Iphone Photo Review Solstice Alaska 8/19-8/26

twins_to_alaska

5:37a Back at Pier 91 in Seattle.

IMG_1615_zpsmkmfhlyd.jpg

6:00a Saw a seal swimming.

IMG_1617_zpspanrletn.jpg

Everyone had to be out of their cabins by 8a. Sis had a friend who was picking us up at 8:45 and then driving me to the airport before they spent the morning together.

Sis luckily remembered that the gangway was on Deck 5, same as Michael's Club, so on our way to breakfast in Luminae we dropped the larger bags off there. We were carrying everything off with us although John had left us Zenith priority luggage tags the day earlier. Had heard the trick of taking the elevator up first (hopefully less crowded) so tried that. John gave us customs declaration cards to take with us and fill out.

7:44a One last time at our window table. Baggage unloading. They were super organized. As soon as a pallet of bags was unloaded a fork lift was in place and taking it into the terminal.

IMG_1621_zps71zostmk.jpg

We both decided on a 2 egg omelet. One ordered bacon and the other potatoes and we split the sides.

IMG_1622_zpsdpjpphyc.jpg

IMG_1623_zpsh1ljhqtz.jpg

By the time we were done eating it was striking 8 so we said goodbye to O'Neil, Paolo, and the other Luminae staff. They reminded us to fill out the survey. We had also dropped off comment cards praising O'Neil, Paolo, Nichola, and Marius earlier in the week at Guest Relations.

Back up to the 10th floor where we gathered our last things. Jose was knocking on the door by 8:03a. Time to go!

Back down the stairs to Michael's Club to retrieve our bags. John offered to walk us down the hall to the priority exit line which was wonderful and saved us a long line. John had been a great concierge.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

Walking through the terminal I was amazed at the amount of luggage waiting to be reunited with owners. Solstice on one side, Explorer of the Seas on the other. Customs was almost instantaneous. Just handed our form to an official as we walked by.

8:20a Outside the terminal.

IMG_1624_zpswdb6xf0a.jpg

Sis's friend had texted during breakfast that she was in the cell phone waiting lot. She had been concerned about traffic and had arrived early.

There are numbers overhead so you can let your ride know where you're standing. We headed to the end of the line.

IMG_1626_zpsovkiuz5m.jpg

In the vehicle at 8:33a. To SeaTac. Traffic wasn't too bad that Friday morning. Sad sister farewell. I used one of the kiosks to print a baggage tag and then checked my 25". With TSA pre-check security was fast. I was through and in the gate area by 9:25a.

I had a bit of a wait as my flight wasn't boarding until 12:20p, departing 12:50p. I had wanted to get to the airport early so I was happy to settle down with my kindle and free wifi at a window table. A nice couple asked to join me at one point and we had a chat. They had also cruised in the past to Alaska, their favorite cruise to date. Talked about the different ports.

Dilettante Chocolates was having a sale so bought 2 boxes.

Had time for lunch at Anthony's, excellent salmon and chips (with malt vinegar!), before I boarded.

IMG_1629_zpsdclcz8nz.jpg

IMG_1628_zpsp7zdujh9.jpg

My seatmates were a grandmother/granddaughter (high school teen) pair who had been on Explorer of the Seas!

Thanks all for reading along. I may post a few more pictures and observations as I think of them.

Yesterday, with the current Celebrity promotion, I was able to have a discount of $1267 applied to our onboard Caribbean Nov 2017 booking, all other perks and additional OBC stayed the same. So perhaps they'll be a second cruise in our future next year!

Edited by twins_to_alaska

Thanks to those who have commented positively.

I wanted to plug LoutheGlue's July 2015 awesome photo review, Photo Review Solstice Alaska June 26 to July 3, 2015

I really enjoyed looking at those pictures before I cruised.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2230637

patty1955 has 11 nights in Luminae

with menus and uneaten food pictures

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2361724&highlight=luminae+menu

Thank you very much, following and enjoying your review...

You got some fantastic shots! We will be in Victoria on Sept 24th so it was nice to see those pics. Alaska is one of our favourite routes so I always love to see other people's pictures and experiences. Thanks for your review!!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

What a wonderful review - thank you so much for taking the time to document your journey. My husband and I are going on this same cruise in May 2018 and I am having fun dreaming and planning (even if it is a little less than a year away) - it is our first Celebrity and Alaska cruise.