sign, leaving the Yukon.

IMG_1277_zpscweeyrs1.jpg

2:28p Mile 14.7 Welcome to Alaska sign. Only place it actually drizzled on us during the day.

IMG_1283_zpsumwcrws7.jpg

2:45p Mile 7.7 Pitchfork Falls.

IMG_1309_zpsasnezuoo.jpg

We were on the Klondike Highway, not Kondike, my apology for the misspelling in an earlier post.

2:49p Mile 6.8 US Customs. No one came onto the shuttle, just Bruce's passport was checked, so fairly quick.

IMG_1311_zpskvgyadqu.jpg

You might have noticed that the border crossings aren't actually at the border.

From wikipedia:

Due to frequent harsh weather, the actual inspection stations are not located at the border itself.

The US Border Inspection Station is located 7.9 miles (12.7 km) south of the border, making it the farthest offset from the border of any US land border station. More people cross the Canada–US border here than at any other land border crossing in Alaska.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) station of Fraser is similarly located, 7.6 miles (12.2 km) km north of the Canada–US border, though it is not the farthest offset of any Canadian border station. The Beaver Creek station is 28.6 kilometres (17.8 mi) from the border crossing along the Alaska Highway.

3:16p Back in Skagway. Looking down Broadway toward the docks. We didn't have to be onboard until 5:30p so we elected to get off at the end of the street and walk back through town instead of taking the shuttle back to the dock. It was a longer walk than expected, about 1.5 miles.

IMG_1312_zpscv604gze.jpg

We didn't stop for sightseeing or any serious shopping - lots of jewelry and T shirts.

Arctic Brotherhood Hall

IMG_1318_zpsywtyktim.jpg

IMG_1323_zpsmtx3348d.jpg

Second Ave WP&YR Depot Historic Displays Train Shoppe.

IMG_1324_zps5gl1skds.jpg

3:34p Looking away from the docks.

IMG_1328_zpsaowh027t.jpg

Downtown Skagway Map.

skagwaymap_zps7lyssov5.jpg

Near First Ave and Broadway.

IMG_1329_zpsuofu4kdx.jpg

Rotary Snowplow.

IMG_1335_zpssvht3dby.jpg

Solstice in the distance. Had to take the road off to Congress Way around the marina. Would have been slightly quicker taking Second Ave.

IMG_1344_zpsmgldxlse.jpg

3:53p Nieuw Amsterdam past marina.

IMG_1346_zpscm5jfd3a.jpg

After a nine hour day we were happy to be back resting in our cabin before dinner.

We had reservations for Tuscan Grille at 6p. We arrived a little early to ensure a window seat. We had evaluated both the menu and sweeping aft windows an earlier evening and weren't ecstatic about the food but sis was willing to eat there as I wanted the view, despite the $45 per person charge.

5:56p Perfect middle rear window table. Skagway retreating.

IMG_1347_zpsu7eouaso.jpg

We had an attentive server who strived to please. I'm afraid we didn't care for Tuscan Grille. To be fair our server pushed the filet mignon and the tiramisu multiple times and we didn't try either. The menu was slightly different than online.

IMG_1355_zpsjg76vo2e.jpg

We started with the appetizer meatballs - asked for 1 but received 2 - and the burrata with tomato and croutons. We each had a bite of meatball, tasteless, both meatball and sauce. Not an auspicious start for an Italian restaurant. The cheese and tomato were good, the croutons markedly better. Sis had the sea bass, good, and a side of broccolini, which she really enjoyed. I had a few forkfuls of the red snapper, cooked fine, a bit bland even with the sauce, and a side of garlic mashed potatoes, couldn't detect any garlic. We asked for a taste (received a half portion, can't fault them on quantity) of the short rib papardelle. I had loved the short rib at Luminae. Here, the sauce overpowered the flavor of the meat. One bite each was enough.

We left a good amount of food on our plates. Our waiter pushed the filet or anything else we might want a few more times. We decided to skip to dessert.

7:05p The creme brulee.

IMG_1356_zpsktwdwe7z.jpg

The creme brulee looked lovely from the outside but the inside was soft and runny. We sent it away.

IMG_1359_zpsz71egnqy.jpg

I was given a complimentary glass of Limoncello of which I had a few sips.

IMG_1358_zpsg0o2me33.jpg

The manager came to speak with us and asked for our review. I outlined all the issues and small highlights. He apologized for the creme brulee, said it had been mixed incorrectly, and offered to send one to our room later. We declined. Before we left they brought out a 'new' one which was just as runny as the first, so we left it.

I included a tip for our server despite the failure of the meal as he seemed distressed. This turned into it's own issue as we were double charged and it took two days - a phone call, a visit to guest relations, and another phone call the next day - to get it removed. Apparently, the Tuscan Grille Maitre D' had to approve the removal despite it being an obvious duplicate. I was surprised guest relations wasn't empowered to handle it.

IMG_1361_zps2v0s4md2.jpg

The aft view was wonderful. Saw waterfalls. It was a shame that the windows weren't very clean. They had noticeable streaks on the inside.

We headed over to Luminae for a little more food and a satisfying chocolate dessert.

At Michael's Club afterwards I asked Nichola to recommend a drink and I tried my first gin fizz.

Did they have the movie venue on top deck like they do on the Millennium Class ships right now (new to them)? My friend, who was just on the Summit in July, and who are going with us this trip, said they were charging $20 for dinner/tasting menu and a movie. Can't imagine doing that...just what we need is MORE FOOD... Was wondering if this was making a go of it or not.

Susan

P.S....from your pictures the past two days, looks like you are having the type of weather we had when we were in Alaska several years ago!

Wed Aug 24 Sea Day

Delighted in sleeping late after 2 early mornings. I called Jose at 6:45 to request an hour delay on the hot water for my eye mask to which he graciously assented.

8:28a Gray cool drizzly day. The balcony furniture was damp. Indoor pursuits would rule the day.

IMG_1364_zps1gjianmg.jpg

Had a lesiurely late breakfast in Luminae.

10:23a Stopped by Cafe al Bacio to say good morning to Marius. The mini almond croissants caught my eye so I asked for one - you don't have to be ordering a beverage. The server, not Marius, said, oh, you'll want more so you can share with your sister, so she gave me 3. I tried to get her to put 2 back with no success - everyone is so generous with food. Unfortunately sis doesn't like almond paste and I was full so they weren't eaten.

IMG_1369_zpsxlnstkdg.jpg

More morning pastries. Changed over to cakes/pies/etc later.

IMG_1370_zpslr3qsutf.jpg

11:30a Solstice Theater. The second in command was giving a talk on navigation that looked interesting. Sis stayed in cabin to read.

IMG_1371_zpslxiidvgc.jpg

It was fairly well attended but pretty basic in scope and my interest waned. Internet reception was excellent in the Solstice Theater and I tried to be discreet with my phone down low and my head up often to look at slides. We did learn that they plan what route they'll take based on time and safety. Safety comes first. Ships no longer use paper charts but Celebrity has quadruple redundancy for electronic copies. Certain areas are out of bounds at various times for environmental reasons, such as whale migration/calving. There are always several folk on the bridge even when they're in port. Captain has the final say in everything. The question and answer session at the end was more enjoyable. Q. Do you expect Celebrity will go nuclear? No. Q. When will you be made a full captain? Do you have connections? Q. What happened after the dock mishap in Ketchikan? (The Celebrity Infinity hit in June) No direct answer on consequences. Q. How do you deal with tsunamis? Apparently if you're at sea then it's like a very large wave, it's the ships close to shore that need to move out of the way. Although I found a youtube video, 1000 Passenger Cruise Ship almost Down by the Tsunami, which was disturbing to watch.

12:31p Through library on way to cabin. It was a popular spot the next 2 days.

IMG_1372_zpsmfcxxkii.jpg

12:40 Me lounging on one couch, sis on the other.

IMG_1374_zpss90o5s2k.jpg

1:10p For the less lethargic there were dance/exercise classes regularly in the foyer. Fun to look down and watch. Sometimes folk on the upper levels were going through the motions as well. And yes, that's a live planted tree.

IMG_1375_zps3pnldmok.jpg

Artwork everywhere. Sis encouraged us to take the stairs.

IMG_1377_zpsqrjrukff.jpg

Every landing had different pieces.

IMG_1376_zpsdkmx97zm.jpg

Tons of activities - bingo, trivia, demonstrations, dancing, exercise, talks - but we were couch potatoes. Looked out at the water. I mostly caught up on email and facebook. I had brought along my kindle with several books but didn't read the entire time I was on Solstice. Sis read. I'm really not sure where the day went.

2:43p Sis back in comfies. We enjoyed the suite space.

IMG_1378_zpsn4kw73fl.jpg

We ate in Luminae 3 times and I didn't take a single picture. Criminal. We ate a light lunch as it was the second evening chic night - although smart casual every night in Luminae - so special dinner. There were a lot of photo drops scattered around the ship and photographers looking for customers. Some folk dressed very nicely but we didn't feel out of place walking around in our more casual dresses. Example for me was a JC Penney St. John's Bay sundress with a.n.a long sleeved black chiffon cardigan and open toe sling back black 2.75" sandals. A sparkly necklace and bracelet.

dresscardigan_zpsnlgjg53m.jpg

shoes_zpsfdqrb2ft.jpg

We saw one lady in evening gown and husband in tuxedo but that was a rarity - they looked marvelous, though. Stopped to compliment them. The dressed up kids were adorable. Most of them obviously enjoying their finery.

Dinner. I had the heirloom tomato salad appetizer. Sis had a taste of the English Pea Risotto - she can't say no to risotto. We split the Lobster (tail, O'Neil came and removed the shell without asking, standard practice around the dining room so wait for them to remove) and Chateaubriand. Delicious. Dessert cart again so we skipped dessert. The bread/pastry server brought out a small plate from the cart and said "Surprise!". Alas, the small plate was not exclusively chocolate. A neighboring table had ordered dessert and their unasked for cart plate sat untouched. We asked if we could pick out our own pieces from the cart. Yes, we could. She went back with me to the front room - the cart was stationary - and I pointed out most (not all!) of the chocolate selections - small truffles and filled chocolates and thin chocolate bark. There were macarons but no chocolate ones. We split them although it was hard with the gooey caramel.

There was a gathering in Michael's Club. Live music duo and officers so we stopped by. They were handing out champagne from a tray so I took one for my evening drink. Only my sis and another couple (none of them were drinking champagne... we wondered if the tray got heavy to hold after a while) when we arrived. We stayed for 2 songs. The singer had been one of our emergency lifeboat drill assist crew.

Early to bed. The clocks were changing back to Seattle time and we were losing an hour.