We're Here!!! On VOLENDAM awnd Loving It!!

sail7seas

As soon as HAL announced Volendam would embark all of us in Canaveral, everything got easy. We had an uneventful, non-stop flight; DH had arranged for a car and driver to meet us. We were whisked off to the ship and boarded immediately at about 6:00 P.M.

The crew was amazing. They thought of andprovided for everyone's individual needs and had the dining room serving dinner; Lido had a wonderful selection and they remained open for very extended hours. It was absolutely perfect.

We found everyone aboard so welcoming and and interested in what pressures we may have encountered getting to the ship and they genuinely seemed so happy for us that we made it here. Surprisingly to me, well over `1,200 passengers were able to make alternate arrangements and were able to get to Canaveral in time for an 11: or 11:30 sailing.

It doesn't seem to us that it was something HAL had to do but they had an open bar for Happy Hour yesterday. Not just a free glass of champagne or whatever.....an open bar. NEVER have we seen so many people out and about as we saw yesterday afternoon when free drinks for all were being poured at every bar. Between 4:30 and 5:30, they placed wonderful trays of hors d'ouerves and they set up extra tables with bars and bartenders to enable everyone the chance to have their beverage of choice. This was their very generous (IMO) way of saying thank you for the inconveniences some suffered trying to reach the ship. Certainly it was not HAL's fault Port Everglades was closed....certainly not their fault Hurricane Wilmas chose to strike southern Florida.

Our luggage was delivered promptly. We found a bag had ripped someplace along the way and the Concierge efficiently and pleasantly dealt with it for us. Yesterday it was delivered to our cabin repaired and ready for us to use to get home with.

We had forgotten what a beautiful ship Volendam is and we are so enjoying seeing all of her beautiful art. The floral arrangements are always very appreciated by me and the displays here are gorgeous.

We have been enjoying truly excellent and attentive service. We've met up with lots of friendly faces from previous cruises and it is always a joy to see HAL friends. It never ceases to amaze me how they recognize so many of us from cruise to cruise.

Sheila is the Concierge in Neptune Lounge and is a delight. So very pleasant and happy to try to accomodate us in every possible way.

Yesterday we enjoyed a beautiful sea day and today a glorious day in St. Thomas. We fully expected rough seas but that has not been the case. Volendam rides so beautifully and it's a joy being aboard.

Dining Hours here are wonderful. Slightly different than other ships but we think most people are happier with these hours than the other ones we have come to expect. It's 5:30 for Upper Levewl; 6: for Lower; 7:45 for pper and 8:15 for Lower. Great IMO

Pinnacle offers lunce from 12:30 - 1:30 and dinner from 6:00 to 9:30.

There's no question we had some stress prior to arriving at Volendam but this crew and her officers have so extended themselves to soothe 'weary travelers'. DH has visibly shed the knots in his back and neck from the tension he was dealing with. Volendam is working magic on him.

Most here on this board know we love the 'dam' ships of HAL and Volendam is no exception. WE LOVE THIS SHIP; WE ARE LOVING OUR TIME HERE; WE ARE THRILLED WITH EVERY Minute aboard.

I don't expect to come to the Internet Cafe too much while aboard but will check back at least once to see if anyone has any questions they want me to try to answer.

I will say, there is a new Chef aboard and we are very much enjoying (way toooo much) his 'creations'. Our Room Service breakfasts are arriving exactly on time and hot and they are very much enjoyed on our veranda.

As the to the Big Band Cruise...we had forgotten that was going on here until we went to Crows Nest last night. IT WAS INCREDIBLE MUSIC. The place was packed; hundreds were dancing, the bar was hopping and the music GREAT.

This ship is spotless and so well cared for. I'm carefully noticing as much as possible as I'm eager to compare the changes we'll see when we return here in January after her drydock.

Off to rest a bit before dinner........

Sail, Thanks so much for taking time out of your wonderful cruise to report all is wonderful. I am so glad you are enjoying yourself.The Big Band part sound like it was be totally enjoyable. I have no questions just hope everything continues to be wonderful. See you back on line next weekend:)

Thanks for posting sail7seas! I know that alot of us have been thinking about you.

Be sure to check out the interesting plaques and pictures that the Volendam received in 2002 when she made maiden port arrivals during her Asia Pacific cruise.

After spending 84 days aboard her, I totally agree: the Volendam is a lovely, wonderful ship!

Enjoy your cruise!!

sail, since you weren't posting I knew you were sailing, but it's good to hear from you that all is well. I'm happy that it all worked out for you, the2ofus, and for so many others.

No need to answer while you're still enjoying yourself, but I will want to know which Big Band is playing, and how you find them. Oh, and just how much they play! When I had a Big Band cruise they played a great deal in many venues.

Thanks for checking in.

Sail, So glad to hear your unplanned "adventure" turned out fine for you and the other pax. We so enjoyed our prior cruise on the Volendam that we are anxiously awaiting our b2b on her for the holidays. Understand that will be her first voyage after dry dock. Whoopeee!

May your time on board be filled with blue skies and calm seas.

Bellebaby,

Thanks for the info about the suite breakfast. We were on the Volendam in April and they didn't have it then. This was something we really used to enjoy in past years and were pleased to see that it has been continued on some of the ships, maybe all of them.

S7S - Should you happen to pass #7016, please give a small thought to Sonny & I - we so enjoyed that cabin on our last sailing...

I am SO glad all has turned out well - you have been in my thoughts, though I've been out of touch - I'll fill you in when you return. :)

I sincerely hope you ENJOY your cruise :) - the Volendam is a beauty, isn't she?

Laura

sail7seas

I am so glad that you were able to make it on board -- those of us on the Oct 16-26 cruise tried to take special care of the ship even though we left her in Port Canaveral instead of Port Everglades.

I hope that your cruise is as wonderful as ours was.

Sail ... It sounds like you are really having a fabulous time!! I'm so glad to read about it! Your post has me getting even more excited about my cruise onboard the Volendam in January!!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise! I'll be anxious to talk to you when you get back!

(Please say hello to our friend for me!)

Hi All....

Everything is wonderful aboard and we're having a great cruise.

Weather has been far better than we expected and seas have been smooth.

We had an amazing evening in the dining room tonight. They have instituted a Master Chef's Dinner and we soo enjoyed it. It is first being presented on VODM and everyone really enjoyed the 'dinner theatre' experience. It was wonderful fun and I'll explain in depth when we get home but we felt very lucky to have the treat of 'seeing it first' before it reaches other ships.

Our cruise has flown by and we will hate to see it end.... We still have the highlight of HMC to look forward to. Fingers crossed conditions enable us to stop there.

In response to the question.....Suite passengers are invited to have breakfast in King's Room if they wish.

More when we return home.

Hi All....

Everything is wonderful aboard and we're having a great cruise.

Weather has been far better than we expected and seas have been smooth.

We had an amazing evening in the dining room tonight. They have instituted a Master Chef's Dinner and we soo enjoyed it. It is first being presented on VODM and everyone really enjoyed the 'dinner theatre' experience. It was wonderful fun and I'll explain in depth when we get home but we felt very lucky to have the treat of 'seeing it first' before it reaches other ships.

Our cruise has flown by and we will hate to see it end.... We still have the highlight of HMC to look forward to. Fingers crossed conditions enable us to stop there.

In response to the question.....Suite passengers are invited to have breakfast in King's Room if they wish.

More when we return home.

Archived