can you skip the first port?

SeeingTheWorldBySea

My friend did a closed loop cruise in Hawaii in June. She boarded the second day on Maui since she was already in Maui and didn't want to fly back to Oahu. Can't remember if it was NCL or RCL but they let her with talking to the cruise line before hand.

My friend did a closed loop cruise in Hawaii in June. She boarded the second day on Maui since she was already in Maui and didn't want to fly back to Oahu. Can't remember if it was NCL or RCL but they let her with talking to the cruise line before hand.

That would have been on NCL, since they are the only ones doing round trip from Honolulu, and the POA is a US flag ship, so there is no problem with the PVSA. If a foreign flag ship does a round trip from Honolulu, it must visit a foreign port, the closest of which is Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati, 700 miles south of the Big Island. And then, even if it went to Fanning, transporting a passenger from Maui to Honolulu on a foreign flag ship would be a violation of PVSA, so wouldn't be allowed. NCL's POA operates under a whole different set of rules since it is US flag, and the cruise is entirely within the state. US residents don't even need a birth certificate, just a photo ID to cruise.

To the OP. If they won't let you do this look into the Academy bus. It picks up at TF Green airport and brings you right to the port on NYC. It's for cruisers only. We did this for a cruise out of NY and it was easy and not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That would have been on NCL, since they are the only ones doing round trip from Honolulu, and the POA is a US flag ship, so there is no problem with the PVSA. If a foreign flag ship does a round trip from Honolulu, it must visit a foreign port, the closest of which is Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati, 700 miles south of the Big Island. And then, even if it went to Fanning, transporting a passenger from Maui to Honolulu on a foreign flag ship would be a violation of PVSA, so wouldn't be allowed. NCL's POA operates under a whole different set of rules since it is US flag, and the cruise is entirely within the state. US residents don't even need a birth certificate, just a photo ID to cruise.

That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info!

Well when we missed the embarkation in Tampa because of a late flight we met the ship at the next port, which happened to be Roatan ......we just called RCCL and told them of the trip delay and were told we either lost the cruise or catch up at the next port....missed a sea day but had an adventure to remember.....We booked own air so it wasn't through their air-sea program.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is not a cruise line policy. The Closed Loop rules are the result of the US Law.

This is an excellent explanation of the law that prevents this on a closed loop cruise. From the Carnival website but applies to all Closed Loop cruises departing and returning to the same US port.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/427/~/the-jones-act-%2F-passenger-services-act-%2F-cabotage-law

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

John Holland <re.vision@btinternet.com>

To:

"VShipp@celebritycruises.com" <VShipp@celebritycruises.com>,

Date:

21/09/2015 13:52

Subject:

summit April 2016

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

In amongst the all the jargonese, are they referring to the American "Jones Act", which prohibits foreign flagged vessels from carrying passengers or goods between US ports without a stopover at a foreign port in between?

Because St Thomas is a U.S. territory, and there are stops at the foreign ports of St.

Maarten and Bermuda before disembarkation in Bayonne, the Jones Act does not apply.

One small point. The "Jones Act" is not the applicable law that would apply in this situation in any event as that law has to do with cargo. The applicable law is the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act) of 1886 which has to do with passengers. It's a minor point and one that is often confused but thought I'd pass it on to you anyway.

Glad that it all got straightened out anyway and I hope that you had a good cruise.

Tom

Hi all, thank you for all the helpful responses. I was away for a few days and unable to call Princess but I did call this morning. So here is the response I got: yes it is "possible" but it has to be approved. Once a deposit is made the booking agent will submit a route sector change request form. Within a few days the booking will be updated if approved. I did put a cabin on hold.

I also called RCCL to ask their policy and it is possible with them as well. They call it down lining and within 24 hours of booking the request would be approved or denied.